Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM
SteveMKentucky's Avatar
SteveMKentucky SteveMKentucky is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central KY
Posts: 263
Default

So what's wrong with the stock filter? I know K&N breathes easier but filters less contaminants. Seems like a bad choice to me for longevity of the engine. Am I willing to give up a horse or two at top RPM for engine durability... YES! Did the engineers at Harley just design a crappy intake system? On purpose? Or are they just incompetent?

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
__________________
<-- Ruby

"A motorcycle's natural state of rest is on its side. Almost everything we do in riding a motorcycle is done to prevent it from achieving its natural state of rest."

"Never trade low end torque for top end horsepower on a street bike. You'll only end up with a temperamental bike and an empty wallet"

Last edited by SteveMKentucky; 06-06-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Zmann Zmann is offline
New Guy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Garland
Posts: 93
Paul Alan
Thumbs up

I have a Screaming Eagle air intake, too flashy for my liking. In fact I was contemplating removing it when I bought the bike. After riding the Street Glide, I have decided that although it is Butt Ugly, it is staying. I really like the fact that it is out of the way for my right leg, I can hug the tank with both legs without fighting the stock air cleaner. My impression is two thumbs up to this Butt Ugly air cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
Best and Worst Air Intakes-image.jpg  
__________________
Paul Z-mann
2013 Street Glide - Dark Purple with Flames
2008 Ultra Classic - Crimson & Cherry Red (sold, too big, and too way
too heavy for a short old guy with back problems.)
2006 Road King - Dark Cherry (Damned I wish I would have never sold it to
buy the Ultra Classic!)
Garland, Texas

Last edited by Zmann; 06-06-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Uncle Chester's Avatar
Uncle Chester Uncle Chester is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 1,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMKentucky View Post
So what's wrong with the stock filter? I know K&N breathes easier but filters less contaminants. Seems like a bad choice to me for longevity of the engine. Am I willing to give up a horse or two at top RPM for engine durability... YES! Did the engineers at Harley just design a crappy intake system? On purpose? Or are they just incompetent?

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
It's not the filter as much as the stock air box being to restrictive. Any open element AC will be an improvement over stock. The reason for the Stock design is the epa not harley engineers being incompetent or designing a crappy system on purpose.
__________________

107, 555's, 10.5-1, lil head work, D&D, PV w/AT pro, FCS, Shotgun, Monotubes

It might be short but at least it's skinny
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 PM
whodis? whodis? is offline
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: whosville
Posts: 15
Default

I like the stock box with the K&N
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 PM
CSMHOG's Avatar
CSMHOG CSMHOG is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 941
Default

Sometimes its worth a little extra cash.
Attached Thumbnails
Best and Worst Air Intakes-capture.jpg  
__________________
~ Boots
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 PM
bklynbob's Avatar
bklynbob bklynbob is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bklyn,ny
Posts: 1,748
Default

The S&S single bore tuned induction system is probably one of the best(and expensive)systems . It Makes power top to bottom.
__________________
new bikes are geared too high
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Android's Avatar
Android Android is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Chester View Post
It's not the filter as much as the stock air box being to restrictive. Any open element AC will be an improvement over stock. The reason for the Stock design is the epa not harley engineers being incompetent or designing a crappy system on purpose.
Check your "facts" the reason has nothing to do with EPA. If so then why would the CVO bikes have opened up air intakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodis? View Post
I like the stock box with the K&N
Stock box and K&N filter is the best bang for the buck hands down.
__________________
2012 Street Glide Ember Red Sunglo
Bassani Megaphone Slip-on stripped stock headers

US Army Biker forums

<a href=http://armybiker.com/ target=_blank>http://armybiker.com/</a>
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-07-2013, 02:50 AM
Dr. Tiki's Avatar
Dr. Tiki Dr. Tiki is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The 9th Island
Posts: 1,349
pages/LeatherTethercom/397059356978327
Default

I had the Big Sucker and liked it a lot but even with the short element I had to sell it to put speakers in my lower fairings.

I went to the SE Ventilator but felt that it was giving off more heat. Maybe it was the way it directed air around the engine or maybe it was acting as a heat sink to the engine... in either case, I didn't like it and sold that.

I now have FuelMoto's setup and like it as much as my old Big Sucker.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________

2010 FLHX w/ABS & Cruise : 89K Miles and counting
Bike details can be seen at DrTiki.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Guntoter's Avatar
Guntoter Guntoter is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android View Post
Check your "facts" the reason has nothing to do with EPA. If so then why would the CVO bikes have opened up air intakes?


Stock box and K&N filter is the best bang for the buck hands down.
I believe the reason for the stock air cleaner housing is to quiet down the intake noise, probably for the EPA mandated noise standards on vehicles. When the twin cam originally was designed, it was made so most of the covers did not support moving parts (unlike previous H-D engines) to quiet the engine down, to meet EPA mandated requirements. Many years ago on here this was all discussed.

As to why the CVO's have open air filters, I can't answer that. Maybe because they are limited production?
__________________
2007 Electra Glide Standard
Screamin Eagle A/C, V&H FuelPak, V&H Pro Pipe and Andrews 48H cams
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
lionsm13's Avatar
lionsm13 lionsm13 is online now
Club Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Western South Dakota
Posts: 11,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGonza View Post
I'd like some opinions on Air Intakes for the Street Glide. I'm not much for flashy style, just something simple and effective. Pic of what you have on yours would also be welcomed. Thanks
Didn't you see the latest edition of Consumer Reports?
__________________
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44694&dateline=132069  3963
Say What You Mean Mean What You Say
09-96 SG

Feuling Reaper 525 Cams PC-V-3.5 Rinehart Slip-ons.
84 HP-94 TQ
Stage 2.
Lots of other custom stuff
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
 
 
 
P
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2

Admin, Emails & Contact Details