Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG Fairing NOT fitting on RE-INSTALL

Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 PM
SweeetHemi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RG Fairing NOT fitting on RE-INSTALL

DILEMMA OF THE DAY: Trying to reinstall the 2013 Road Glide outer fairing after both inner and outer fairings were removed for DAYMAKER HEADLAMP Assembly, BIKETRONICS 6.5 Speaker and Amp kit and new Apes.. We tried for hours moving wires and repositioning the radio bracket sliding it up and down with the inner fairing and no go! I have heard about fitment problems with RG fairings but this is rediculous! I was spent after the first couple hours and we put the reinstall on hold till tomorrow. Problem is the Top outer and inner fairings where windshield goes will not meet together and and have a 1"+ gap where windshield mounts...and the bottom was a PITA too.

Any tips would be Greatly appreciated!

Last edited by SweeetHemi; 04-28-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a breath have a smoke and a shot of tequila and it will fall right in place....

Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by SweeetHemi
DILEMMA OF THE DAY WAS trying to reinstall the 2013 Road Glide outer fairing after both inner and outer fairings were removed for paint and new Bars.. We tried for hours moving wires and repositioning the radio bracket sliding it up and down with the inner fairing and no go! I have heard about firment problems with rg fairings but this is rediculous! I was spent after the first couple hours and we put the tssk on hold till tomorrow. Top outer and inner fairings where windshield goes will not meet together and bottom was a PITA too.

Any tips would be Greatly appreciated!
ok big guy, here is what you need to do, there are two ways to put the fairing back on, one with the headlights and one without, your choice.

putting the fairing back on with the headlights installed is easiest for ME, so you have to get the fairing aligned and make certain the outer edges are spread out. Place the fairing up to the dash and lift the fairing while pushing it forward. The object is to push the mounting bracket into the holes and then let the fairing slightly tilt downward catching the mounting hole upper edges. It may take you one or two tries to capture the mounting brackets but it can be done, do not worry about breaking anything, you really can't unless you are slamming the fairing. I have success with this method within 3 tries every time.

the second method is to take the headlights out of the fairing front and mount the fairing so you can see the hooks catch the mounting holes. Once the fairing is installed, then you need to plug in your headlights and snap them into the fairing. Three mounting holes and make certain the adjustment snap into place.

Either works and should be easily accomplished. Hope this helps

PS, it is alot harder to get the fairing properly re-attached if your headlights are Daymakers. I found this out after installing them, so if you have Daymakers, you also need lots of patience. i have had 7 roadglides of the course of the last 10 years, fairing install difficulty went up by a factor of 3 after Daymaker install. Be patient

Last edited by bigskyroadglide; 04-28-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 PM
SweeetHemi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
ok big guy, here is what you need to do, there are two ways to put the fairing back on, one with the headlights and one without, your choice.

putting the fairing back on with the headlights installed is easiest for ME, so you have to get the fairing aligned and make certain the outer edges are spread out. Place the fairing up to the dash and lift the fairing while pushing it forward. The object is to push the mounting bracket into the holes and then let the fairing slightly tilt downward catching the mounting hole upper edges. It may take you one or two tries to capture the mounting brackets but it can be done, do not worry about breaking anything, you really can't unless you are slamming the fairing. I have success with this method within 3 tries every time.

the second method is to take the headlights out of the fairing front and mount the fairing so you can see the hooks catch the mounting holes. Once the fairing is installed, then you need to plug in your headlights and snap them into the fairing. Three mounting holes and make certain the adjustment snap into place.

Either works and should be easily accomplished. Hope this helps

PS, it is alot harder to get the fairing properly re-attached if your headlights are Daymakers. I found this out after installing them, so if you have Daymakers, you also need lots of patience. i have had 7 roadglides of the course of the last 10 years, fairing install difficulty went up by a factor of 3 after Daymaker install. Be patient

BIGSKY:
That's exactly what I installed "The Daymaker" along with The Biketronics 6.5 Speaker and amp kit (mounted on the radio) Everytime I put the Outer fairing into the "Holder" on the radio chassis...It goes on but the top fairings do not come together. Ive re-routed wires and even loosened the radio chassis and slid it up and pulled the inner fairing down and retightened...Still not the answer. Should the Radio chassis and inner fairing both be slide down or up where the mesh together? I know im making this a HUGE sounding project as once I figure it out Ill probably punch myself in the throat!!! (PS: I will edit my question at the beginning of this thread so others will be aware of the Daymaker and Biketronics Kit too.)

I have yet to remove the Daymaker assembly and try reinstalling without it in the outer fairing...that's a good idea. Any other tips you or anyone can chime in??

Thanks ahead of time guys...greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by SweeetHemi; 04-28-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 PM
tkbalt
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever get this resolved? I just changed my Windshield and found that the top fairings do not come together. I had always left the shield on and had not noticed before.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:50 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

It's probably hung up on the hangers if its all stock. Remove and replace makingbure that its on the hangers. For some its easier to do it with the headlamp out you can see the fairing slide over the hangers.

If this happened after installing the day maker headlamp I've read that there was a bracket problem something about the headlamp adjusters not fitting through the inner fairing holes

Old 08-04-2013, 03:37 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Leave the headlight bucket out until you get it stabbed in place. Otherwise you are going to have a meltdown and blow someone's brains out.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

It's much easier without the headlight on my batwing. It's much lighter and allows you to use the headlight hole to see what is causing the fitment issues. It may work the same for you on that shark nosed bastard.