Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Longer Clutch Cable with Stock Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:31 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Longer Clutch Cable with Stock Bars?

I'm in the process of replacing my exhaust on 2013 RG and thought it would be a good time to replace the stock clutch cable with a Platinum Series from Barnett. I plan on installing 12" Outlawz in the near future and to avoid taking off the exhaust again, I was going to put a +3" or +4" clutch cable on the bike now with the stock bars. My question is do you think the added 3" or 4" cable length will cause adjustment problems with the clutch while using the stock RG bars? This is strictly to save future labor and not have to take the exhaust off again when installing the 12" Outlawz with new braided clutch cable. Thanks for any advise...

Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

you'll be able to adjust no problem. as always the cable adjustment is done AFTER clutch adjustment- if your clutch is good before, it'll need no adjustment, so just adjust the cable- you are adjusting the inner cable to the length of the sheath.

here is where it gets sticky:

if you have a big loop of cable, and it hangs up on something, then your bars are locked !

This happened to a Rider here on the forum last year on his Road King...improperly routed cable looped around turn signal while parked...he started the bike, couldn't straighten and dumped it hard

when swapping the cable, the trick is to loosen the trap door bolts ( just crack them), then roll the bike up on a 2x4, and lean on the jiffy.

when you take the cover off all the fluid will stay in the tranny except maybe a table spoon.

after the cable swap, tighten the bolts hand tight- enough so that they'll seal- and roll the bike off the 2x4.

then torque- the revised torque value is 25 ft lbs, use blue locktite.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-14-2013 at 03:39 PM.