Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best and Worst Air Intakes

Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by beau1981
Anyone running the roland sands clarity and could comment on any opinions on quality performance or installation?
Roland Sands = overpriced doo-dads

Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 PM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought the DK Customs kit with brass breather bolts and it blows oil all over my bike. Then bought their external breather element with the 2 houses that hang down into a separate breather and same problem oil all over the bike. Now i'm out almost 200 dollars combined for an air filter element I used less than a week. Unhappy to say the least. And NO it's not overfull only 3and 1/2 qts. of oil in motor 2009 street glide, it's not over filled at all.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

People's tatse are different as far as looks go...The SE Heavy Breather provides good hp increase relative to the competition and looks good to me.

I am about to trade it out for a far more "flashy" air cleaner in the near future.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
diggerv
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Vance and Hines VO2 is good quality.

Attached Thumbnails Best and Worst Air Intakes-airfilter.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the s&s single bore tuned induction air cleaner.

has 20% more surface area than the teardrop and provides tons of dynos showing comparisons from stock.
I just installed one' I love it!!

lump

it looks great, like 2 se heavy breathers but I think slightly smaller.
anyway' just my opinion, I looked high and low and decided that was what I wanted on my bike.
good luck
lump

Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Is there anything wrong with the standard stage 1 air cleaner? I like it because it's easy to maintain, just wash in hot soapy water, dry and way you go. No messing around with spray like the k&n.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMKentucky
So what's wrong with the stock filter? I know K&N breathes easier but filters less contaminants. Seems like a bad choice to me for longevity of the engine. Am I willing to give up a horse or two at top RPM for engine durability... YES! Did the engineers at Harley just design a crappy intake system? On purpose? Or are they just incompetent?

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Good link!
Yep, I have a K&N style filter and can't say I've ever looked for 3rd party test data, so that report was a bit surprising. That said, now I'm curious how well the common brand paper filters for our touring bikes would fair. They may well follow the same trends as the filters tested in the report... then again they may not. With so much out-sourcing and multi-sourcing going on these days, the filter materials for one product line from a given brand may not be the same as that used in another line.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieRay59
I bought the DK Customs kit with brass breather bolts and it blows oil all over my bike. Then bought their external breather element with the 2 houses that hang down into a separate breather and same problem oil all over the bike. Now i'm out almost 200 dollars combined for an air filter element I used less than a week. Unhappy to say the least. And NO it's not overfull only 3and 1/2 qts. of oil in motor 2009 street glide, it's not over filled at all.
Contact them, I had the same issues with their breather bolts and they refunded my money including the shipping.....

Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by basselope
Good link!
Yep, I have a K&N style filter and can't say I've ever looked for 3rd party test data, so that report was a bit surprising. That said, now I'm curious how well the common brand paper filters for our touring bikes would fair. They may well follow the same trends as the filters tested in the report... then again they may not. With so much out-sourcing and multi-sourcing going on these days, the filter materials for one product line from a given brand may not be the same as that used in another line.
Harley offers a little known SE synthetic media washable oil less filter. IMO its the best thing you can use to replace the oil n gauze type filter.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 PM
hoops928
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel Moto with stock football cover..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best and Worst Air Intakes