Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Tappets

Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 AM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Funny but you can use these lifters GM 17122490 if you change the pushrod cup from your harley lifters, the lifters are the same in bore size .842, the same internal valveing, the only difference is the oil feed hole in the pushrod cup HD=.100" and GM=.070".....The GM lifters are for the GenIII LS engines. I have the GM lifters in my Stage IV 103ci, 15000 miles with no problems, all I did was change the pushrod cups out.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:08 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,730 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
Something else to consider. When I had my indy put cams in my 2013, he told me he's finding the push rods too long. It takes all the adjustment out of the lifters. I'm remembering off the top of my head so the numbers may be wrong but I think he said my push rods were 20 thou too long and that the lifters only have 30 thou of adjustment. That reduced mine to only 10. Instead of adjustables, he takes the time to open the rocker box and use the stock rods and he modified them to the correct length. This guy is extremely meticulous and would have recommended changing the lifters while he was in there if he thouhgt they wouldn't last.

Hopefully someone here is more knowledgable on that then me and can confirm or deny what I just said.
Well I think your Indy is either feeding you a line or you didn't understand what he was telling you. Like the post after yours said, there is .200" travel in a hydraulic lifter. Most specs have them at the middle of the travel or .100" compression. The SE tapers I use call for 2 1/2 turns or .096" compression. I usually take them down 3 turns which would be .108", but if I went 3 1/2 turns to .120 I would be comfortable with it. So your pushrods being .020" too long isn't going to make your valve train noisy, but it could make it quieter. What I want to know is how is your Indy taking .020" off your stock pushrods? That was the part of your post I found to be concerning, since the pushrod ends are hardened and messing with them would not be advised.
As far as lifters failing, I don't know about "A", "B", or "C" lifters, but I did have a lifter fail (collapse) at around 10k on my '09. I have a set of V-Thunder lifters in it now which are good lifters and very reasonably priced, but I also have a set of Gatermans that I will install in the future. The Gatermans have a unique design which hopefully will make them superior.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

[QUOTE=$tonecold;11311374] What I want to know is how is your Indy taking .020" off your stock pushrods? That was the part of your post I found to be concerning, since the pushrod ends are hardened and messing with them would not be advised.
QUOTE]

I asked him how he did it and he just smiled at me and told me he had a way. It all may have been a line of BS but I trust him and I'm happy to have solid pushrods. I'm sure adjustables are fine but I never have to worry about these coming loose. I didn't notice the valve train being noisy when I gave him the bike stock wiht a 1,000 miles on it, but either way, whatever he did, the bike runs smoother and quiter than any of the previous bikes I've had. He did a bunch of other little mods to it and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I just wanted to pass along what he told me. From the numbers you gave me, if the stock push rods were too long, or someone used adjustables and didn't get them just right, I could see why lifters would have issues.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

It's not the lifters you are hearing. New Harleys are so quite now, you are hearing the fuel injectors.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:35 AM
BM05FLHT
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Signing on here too........... not sure what it is but it is annoying.......

Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 AM
ronherman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 SG and i replaced the stock pushrods with S&S adjustabled when i put my 57H cams in. funny thing is they quieted down a lot when i did this. now they do get a little noisy at about 6000 rpms.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's not a mechanical issue try different oil weights or even putting in an additive can help.

Keep in mind the owner's manual has specific ranges of use and types of oil suggested based on riding conditions. Hot summer use is straight weight 50 on many rides.

I found adding Lucas Heavy Duty additive to the oil stopped the high frequency tapping and the motor sounds like it should.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

The easiest and cheapest thing to try is changing your oil. Try a different brand. If your using synthetic, try regular oil. And a different filter. It's alot cheaper then experimenting with lifters and the costs involved.,,

Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,730 Likes on 927 Posts

[quote=EdwardK;11313748]
Originally Posted by $tonecold
What I want to know is how is your Indy taking .020" off your stock pushrods? That was the part of your post I found to be concerning, since the pushrod ends are hardened and messing with them would not be advised.
QUOTE]

I asked him how he did it and he just smiled at me and told me he had a way. It all may have been a line of BS but I trust him and I'm happy to have solid pushrods. I'm sure adjustables are fine but I never have to worry about these coming loose. I didn't notice the valve train being noisy when I gave him the bike stock wiht a 1,000 miles on it, but either way, whatever he did, the bike runs smoother and quiter than any of the previous bikes I've had. He did a bunch of other little mods to it and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I just wanted to pass along what he told me. From the numbers you gave me, if the stock push rods were too long, or someone used adjustables and didn't get them just right, I could see why lifters would have issues.
Well if I was looking at him face to face and he gave me that answer, I would call HS. .020" too long wouldn't make a difference, IMHO. If you are happy with the outcome though, that is what counts. Happy riding!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Phill.t14
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your replies, I have a 2 year warranty on it (expires 2015) so hopefully they will end up getting replaced before then by the dealer .?? Fingers crossed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noisy Tappets