Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigarette lighter

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Cigarette lighter

When I plug accessories into my cigarette lighter port in the fairing of my FL I've blown fuses. Someone told me there is a difference between a cig lighter port and a accessory port. Has anyone heard of this, and if you replaced your lighter port for an accessory port, could you let me know what you used, ( company, manufacturer, part number, ect. ) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jonnierock

Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM
DPelletier
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumor is that HD wired some of the cigarette lighters backwards (body not centre pin hot). This doesn't affect the lighter but would affect most accessories; check it with a test light.

I (and many others) use the cigarette lighter plug in the batwing for my GPS with no problems.

Dave

Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Baggrmark
Cruiser

My 06 was wired backward from the factory. I swapped the wires around, no more fuses blown. Very simple fix, and will then power my gps and chargers.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Rumor is that HD wired some of the cigarette lighters backwards (body not centre pin hot). This doesn't affect the lighter but would affect most accessories; check it with a test light.

I (and many others) use the cigarette lighter plug in the batwing for my GPS with no problems.

Dave
I got to ask.....are you affiliated with the Pelletier TV show? You show as being in BC, but want to ask anyways.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 PM
GySgtGomez(USMC)
Intermediate

If you read the manual, it actually tells you NOT to plug anything into it except the lighter or you will blow fuses. I just paid the 30 and got the saddlebag aux port. It runs straight to the battery and has an inline fuse. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by GySgtGomez(USMC)
If you read the manual, it actually tells you NOT to plug anything into it except the lighter or you will blow fuses.
I don't think it says anything about blowing fuses.
It does say not to use the cigarette lighter socket for anything but the lighter, but does not say anything about fuses.

The reason why, is because of tank interferences with the bars turned full lock left.
And if that happens, it is possible to damage the socket thereby causing the lighter to not function.

I use one of those USB adapters inserted into the lighter socket, and power my GPS.
Can also charge my iPod and/or iPhone.

No problems in over 2 years.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,921 Likes on 3,021 Posts

What are you trying to plug in? Is the amp draw to high? Maybe the lighter socket is just screwed up.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

My GPS blows the fuse to the cigarette lighter as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:55 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It is wired backwards. Harley doesn't care which wires go where on it. Ya got a 50/50 chance it's right from the factory. Easy to switch them around.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
It is wired backwards. Harley doesn't care which wires go where on it. Ya got a 50/50 chance it's right from the factory. Easy to switch them around.
Use a test light and check to see if the center of the cigarette lighter adapter is hot. IF the side is HOT and the center is ground, then it is wired backward. You can test it without removing the fairing. If you have to swap them, you have to take off the outer fairing and swap the wires, and is a few minutes effort.

For a cigarette lighter to work, it doesn't matter whether the center position is hot or sides are hot, but it does matter when using as an aux port. If you are just charging cell phone, GPS, MP3 etc..., there is nowhere near enough amps being drawn to blow the fuses.

Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter