Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling Template for TOUR-PAK WRAP-AROUND LED LIGHT KITS 67914-10

Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Anyone have the drilling template for TOUR-PAK WRAP-AROUND LED LIGHT KITS 67914-10

Does anyone have the drilling template for the 67914-10 version of the CVO LED tour pak light kit? My frame has been at the painter for a few weeks now (they're having trouble matching the White Hot Denim), but I can't find the drilling template, and don't want to "wing it" on the four screws that mount from the inside of the tour pak into the frame at the leading edges of each corner. The seven holes for the lights themselves (plus the one for the wiring) shouldn't be TOO hard to get right, but those corner screws are what's problematic. Worse yet- I don't even have the frame yet, and likely won't for at least another week or so, since the painter is trying to get the match right.

This is for the previous SLIM (-10) version of the Tour Pak LED light kit; the current (-11) part number has a lot more plastic on the ends, probably to better cover the original incandescent bulb kits from older King tour paks.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vhmike73; 05-02-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 PM
stonesmith
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got it , been drilled thru but probably still useable

Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Stonesmith,

What do you want for it???

PM me...

Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick question:

Did you buy the 67914-10 kit, or did you buy a CVO light that you're trying to put on a non-CVO bike?

Reason I ask, is that the only difference between the 67914-10 and the newer -11 part number (67931-11) was the addition of Run/Stop/Turn functionality. The housing used on the CVO Ultras was completely different. The P&A kits were made to replace the stock tour pak lights on the Ultra Classic, which required the wider plastic to cover the huge holes left behind once the stock bulb housings were removed, but the CVO's were purpose built without having the huge holes in the tour pak, therefor a much smaller housing was used. Both housings will hold the same LED units.

I have installed both, the big kit on my '09, and the small CVO style on my SESG. The template included with the P&A kits is completely useless with the smaller housings, and as far as I could determine, there is no template for the CVO style units. I had to wing it.

What I found helpful, was to cover the back and rear corners of the tour pak with painters masking tape. Then:
1) Remove the LED units from the housing, and test fit the housing to the tour pak to figure out the mounting height. it should only sit completely flush in one spot. Mark the location of the top of the housing with a pen on the masking tape.
2) Re-install the LED units, and apply a small dab of toothpaste to the end of each of the 7 protruding studs.
3) Try to position the complete unit at the height you marked earlier. You might have to rock it from right to left to make sure all 7 bolts touch the tape, leaving a toothpaste dot behind.
4) Drill holes in the seven toothpaste locations. The instructions for the P&A kit say to use like a 3/8 bit or something...that's overkill. I think I got away with a 1/4 bit.
5) The hole for the LED wiring should be 1/2" and you can measure the location from the left stud on the center LED unit.
6) Place the unit on the tour pak, routing the LED wiring through the big hole. All bolts will hopefully line up easily.
7) Use a pen or pencil to trace the profile of the sides of the LED lamp housing where it wraps around the tour pak, then remove the housing again. This should allow you to take measurements for the side holes, and mark them properly on the tape. Drill the holes for the side screws. Again....a 3/16-1/4" bit should be more than enough and should allow you some leeway.
8) Now you just have to decide whether or not you will be using the antennas. If so, measure up from the outside LED stud locations, and drill the holes for the antenna studs. The CB stud is tiny, so a 1/4" hole is more than enough. You'll need to drill the AM/FM hole at 1/2-9/16".
9) Reinstall the unit, routing the wires through the big hole you drilled earlier. Install the 7 nuts and 4 screws, and you're good to go.

Hope this helps. I know it sucks not having the template, but if I was able to do it on a $1400 CVO tour pak without screwing anything up, you should be fine.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

I have the CVO light for a non-CVO bike...

I'll try your suggested method. I'd actually DO this, but the frame is still at the painter.

Appreciate the help (especially the drill sizing)!

Originally Posted by Rocketman69
Quick question:

Did you buy the 67914-10 kit, or did you buy a CVO light that you're trying to put on a non-CVO bike?

Reason I ask, is that the only difference between the 67914-10 and the newer -11 part number (67931-11) was the addition of Run/Stop/Turn functionality. The housing used on the CVO Ultras was completely different. The P&A kits were made to replace the stock tour pak lights on the Ultra Classic, which required the wider plastic to cover the huge holes left behind once the stock bulb housings were removed, but the CVO's were purpose built without having the huge holes in the tour pak, therefor a much smaller housing was used. Both housings will hold the same LED units.

I have installed both, the big kit on my '09, and the small CVO style on my SESG. The template included with the P&A kits is completely useless with the smaller housings, and as far as I could determine, there is no template for the CVO style units. I had to wing it.

What I found helpful, was to cover the back and rear corners of the tour pak with painters masking tape. Then:
1) Remove the LED units from the housing, and test fit the housing to the tour pak to figure out the mounting height. it should only sit completely flush in one spot. Mark the location of the top of the housing with a pen on the masking tape.
2) Re-install the LED units, and apply a small dab of toothpaste to the end of each of the 7 protruding studs.
3) Try to position the complete unit at the height you marked earlier. You might have to rock it from right to left to make sure all 7 bolts touch the tape, leaving a toothpaste dot behind.
4) Drill holes in the seven toothpaste locations. The instructions for the P&A kit say to use like a 3/8 bit or something...that's overkill. I think I got away with a 1/4 bit.
5) The hole for the LED wiring should be 1/2" and you can measure the location from the left stud on the center LED unit.
6) Place the unit on the tour pak, routing the LED wiring through the big hole. All bolts will hopefully line up easily.
7) Use a pen or pencil to trace the profile of the sides of the LED lamp housing where it wraps around the tour pak, then remove the housing again. This should allow you to take measurements for the side holes, and mark them properly on the tape. Drill the holes for the side screws. Again....a 3/16-1/4" bit should be more than enough and should allow you some leeway.
8) Now you just have to decide whether or not you will be using the antennas. If so, measure up from the outside LED stud locations, and drill the holes for the antenna studs. The CB stud is tiny, so a 1/4" hole is more than enough. You'll need to drill the AM/FM hole at 1/2-9/16".
9) Reinstall the unit, routing the wires through the big hole you drilled earlier. Install the 7 nuts and 4 screws, and you're good to go.

Hope this helps. I know it sucks not having the template, but if I was able to do it on a $1400 CVO tour pak without screwing anything up, you should be fine.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 PM
stonesmith
Cruiser

I don't want anything for it ,be glad to mail it to ya if you wanna pm your adress

Old 05-04-2013, 06:56 AM
stonesmith
Cruiser

Pretty sure the 67914-10 is the CVO light assembly. I have the 67853-10 (same model with red lens instead of smoke). It is the CVO light with the small sides on the bezel. In the instructions http://www.choppermonkey.com/images/67914-10.pdf the bezel for both kits is listed as part #68072-10(+paint code) which is the CVO bezel ,you can look it up here : http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmcThe template that I have is the one listed in these instructions that came with the light . I'm pretty sure this is the template you need . It worked for me. You are certainly welcome to it. just let me know

Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I stand corrected. I didn't even know that kit existed. Wouldn't mind making a copy of that template after he's done with it for future use, if you don't mind.

My confusion stems from this:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05090.pdf

In these instructions (for the kit with the big housing....which is the only one still available) the parts breakdown mentions the part numbers you listed.....which is obviously incorrect. The P&A guys really need a better proof-reader.

Last edited by Rocketman69; 05-04-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:47 AM
stonesmith
Cruiser

[quote=Rocketman69;11251330]I stand corrected. I didn't even know that kit existed. Wouldn't mind making a copy of that template after he's done with it for future use, if you don't mind.

Not a problem rocketman ,you'd be welcome to use it too

Old 05-04-2013, 02:57 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Stonesmith- I'll PM my address, and can make a copy and send to Rockeman69, OR I can have him PM me his address and I can send it to him to send BACK to you...

PM coming from me though, regardless!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drilling Template for TOUR-PAK WRAP-AROUND LED LIGHT KITS 67914-10