Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation on speedometer

Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 PM
hdtruck
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation on speedometer

I've got an '07 Road King with the stock console. Every time I get caught in the rain the glass on the speedometer will fog up for a few days. It's still readable so it's not a huge deal just one of those things little things I'd like to fix. Local HD dealer said it happens to all of them and the only fix would be to replace the whole console, but eventually the seal would go in that one too and I'd be back where I started. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, how did you fix it?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your local HD dealer has no idea what causes this...

and replacing the entire console will not cure it. The gauge is not sealed, neither is the console. Even if you did not ride in the rain, moisture would still enter into the gauge interior. Then, when the air moving over the outside of the gauge glass becomes cooler than the interior of the gauge, it will allow condensation to accumulate on the interior of the glass. Trying to cure this would be like installing windshield washers on your iced tea glass to keep the condensation off of the glass exterior.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I will subscribe to this thread as I get the same fogging around the perimeter of the glass. Mine mostly happens after I wash the bike.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have read threads where people drill a small hole in the back, put the little moisture sucking packs in em, re crimp the metal ring on the back and try to seal with clear silicone, dont know how all that worked out, didnt follow the threads. If/when mine starts doing that, think I am just gonna have to suck it up and deal with it. Someone down the road will figure it out hopefully, until then I think we are all stuck like chuck, lol.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,777 Posts

Is just me or is interesting that Maxwell House can seal a $10 plastic can of coffee and Harley cannot do the same for a $300 speedometer? They all do it. I just ignore it like all the in and out shake in the throttle grip. I think the problem is the top is sealed, and the underside has a vent. The moisture cooking off the engine heat goes up.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-13-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:05 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default yea

2009 Road King....My odometer gets a little foggy when engine hot....Goes away over night. Just part of natures water cycle. Glad Im not the only one! will watch to see if there is an answer.
Hap

Old 06-13-2013, 05:11 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine does it on all the guages on my roadie after it sits outside in certain temps. But as soon as I start the bike up and ride it almost instantly goes away. Since this is my first Harley and I know they are the bare minimum when it comes to technology and such, I just assumed it was normal. Now seeing that others have this happen, I guess im right.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get a little fogging in mine as well but it always clears and does not block my view. I have just let it go as long as it does not cause other problems.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maxwell house, yes, perfect example.

Sealing the qauge isn't the answer. The only way sealing it would eliminate the possibility of condensation, would be if you could pull a vacuum on it and then seal it. Temperature changes alone would still cause condensation if it was sealed, but under vacuum, there is no moisture.

And that boys and girls is why maxwell house vacuum packs their coffee, to eliminate moisture.

The likelihood of a gauge on a harley holding a vacuum for very long is pretty slim. My gauges do it to, but clear up pretty quickly...

Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Would happen on my 06 all the time....HD said its the way it is....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Condensation on speedometer