Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle "Slippage"?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle "Slippage"?????

Rode my 2011 Limited to work last night, and for probably only the third time, I actually used the heated grips. I turned them all the way up to 6, and once I felt the warmth, I backed them off to setting 3. After about 10 minutes of riding along on cruise control, I was coming to a slower area, so I rolled the throttle forward to disengage the cruise. Instead of feeling the normal stop of the throttle being all the way forward, it just kept going and did not disengage the cruise. I touched the brake and shut the cruise down, and the throttle seemed to work normally, but ever since, it's been the same way. It actually feels like there is a stop built in that my grip is "skipping" over. Not sure if the heated grips were involved, or what, but the throttle is still doing it. Anyone else ever have this happen? Guess it's a trip to the dealer and a warranty job (hopefully)

Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

the throttle does go "over center"...past the detent-- that is to engage EITMS and should turn off cruise.

is that what you mean?

the potentiometer for the throttle has a gear on it which engages teeth inside the grip- that mechanism can wear or break or get out of alignment ( and some riders reported that on Krapkin grips the teeth were breaking internally).

the throttle position "zero" can be reset;

do NOT touch the right grip, kill switch in "on" position

using your right hand, cycle the ign on until the pump shuts off, then turn ign off. wait a moment

repeat 3 more times

try to get in the habit of allowing the rpms to fall to normal idle when stopping- then use your right hand to turn off ign- do not use kill switch

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
TMOUT
Tourer

The throttle used to work correctly as you describe, slight roll forward from "0" position to turn off cruise and engage/disengage EITMS, but now it keeps turning past the point where it used to stop, I can rotate the grip almost half way around the bar and still not shut off cruise. And like I said, it feel like it's almost but not quite catching a groove or stop that it used to hit. Hope my description makes sense.........

Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM
stryker67
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that happen with my 12 Roadglide.. I think the glue or what ever holds the grip in place does not like heat.. Mine are not heated but we had several 100+ degree days last year around the time I noticed it.. I had my bike in a couple weeks ago because my cruise control quit working they replaced the switch and the grip..

Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
TMOUT
Tourer

Hey guys, guess I'm first in line for "Dumbass of the week". I forgot that I had changed my levers over to chrome, and I guess when I loosened off the right grip to change the lever, it must have moved slightly down the bar, and once I was actually out riding, the cog wasn't fully engaged on the gear for the TBW, thus the forward stop was being missed. I only realized this once I took a good look at it and saw that the grip itself seemed to have a lot of side to side play. Backed off the mounting screws and gently moved the assembly back up the bar a little and voila, no more slippage. Man do I feel like a putz! Oh well, live and learn.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Mike000
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good you found the problem, but were you riding through a blizzard? Turning the grips to 6 would near melt my gloves on my bike!

Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 PM
TMOUT
Tourer

LOL! No blizzard, just a very chilly ride at 11:00pm. I figured putting them up to 6 then backing it down to 3 would warm them up quicker, and it sure did! Leaving them on 6 would definitely have resulted in some burned palms, I think they get hotter than the heated grips on my sled!!

Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you figured it out. I know what you mean about the hand melting grips, I have not had mine past 4 in 35 degree weather, palms were sweating. I like the the root beer, I almost got that one to, it was on the floor next to my cherry red sunglow/merlot. Both colors POP in the sun. I was on the fence trying to decide then my daughter told me she likes the red one better, glad she made such a good choice, lol. Do a search for my username without the 6, there is my bike. I lost the old account I had, cant get an email reminder because it dont exist anymore, mailed the webmasters here about getting old pw mailed to my new email, no response yet. Anyway, glad you got it fixed, stay safe.