Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 PM
One Of The Regulars

subscribed, been there and feel your pain.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Road Warrior

Dayum, Ive got 58k on my 09 and feel like its just starting to get broken in. No issues and do all my own maintenance. Sorry to hear. Give us updates.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

I just put a Hayden primary tensioner in my 12 RGU. What a difference. My ipb was shot at 5000 mi. It's an easy ad on and well worth the price and time to complete the upgrade.

Ward, weren't you a little rough on the Beaver last night?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:53 AM
Road Warrior
Default Mine was at 40000miles

Although I wouldn't say it's 'an easy add-on' Good likelihood that the clutch hub inner spline will be shot in yours as well(make sure they check that). My compensator hasn't shown any problems.........yet but if it does, I'll upgrade that to the SE.
I changed the tranny oil to the Formula+ since I was not comfortable having such a thin oil in there (SE Synthetic motor oil) Keep us posted on your repairs as it seems there are many of us in that mileage area that are experiencing the same problems.
I'm surprised the IPB hasn't been a recall.

09 FLHRC
Stage 1/PCV/AT
Bub7 Stealth's
V&H Power Dual's
Old 05-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

Ever notice that you never hear about these problems on '06 and earlier 5 speeds?

It started with the '06 Dyna ( IPB failures,) and continued into all Big Twins when they went 6 speed on all models in 07. Now you've got newer IPB's, stronger compensators and on the new models you'll find compression releases to soften the clink, clank grind on hot restarts.

They fix symptoms, not causes, at Harley Davidson. That's why so many of us are keeping our older bikes and simply refreshing them as necessary.

Just passed 128,000 miles on my '00 S/E RG and still running the original IPB and early style compensator. And that's why I'll never buy an '07 and later Big Twin.

2000 FLTRSEI Stage II 95" Big Bore with Andrews 26 Gear Drives,and a Patriot Defender 2 into 1 Exhaust.
Got 'totaled' 2/26/14. Built a Screamin' Eagle "Road King" out of the salvage.

Last edited by Stiggy; 05-31-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

For $1600 I could rebuild my entire motor and know it was done well because I would do it myself.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Road Warrior
Default Final diag and price

Well - here is the word:

Main shaft damage - They need to replace it along with the bearings (IPB, main, side door...) replace the compensator with the SE version, gaskets, seals.... 6 freaking hours of labor... $1,721.34!!

I'm irritated beyond belief. I take care of that bike, I don't trailer or overload it, no motor work other than the Harley Stage One DL and Screaming Eagle pipes.

I called Harley customer service and asked for assistance - who knows - maybe they'll come through with something. I'm of course not holding my breath.

With Polaris starting Indian and releasing bikes I'm going to interested to see what they're like. With these types of issues I'm not sure how loyal I'll continue to be. 4 year old bikes with 45k shouldn't have this type of issue.

2009 Ultra Classic
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
Old 05-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
Ever notice that you never hear about these problems on '06 and earlier 5 speeds?

It started with the '06 Dyna ( IPB failures,) and continued into all Big Twins when they went 6 speed on all models in 07. Now you've got newer IPB's, stronger compensators and on the new models you'll find compression releases to soften the clink, clank grind on hot restarts.

They fix symptoms, not causes, at Harley Davidson. That's why so many of us are keeping our older bikes and simply refreshing them as necessary.

Just passed 128,000 miles on my '00 S/E RG and still running the original IPB and early style compensator. That's why I'll never buy an '07 and later Big Twin.
I agree. 07+ bikes are doomed to fail. 02 and under is as new as I would recomend buying!

07 FXST Bored n stroked.
66 triumph tiger DOA
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistavette View Post
Well - here is the word:

Main shaft damage - They need to replace it along with the bearings (IPB, main, side door...) replace the compensator with the SE version, gaskets, seals.... 6 freaking hours of labor... $1,721.34!!

I'm irritated beyond belief. I take care of that bike, I don't trailer or overload it, no motor work other than the Harley Stage One DL and Screaming Eagle pipes.

I called Harley customer service and asked for assistance - who knows - maybe they'll come through with something. I'm of course not holding my breath.

With Polaris starting Indian and releasing bikes I'm going to interested to see what they're like. With these types of issues I'm not sure how loyal I'll continue to be. 4 year old bikes with 45k shouldn't have this type of issue.
Good luck going much over 100k without bottom end issues!

07 FXST Bored n stroked.
66 triumph tiger DOA
Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistavette View Post
Well - here is the word:

Well you should talk to some of the former Victory dealers and ask why they dropped them before you jump to that ship. I know the answer you will get, and it's Polaris not honoring warranty repairs. Dealer or customer ends up sucking it up.
SE 103 kit, SE255 cams, Heads ported and polished
SE compensator, Dynojet Power Vision, FM Jackpot mufflers
Ohlins shocks, Bagger Brace
Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 PM

P