Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default finding neutral

Sounds like a silly topic but seriously. I have owned multiple non Harley motorcycles, never had such a hard time finding neutral. Its not a huge issue but sometimes I tap and up click 6 plus times to get my 2012 street glide to find neutral. What is the deal? I feel like I need the finesse of a ballet dancer to get it to go in. I was told this is normal for a new Harley but I'm now going on 3200 miles and it still takes a magic trick to find neutral. Any comments are welcome. Even you smart asses lol.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gize View Post
Sounds like a silly topic but seriously. I have owned multiple non Harley motorcycles, never had such a hard time finding neutral. Its not a huge issue but sometimes I tap and up click 6 plus times to get my 2012 street glide to find neutral. What is the deal? I feel like I need the finesse of a ballet dancer to get it to go in. I was told this is normal for a new Harley but I'm now going on 3200 miles and it still takes a magic trick to find neutral. Any comments are welcome. Even you smart asses lol.
It takes some practice, but it's really not that hard. When you have down shifted down to First and it seems you can't find neutral, what I do is let the bike go forward some while releasing the clutch. I can feel it in my words, (set in).. Then I can up shift to neutral. Hopefully this makes sense.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 PM

Very common until 1st service at 5k. I switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 Synthetic at 5k (everyone uses what pleases them) and problem went away. Hope the same for you.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny4456 View Post
It takes some practice, but it's really not that hard. When you have down shifted down to First and it seems you can't find neutral, what I do is let the bike go forward some while releasing the clutch. I can feel it in my words, (set in).. Then I can up shift to neutral. Hopefully this makes sense.
Hmmm...I will have to try that. I have over 40K and I recently changed the primary chain tensioner to the Hayden M6. Before, I had no trouble finding neutral, now it is almost impossible. I have adjusted the clutch several times, to no avail. Most times I get frustrated and just shut it down and deal with it then. I can find it fairly easily once the engine is shut down.

2010 Limited scarlet red/black, Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage 1 A/C, V & H EPA compliant big ovals, V & H Dresser Duals, SEPT, 9" Freedom Shields AirCurve, Boom! Audio Performance speakers, HD Road Zeppelin seat, SE Compensator, Hayden M6 BT07, SE Performance Clutch, Road Tech Zumo 660 GPS, Wardspartswerks FCS fans
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
One Of The Regulars

Neutral is easier to find on any Harley, if some sort of movement or vibration is occurring. I once joked with the service manager at the Harley dealership we worked at because a customer made issue out of this. His reply was, "rev it a little, kick it or try farting"..lol..

Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Road Captain
Send a message via AIM to 05 Ultra

What works for me (sometimes) is rev the motor while in 1st and as the Rs comedown try for nutral.
HID aftermarket kit in HDs dual bulb head light-Stebel air horn
All LEDs bulbs including gauges,signals and passing lights
HogTunes front-n-back The Better Lever-it is!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Its easier when you are rolling. If I need to be in neutral, I try to do it before I stop.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhu View Post
Its easier when you are rolling. If I need to be in neutral, I try to do it before I stop.
Good point, why do u need to be in neutral anyway? I'll bet the OP needs brakes too.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Club Member
sanman
Send a message via Yahoo to sanman4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard42 View Post
Very common until 1st service at 5k.
09 Street Glide Pewter Pearl, V&H Dresser Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, Power Commander V, K&N Aircharger, JRI B 13", Progressive mono tubes, Mustang Super Wide Touring w/ riders backrest, Fastaire 8" Recurve, PYO 12" Monkey Bars, Sony MEX-M70BT, Biketronics 7.1", HT lids w/ Pionneer TSD6902R 6x9's, BT4180, XM Radio, Painted inner with Dakota Digital gauges, chrome front end w/ street stalker fender, Custom Dynamics LEDs front and rear, '14 SE Compensator w/ Baker Attitude adjuster, TW222 Cams, Zippers tensioners w/ Axtell Bypass Valve, FM lifters & Pushrods....
Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, it takes some practice. Mine can still be a bit tricky but I can eventually find it.

For LeFat1 - I need to find neutral when I get to my work. I have to swipe my ID card across a card reader, which is on my left, to get the gate to open. Kinda hard to do (impossible) holding the clutch in. So the OP may have a very valid reason for needing to go to neutral. Just sayin.......
LED turn signals, brake light, and lighted lower saddlebag accents; Phase 6 headlight/passing lamps; Ride Time Technology run/brake/turn tour pack LED lightbar; Zumo RoadTech 660 GPS; Mini-Beast air horn; WindVest 12" shield; SE Street Performance exhaust and Ventilator AC w/K&N filter, decat pipe, chrome forks.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 PM

P