Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Ultra with headlight short??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 AM
TimHixson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Ultra with headlight short??

I am new to touring bikes as I just sold my Sportster this past Sunday and picked up a 94 Ultra on Wednesday.

I need advise / help with two things.

First, I know I need a shop manual. Where should I get one? Is there a supporting vendor on here that carries them? Do I want the Harley one, Cymers or other brand of manual? I have also seem them for download for a fee? What is the recomended route?

Now for the bike problem...

The high beam indicator is on in the dash no matter what position I have the headlight switch. When the switch is on low beam, the two outside flood lights work and are bright, but the headlight does not come on. When I switch to high beam, the headlight comes on but the flood lights stay on and all three are pretty dim.

I think I have either a stuck relay or a shorted wire. Has anyone seen this before?

I did a search here and read a bunch of threads, but did not see my same problem.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the lighting to get me by til I can buy a manual?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tim

Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Go get the manual. I think the true HD one for your year is good for a start. I am not a fan of buy everything from HD but they seem to be good.
With the head light first just pull the headlight bucket out. Take a look see. Never know if somebody did anything. Get a light probe and check feed for high and low beam and ground. Don't worry to much about the passing lights being on both high and low as some guys have them wired that way. Also don't be afraid to look at the bulb,sometimes its just the filament broken and crossing both low and high. Check voltage at headlight. Those are just starts till you get to study your wiring diagram. Good luck on your new bike. Some guys in the EVO section own those year bikes and are real helpful.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM
TimHixson
Intermediate

Thanks. I will check the bulb and see if any wires have been modified in the headlight bucket. It looks like the high and low light power circuits are seperated at the handle bar switch. I will also start tracing the wires there.

Tim

Old 04-13-2013, 02:45 PM
TimHixson
Intermediate

It was the light bulb. All is good now.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

cheep fix.

good detective work.

the clymers or haynes are very general- get the H-D factory service manual- it'll pay for itself first time out...like with detailed correct wiring diagrams.

mike