Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help! No running lights....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Long124
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help! No running lights....

I've got a 12 CVO Roadglide and the running lights front and rear don't work. I put in some different front LED turn signals, just bulbs, turned on the key no problem they worked fine (run and flash). I then added a rear brake light flashing unit tested it to the setting of flashes I wanted and it worked fine. I went back and checked that everything worked fine. Front turn signals worked fine, white running light and amber flash all good...rear running lights worked fine brake lights flashed as I wanted them to. I then decided to put on the Iron Aces GPS mount. Took apart the spedo/tach assembly unhooked the 3 connections(spedo/tach/info lights) mounted the bracket put it back together and I now have no running lights (tail or front). The turn signals work fine front and rear. The bracket was just mounted the power wire has not been installed yet. Checked the "lights" fuse and it's blown and continues to blow each time it's replaced and the ignition is turned on. It's a visible spark when the fuse blows. I took the new bulbs out and unhooked the flasher unit, still blows the fuse. I even left the turn signal bulbs out completly and left the harness disconnected to the rear fender, still blows the fuse. The bike wasn't ridden between adding these items but it was started at the completion of everything. I'm stomped!!!!!!! Any input would be appreciated.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 PM
streetglide44
Road Captain

You have a grounded hot wire. Do you know how to ohm wires out? Using your volt meter put it in ohm setting. Put the positive and negative lead together. The meter should zero out and may make an audible sound. Now ohm your wires out between the different points of problem areas. One lead on one wire, one on the other. Continue this until a connection reads zero, that run of wires is where your problem is.
I can usually smell a short, trust your nose and see if you can smell the area of fault. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Wiring in the suspect area should be measured to chassis ground as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're still under warranty I'd take it in. Even if it's not, if you bought it last year and it's a CVO, they may good will it. Then again, maybe not. I say this only because it's an electrical issue....

Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated above with you meter check continuity on the suspect harness end to end,hopefully you have a manual for direction.What ever is blowing your fuse is a short to ground.
So check continuity and then chassis ground for the short.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Long124
Tourer

Thanks for the direction guys, I appreciate it. I was trying to get a look to see if it was something simple before going to the dealer. If I can't chase it down tonight I'll make the trip to the dealer. Thanks again.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Take streetglide44's advice - ohm-check the wires & I'd start at the point of failure = speedo/tach assy.

Also, because you're adding after-market & messing w/wiring, warranty repair's not going to be covered so be ready for labor + parts for everything...if you end up taking the bike to dealer.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 PM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess is that you swapped the hot wire on the speedo/tach light with the ground..
the Orange/black is hot..

Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Long124
Tourer

All I did was unplug the connection to the speedo and the tach, then after finishing with the bracket I plugged them back up....after looking at the plugs they are marked as to what goes where so that you put them back where they came from....I'm baffled because it worked fine then nothing.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 AM
instag8tr
Cruiser

Mine is at the dealer now for the same thing

Quick Reply: Need some help! No running lights....