Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diamond in the rough #2, rebuild of a FLHS

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Did your machinist THOROUGHLY scrub those cylinders after boring them? I would scrub them again for assurance. Get a bucket filled with HOT water and dish soap, put a cylinder in the water and using a good bore sized brush scrub the hell out of them about 4 times. Then rinse with hot water and immediately blow them dry including the passages and then oil.

I learned the hard way on this years ago. I had a "75 Sportster that I had the local Harley dealer bore my cylinders and fit pistons to. I pulled them off then reinstalled after getting them back. I only lightly cleaned with some carb cleaner, figuring the shop had cleaned them. Well, after I got out on the interstate and up to speed (and temperature) the thing seized up. Fortunately it started back up but it knocked bad and both cylinders were scored and the pistons junk. The shop blamed me for not cleaning them and I got to pay a second time for pistons and honing. Now I don't do any rebuild without a severe cylinder scrubbing.

Can't remember any issues in the past like that. But I'll give them another cleaning for good measure. Didn't really consider it, but I've never used this machine shop before. Ill see him this week and will ask what his process was.

Thanks
Mike

Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 PM
FLHPete
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Curious about the air cleaner...gonna go with the stocker?

Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLHPete
Curious about the air cleaner...gonna go with the stocker?

yeah, i'll stick with the s&s one for now. it's pretty scratched up. so i'll be looking for something to change it to sometime in the future

thanks
mike

Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 PM
FLHPete
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Haha, no one keeps that original breadbox air cleaner - but I would if I were you

Seriously, good luck on the project - my shovel was a pain in the butt, but I would do it again if I could afford it...

Old 11-30-2013, 11:30 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain

I apologize for letting this thread fall off. My regular computer went down and life got busy.

So I finished the bike and enjoyed the hell out of it for a while. Then the expense of having a baby settled in and I decided to sell it. Surprisingly sold in 3 days.

I picked up a neglected ironhead to chop up and keep myself on 2 wheels. That project is on the back burner for now. Our son was born on Veterans Day and has kept me busy.

Here's a start up video of the shovel when I was selling it

Here's Michael, well worth the trade off. I'll buy another touring bike in a few years after we move.

Here's how the shovel turned out. Ran and rode beautifully. I can't wait to buy and build another. By far my favorite harley. I will get one with hard bags next time though

The ugly ironhead (sportster). Going to chop the back half of the frame up and make a custom little chopper.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom T-Bird
Followed your last build, looking forward to this one. I agree that the Fat Boy front end needs to go.
+10 on the fat boy wheels I don't like them even on a fat boy but that' just me.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 AM
popzz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, you turned out a nice looking FLHS.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 AM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain

Originally Posted by popzz
Mike, you turned out a nice looking FLHS.

Thanks.

And I agree about the fat boy wheels. I had planned to swap out for some spoke wheels when the tires wore out. And I had a proper FLH fender ready for it.

Mike

Old 01-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Gizz
Stage IV
Default Fat Boy wheels

Does anyone know what's involved in putting Fatboy wheels on a 1990 FLHS. I guess I should use one from a EVO?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Jimdgreat1
Advanced

I'm needing a 83/84 or so flh to make a road king look a like. Hard bubble bags and black and white paint. Keep on restoring and fixing these low mile special bikes.

Quick Reply: diamond in the rough #2, rebuild of a FLHS