Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is High Mileage ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:25 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of good advice to the op question.
For me, mileage is secondary to documented maintenance, service, warranty, upgrades, etc. records; appearance of obvious care; and how it rides.
Mileage is just another documentation record.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Dana Lee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im at 76K... Recent rebuild with the same 95" as before. Long as you take proper care, maintain them on a regular basis, they last. Mine is well beyond high miles, but she still runs good and always brings me home :-)

Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Retired miles dont count!
You dog!

I stopped by a guy's house out here in the country yesterday beccause he'd gotten his lawn tractor stuck in the ditch by the road. He recognized me as the guy that rides by his house at 5:00 a.m. every day and asked me if I worked at the Federal prison in Butner, Nc. ( That's where Bernie Madoff lives now.) They run 12 hour shifts there apparently.

I wanted to know why he thought that and he said because I come by his house in 12 hour cycles. I told him that I was a Dispatcher at the Concrete plant and just worked too much!

Of course an 80 mile round trip does spin the odometer a bit...

As was said, it's maintenance. 5,000 mile services, replacing wheel bearings, motor mounts, swingarm rubbers, crankshaft sensors etc before they fail, and the bike still runs as well as it did at 20,000. Yesterday I replaced the lifters and rocker shafts because I thought it was finally time. ( Second time on lifters, first time on the rockers.) It's just maintanence.

I go on solo 1500 mile trips and would never doubt my bike's reliability to get me where I'm going.

Last edited by Stiggy; 05-12-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got 42,000 on my 2006 FLHXI now, most of them mine. I never think about the mileage unless I'm checking it to see if maintenance is due. Still looks and runs perfectly.

Test rode a 2012 FLHTK a few months ago... thought about it long and hard... and in the end, I decided mine was good enough. I still love it, and she's been good to me.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:59 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamMudd
well according to the dealer that looked at my 07 street bob when i considered trading ..... 8500 was "high mileage, so that's why we couldn't offer you full trade in value".... rip-offs... so if you want a fair trade in don't go to Renegade Harley in Alexandria La!!

a friend of ours bought an ultra classic for a really good price considering it had 70,000 miles on it... it is an 06, and runs and rides pretty good for it's year and mileage... dealer was honest and said it was what they considered "high mileage" and gave him a decent warranty (not aftermarket). met a guy when i traded mine at a much better dealer that had 108K on his 02 classic and planned on riding it till he couldn't ride on 2 wheels anymore!
Good Post .. 8500 is not High Mileage for a Bike that is 6 months old to me .. I did have 68,00 on my 09 Ultra when Traded it in and the 13's had just come out so was a 4 year old Bike An that's still less than 20K a Year but didn't argue about the High Mileage thing until they told me it should not have over 25K for 4 years I just laughed and scrapped a little more and they upped the trade in a little .. Saw it on the Floor 2 Days Later Priced for what they offered me Trade in Came back 4 days later and it was gone ..

Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 AM
birdmandave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought the 07 UC, it had 16888 when I rolled off the lot. Since we ride year round in fla one could expect higher mileage. I put 10k on the 01 UC in less than a year riding it to work whenever I could.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
You dog!

I stopped by a guy's house out here in the country yesterday beccause he'd gotten his lawn tractor stuck in the ditch by the road. He recognized me as the guy that rides by his house at 5:00 a.m. every day and asked me if I worked at the Federal prison in Butner, Nc. ( That's where Bernie Madoff lives now.) They run 12 hour shifts there apparently.

I wanted to know why he thought that and he said because I come by his house in 12 hour cycles. I told him that I was a Dispatcher at the Concrete plant and just worked too much!

Of course an 80 mile round trip does spin the odometer a bit...

As was said, it's maintenance. 5,000 mile services, replacing wheel bearings, motor mounts, swingarm rubbers, crankshaft sensors etc before they fail, and the bike still runs as well as it did at 20,000. Yesterday I replaced the lifters and rocker shafts because I thought it was finally time. ( Second time on lifters, first time on the rockers.) It's just maintanence.

I go on solo 1500 mile trips and would never doubt my bike's reliability to get me where I'm going.
Yep. When you get the #'s up there a lot more stuff becomes maintenance. Stuff that isnt on HD's chart. Only things ive never touched are the steering head and front lowers.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean doesn't always mean, well taken care of, or dirty for un-maintained. I ride my bike 365, unless there is snow or ice on ground for forecasted. I have the bike detailed in the spring and summer, and just give it a quick cleaning a couple times a month. But, the bike is not show room clean. What is high miles will vary depending on who you are talking to, I ride 25 to 30K a year, I want my bikes to go over 150K miles. I have all the scheduled maintenance done as it should be, I expect the bike to see 200K.

Last edited by Markk9; 05-12-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think maintenance is a lot more important than miles

Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 AM
BikerPaul
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at 115K with my 04 EGC, 95" stage IV. Replacing it this summer, only because Harley is dropping the classic. If I buy an ultra, there will be a large, expensive pile of new parts laying in the corner of the garage!

Quick Reply: What is High Mileage ?