Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Finished Cat Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
claytucc3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Finished Cat Removal

So I removed the cat from my spare header yesterday. I used the coupon method and cut out a side of the mid chamber. Those cats are difficult to get out. I pried one side and worked a screw driver and a small pry bar under it until it eventually came off. Then I used an angle grinder and ground/polished the metal.

I have to say that the boring method will only remove 1/2 of the pipe. There is absolutely no way to remove the lower half of the cat material that covers the lower pipe without cutting it open.

Overall, the project took me about 2.5 hours total. I will be intalling the header onto my bike tomorrow along with the Fuel Moto tuned Power Vision.

Last edited by claytucc3; 05-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree - I'm in the process of boring mine out and it's removing the material well. The spade bit works a lot better than I expected in removing the material.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 805 Likes on 436 Posts

The chamber is much larger than the spade bit can get to. You can remove a good deal of material with it, but there will be a lot left.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Thumbs up

I Just removed mine. I cut a window in the back side of the pipe which is easy to get wider than the actual cat material. I used the screw driver method to get it out (only busted one) then polished the area and welded it back together. Bike runs better, is cooler on the leg and sounds way better!!!

Overall I am very happy and would highly recommend doing it!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:31 PM
aces25
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ultra103
The chamber is much larger than the spade bit can get to. You can remove a good deal of material with it, but there will be a lot left.
I'll post a picture when I'm finished - I can almost guarantee I can get 99% of it removed. Unless you've attempted the method, you can only speculate.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Harleydaddy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePointman
I Just removed mine. I cut a window in the back side of the pipe which is easy to get wider than the actual cat material. I used the screw driver method to get it out (only busted one) then polished the area and welded it back together. Bike runs better, is cooler on the leg and sounds way better!!!

Overall I am very happy and would highly recommend doing it!
This is the method I used. Very easy, virtually cost free, and very effective. So glad I did it!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

The easy way to get the Cat out is to buy a 2013 with the Cats in the muffler. Then all you have to do is remove the muffler, sweet! If the Cat is in the head pipe of the older models, try holding catnip up to the header pipe and the Cat should just jump out. Alot easier than all that cutting, and gutting.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM
claytucc3
Tourer

Originally Posted by aces25
I'll post a picture when I'm finished - I can almost guarantee I can get 99% of it removed. Unless you've attempted the method, you can only speculate.
A picture wouldn't be able to show the remaining material from the cat. I was going to drill it out at first too. I helped my buddy do it about a year ago (mostly watched and drank beer). I can see how you can get a good deal of the cat if you leverage and move the bit a bunch. However, I do not see how is physically possible to remove all of the material on the lower pipe.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
claytucc3
Tourer

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
The easy way to get the Cat out is to buy a 2013 with the Cats in the muffler. Then all you have to do is remove the muffler, sweet! If the Cat is in the head pipe of the older models, try holding catnip up to the header pipe and the Cat should just jump out. Alot easier than all that cutting, and gutting.

Are you sure they are in the mufflers? That doesn't sound correct to me. I know international models come with the cats in the mufflers. If HD put the cats in the mufflers here in the United States it would be illegal for dealers to change slip-ons.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM
aces25
Road Master

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Softail, different animal.

Quick Reply: Just Finished Cat Removal