Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about going Touring

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM
bg1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going Touring

Have been riding a Dyna FatBob and went out and took a Road Glide Custom for a ride today.
Are the any tips or negatives you can give me about this model that would help me in my decision?
I was surprised how smooth and low to the ground it was! It seems like a great choice for the combo of short and longer two up rides the wife and I take without getting too huge!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:27 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

...... there's one sorta downside to the Road Glide ...... whilst riding, you can't stop grinning.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:27 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

If you want to tour that will be the way to go! I would get the Road Glide Ultra and quick detach the tourpack that way you will have it for trips. I have ridden a new RGU but don't own one. Many fairly recent threads on this topic. I suggest renting one for a weekend.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with the road glide...however if you are serious about making the switch I wouldn't wait to long. HD is not going to be making them next year as they apparently have to replace tooling in the molding plant and are using the opportunity for some redesign work. Probably won't see them again until 2015 and I know the dealer I do business with has three of the RG Ultras and they are trying to scoop up any RG's and RG Ultra's they can from other dealers because they are selling quickly with the impending hiatus of the model for a year.

I am not a fan of the fixed fairing...however those who love them seem to love them to death and I confess I like the way they look...and they ride nice. Guess it is just personal preference on my part.

Last edited by SlowRain; 06-19-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM
HDJaco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched from a Dyna Street Bob to the Road Glide about eight months ago and love the Road Glide. One of the main things I like about it is the flexibility to whatever you want with the bike. For instance, the Dyna had some limitations when it came to storage for long hauls. Even though I made many long trips with the Dyna, which included camping, with all of the gear, I have done the same with the RG and it was just plain better. The bags were larger, suspension smoother, even the accessories, like the luggage rack could accommodate more items because of the size. The RG also is a dream to ride on highways. The Dyna was a flat out crazy ride at 80 MPH, especially passing trucks, where the RG is smooth as glass. I often have found myself going 80-90 MPH without even realizing my speed! The RG is equally great around town doing some bar hoping. I am a fan.... GO FOR IT!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Dont think, just do.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
bg1
Cruiser

Thanks for the input! The RG Custom is my choice in Candy Orange. Security package, wheel option, and cruise control. $1K off list and $14K for the FatBob (it's great dealing with people you've worked with your whole life). Threw in the luggage rack, sissy & pad.
The tour pak is just too much stuff for me although someday I'm sure i'll want it. Great rate at the local credit union too.
I'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:34 PM
bebowebb
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Dont think, just do.
Couldn't agree more. Go for it!

(Still can't figure out why some consider me an 'enabler'.)

Old 06-19-2013, 05:39 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

There's room in the Tank.

Go for it, you will be Stoked!

Good luck,

YB

Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,145 Likes on 21,332 Posts