Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan or cooler or both?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fan or cooler or both?

Got my (new to me) '06 RK in early March.Weather's been kind of on the cool side until last couple of days.Got caught up in some traffic yesterday at 92deg's...Would love to hear some input,as in a good "parade fan",and/or oil cooler.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

well, parade fan is meant for use while at low speed or idle- costly, and now you gotta figure out the horn.

and oil cooler works best when the bike is moving ( there are coolers with fans)

oil coolers also increase the total oil capacity of the system...which is good.

they really do need a thermostat, manual valve or cover for use in cool weather though.

forum member fabrik8r has done alot of work on this- search for his thread "built the best cooling"

mike

Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I use a Wards FCS fan on my Road King. I've had oil coolers on this bike and a previous Harley. The oil coolers always seemed to weep or leak at some point. Not the cooler itself, but from hoses or fixtures. I'm sure you're gonna get a 100 responses after this saying mine doesn't leak, never has etc. My experience is that putting something in the pressurized oil flow with a bunch of joints, eventually something is gonna give. I chose Wards fan because it cools the heads directly and am very happy with it. Not mention its very unobtrusive.

I have a 96ci with sepst, intake and Fat Cat.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM
CVN-65
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend you go to wardspartswerks and look at the FCS that Jason Ward designed and builds. It is a great system and really cools the heads. There is a thread in the touring section that details the designing and testing of the system. The FCS is affordable, looks good and really works to remove heat from the heads.

Here is a link to the thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...tem-again.html

Enter "FCS" as the search word and there are 78 results. Lots of good info on oil temps before and after FCS install.

I will also add that I have an '06 FLHTCUI and the fans work great.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

1. Oil cooler
2. Jason's cooling fans "the FCS"
3. Improved thermostat to initiate oil flow to the cooler sooner than the stock thermostat (also available from Jason for $25 shipped)
4. A good tune

Then you should be good to go for just about any situation.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have both a cooler and the FCS, and heat is no longer and issue even in summer traffic. I've used a cooler alone and the two together, but not the FCS alone. I would recommend both, but my guess based on my experience is that if you must pick one of the two it would be the FCS.

Last edited by iclick; 05-30-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:50 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Fans that cool the heads ala Jason Wards setup and an oil cooler; very effective. When in parade type traffic the fans are cooling the heads where most of the oil heat comes from and once rolling again, the oil cooler takes over. No Tstat required if you ride in the southwest but would be a good idea in cooler climates.

Jason's fans are about the simplest and cleanest setup I have seen; give him a call. You will get some of the hot air passing over your right leg from the fans but not something that would cause me to forego using them.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

When I bought this new in '03 I planned to live in Las cruces awhile so I purchased both the thermostat controlled oil cooler and the parade fan. Now 10 years later and never moving from Indiana, the fan may have come on a dozen times. Usually when at a rally and duckwalkling through the hot and sweaty heathans. Anyway I never regretted purchasing both.

Attached Thumbnails Fan or cooler or both?-flhtci3.jpg   Fan or cooler or both?-flhtci-5.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 03:09 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm glad this thread popped up. I ordered the Wards fan last year and I thought he never contacted me. Turns out it was a burp on this forum. I didn't get his messages for a long while then they just showed up. Strange. At any rate this thread reminded me to contact him and get back in line.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
I'm glad this thread popped up. I ordered the Wards fan last year and I thought he never contacted me. Turns out it was a burp on this forum. I didn't get his messages for a long while then they just showed up. Strange. At any rate this thread reminded me to contact him and get back in line.
Just curious, what's the "wait time" for this set-up?

I've been looking at it for a while and it seems to make sense.

Quick Reply: Fan or cooler or both?