Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So far its my IPB, main shaft bearing, and Compensator...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
Oh and on relatively stock motors the lower end on these bikes are well known to go through several top end rebuilds before needing lower end work.
That's simply not true. In fact the first '07 crank assemblies were so bad that Harley changed suppliers for the '08 introduction.

At our Dealership we replaced a half a dozen motors under warranty before Moco would even tell us what was wrong and why. ( Huge runout from slipped / scissored flywheels.)

They are as cheaply manufactured as possible because Harley knows that few will achieve the comparable mileage of the car sitting next to it in the garage.

Softy simply wore his out. Check his thread on the rebuild and learn.

Google Timken Lefty bearing and see what a strong crank looks like, It's still available in the Screamin' Eagle Parts Book in the high performance section. ( And standard on Twin Cams 99 -02.)

Last edited by Stiggy; 05-31-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:04 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
That's simply not true. In fact the first '07 crank assemblies were so bad that Harley changed suppliers for the '08 introduction.

At our Dealership we replaced a half a dozen motors under warranty before Moco would even tell us what was wrong and why. ( Huge runout from slipped / scissored flywheels.)

They are as cheaply manufactured as possible because Harley knows that few will achieve the comparable mileage of the car sitting next to it in the garage.

Google Timken Lefty bearing and see what a strong crank looks like, It's still available in the Screamin' Eagle Parts Book under high performance section. And standard on Twin Cams 99 -02.
Yep. Worst crank in 30 years is the 07!

Old 05-31-2013, 04:05 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Google Timken Lefty bearing and see what a strong crank looks like, It's still available in the Screamin' Eagle Parts Book in the high performance section. ( And standard on Twin Cams 99 -02.)
Umm I think I said if you look there were problems in 07. Other than that I stand by my statement.

Last edited by FX4; 05-31-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I BOUGHT a two year ESP when I bought my used 2008 FLHRC I used it twice once for a failed front wheel bearing and once for a failed IPB that caused damage to the clutch spline.

I came out about $400 ahead of what the ESP was so I signed up for 3 more years .

Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
Umm I think I said if you look there were problems in 07. Other than that I stand by my statement.
I did catch that FX, but the same design still stands today. A simple roller bearing ( instead of the double tapered Timken,) literally dropped onto a crankshaft and installed in the motor. No measurement, no set up, just quick assembly line efficiency.

Yeah, 07's were the worst, but search Harley crankshaft runout on Google and stand back and prepare to be amazed ( or depressed.) You can stand by your statement, but the facts ( and a couple dozen posts) say otherwise.

No Kool Aid consumed here.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
No, one bike I was watching made a 165k and he tore it down for grins because he felt it should be tired but it really wasn't showing much wear. Out of the group I ride with, I am the only one that has had an IPB and compensator fail.
There is times a bad year needs to be called out. I have heard the 2007 have crank issues but then again I have heard issues on all year bikes.

For example I have a 1999 FLHTCUI and a friend with the same bike since new. I was talking about the issues with the cam chest ( I lost mine at 50K) and she explained her engine was torn apart at 100k just for kicks. She was doing the big bore and cams at that point and the shop was shocked that it was that good on the inside.

Some of the bikes don't get the right oil, sit to long and who knows what.

Sorry OP that your bike has problems. Get her fixed and keep going.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Frogprince
There is times a bad year needs to be called out. I have heard the 2007 have crank issues but then again I have heard issues on all year bikes.

For example I have a 1999 FLHTCUI and a friend with the same bike since new. I was talking about the issues with the cam chest ( I lost mine at 50K) and she explained her engine was torn apart at 100k just for kicks. She was doing the big bore and cams at that point and the shop was shocked that it was that good on the inside.

Some of the bikes don't get the right oil, sit to long and who knows what.

Sorry OP that your bike has problems. Get her fixed and keep going.
No one wants to hear they have a bum year bike but they always say "dont buy the first run of a new design".

Old 05-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
So after reading/participating in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...our-ipb-7.html

I became very worried about my bike ('09 Ultra with 45,500 miles) since it had the same symptoms as the OP from the thread link above. I dropped off my bike to the dealer who said so far my IPB is shot, the "compensator is showing wear", and "the tech said he can hear grinding just by turning my rear wheel by hand". They're tearing into the transmission to diagnose for sure what needs to be done. So far I've authorized three hours of labor to diagnose the issues (the labor will be part of the repairs, not in addition to the repair)

I'm really upset about this repair - my local dealers are all owned by the same people and while I trust their work the pricing is often high. Labor in Vegas is high in general at about $100/hr. I don't have an indy that I trust. I know there are a few around but I don't get a good vibe from the couple I've spoken to in the past so I'm kinda stuck with the dealer since this isn't a repair I want to or have time to do on my own.

A well maintained 45,000 mile bike shouldn't need this much work.

I'll post an update when I have one
I hope you have ESP seems like you ride it a lot not sure about if you ride it hard and if you do both, its fairly common for these two areas will fell apart often speaking from my own experience.Have both of these problem twice so far in last 80K miles on my 07 UC but I do ride the crap out of it and pay $ 50 for most of the repairs.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I did catch that FX, but the same design still stands today. A simple roller bearing ( instead of the double tapered Timken,) literally dropped onto a crankshaft and installed in the motor. No measurement, no set up, just quick assembly line efficiency.

Yeah, 07's were the worst, but search Harley crankshaft runout on Google and stand back and prepare to be amazed ( or depressed.) You can stand by your statement, but the facts ( and a couple dozen posts) say otherwise.

No Kool Aid consumed here.
It's the same design as the TC88. You can throw top ends in those forever as long as you don't scissor the crank. Generally if you don't push the torque and horsepower too far its not going to happen.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FX4
It's the same design as the TC88. You can throw top ends in those forever as long as you don't scissor the crank. Generally if you don't push the torque and horsepower too far its not going to happen.
Not the same as the 88" Different flywheels and different rods and different tolerances. Over 300 part changes in the drive train from 06 to 07.

Last edited by soft 02; 05-31-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: So far its my IPB, main shaft bearing, and Compensator...