Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding PCH This Summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:27 PM
azbigb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding PCH This Summer

I am planning a 10 day or so trip from San Diego north on the PCH to the San Francisco area later this summer. Planning on camping most of the trip. I am assuming many have made this ride and could shed some light to places to hit or avoid? Anything would be helpful, thanks!

Old 06-16-2013, 05:30 PM
bent trix
Tourer

That ride is on my bucket list. My plan is to intersect Coast highway north of LA, though. I think that where the true beauty begins.

I've never done the ride, so I don't have any insight as to the do's and dont's. Sorry

Old 06-16-2013, 06:06 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best part is from San Simian to Monterey although the part north of ragged point is forever under construction.The wife and I frequently ride up to ragged point for some overpriced coffee.The view is spectacular but not for anyone who's afraid of heights.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beach communities in Orange County tend to enforce noise and helmet ordinances. I would pick up PCH (101) at Sunset Blvd and go North as others have said.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 PM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe someday....(sigh)

Old 06-17-2013, 12:11 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

10 days?? It's a one day ride from SD to SF. There aren't alot of places along the way (San Simion- Montery) but each has their own points. There are camp grounds hikes and hidden beaches if ya want to camp and explore. Espesially around Big Sur.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 AM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I am doing the other end of PCH in July with my Bro. Portland to SanFran down the coast n back for 8 days.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 AM
LoneWolf01
Cruiser

We rode Phoenix to Ventura just north of Malibu up the coast. Stopped at Neptune's Net, Rock Store, etc.. great ride. We will be going on the same ride again in 10 days when I get home. We aren't going past Malibu this time due to some surfing I want to get in. Its supposed to be between 112 and 116 that weekend between phoenix and Yuma that weekend so we will be leaving at sunset to try and avoid getting roasted. If you ride through Huntington Beach, stop at Duke's for some good food and beverage. I can't help with camping but, there are plenty of hotels and some are not too bad in price. In between Monterey and Santa Cruz there is the Sanctuary Beach Resort. Nice place to stop also. Have fun on your ride..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 PM
azbigb
1st Gear

Thanks all for the input !

Old 06-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just got back from a trip north on Hwy 1 a couple of weeks ago. Did the Southern trip last year. All of it is amazing. Lot's of hot chicks walking around in Orange County so try to keep your eyes on the road .

For a change of pace, I suggest hitting Mulholland Hwy that runs into Malibu Beach. Hwy 1 takes you through San Francisco and on the north side of the Golden Gate is a road called Panoramic Hwy that takes you to Stinson Beach...fantastic road.

There are plenty of camping opportunities along the way but Hwy 1 will be loaded with gawkers and RV's so ride safe.

Quick Reply: Riding PCH This Summer