Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wards Fan System & Minibeast Air Horn Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:38 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Wards Fan System & Minibeast Air Horn Fitment

Wondering if any of you who have used Jason's fan system on your rides have tried to install that with a pro pad mini beast air horn system. Obviously the elongated models would not work, but how about the round ones?

Anyone tried and found it fit? If not...did you manage to incorporate both and what did you do get achieve fitment?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Knightlimper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here is my experience.

I mounted a Propad-5 on my 2010 Limited soon after it came home. Used the original rubber mount, and everything seemed to be OK.

For a while.

Began hearing metal-on-metal noises after 10,000 miles, looked all over the primary for the noise, but couldn't find it or even recreate it unless I was on the bike going down the road. Finally realized that my left leg pushed the Propad-5 in toward the cylinders enough for it to hit. The stock rubber mount just wasn't strong enough for the weight of the horn. Took the rubber mount off the bracket and bolted the Propad-5 back on using a metal spacer - no vibration mount at all. Ran the bike to 50,000 miles with no more issues.

Decided to try Jason's fans. With my "no vibration mount" setup, I just needed a longer bolt to mount the fans. (They go closest to the motor, the Propad-5 on the outside). Ran that for about two weeks, but became concerned that the vibration might damage the fans.

Spoke with Jason, he has a "motion limited" rubber mount for heavy horns and his fans. Bought one and installed it, the fans and horn fit together better. Ran the rig for another three weeks, then got a big surprise.

Cranked up the bike and took off for work one morning. Got about 3 miles down the road, then suddenly my fan/horn assembly fell against my left leg and dangled there by the wiring. Pulled over and found that the bridge bracket between the cylinders that the horn bolts to was broken off. Disconnected the wiring, threw it in the tour pack, and went to work. Passed Seminole Harley on the way, stopped in and bought a new bridge bracket.

Once home, I replaced the bridge bracket and mounted Jason's fans along with the original stock horn. I believe the weight of the Propad-5 plus the fans is too much for the Harley horn mounting bracket. The Propad-5 weighs a lot and probably weakened the horn bracket over the 40,000 miles I rode before adding the weight of Jason's fans.

I'm planning to mount the mini-beast back on the bike between the saddlebag and frame soon, I miss the big sound.

So, my take on things is this:
The original Harley bridge bracket for the horn isn't really designed for me to hang the 6.7 lb weight of Jason's fans and a Propad-5. It was designed for the stock horn, which weighs less than a pound. The bracket does not seem to be having a problem with the stock horn and Jason's fans, but together they don't weigh much.

Note: I am not blaming Jason's fans for the bracket failure. The Propad-5 weighs about 5 lbs and used to shake a lot from the vibration of the Limited's "A" motor. I think the weight of the Propad-5 was the max the bracket could handle, and might have caused metal fatigue during the 40,000 miles I put on it. Adding more weight just made it fail sooner.

So, if you want to mount Jason's fans along with a Propad, I would recommend you get his "motion limited" rubber mount for heavy horns. Once you install it, keep an eye on the horn bracket!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM
SlowRain
Road Master

Thanks for the insight. Definitely will not be trying to mount the two together. May have to figure out an alternative location for an air horn. Appreciate the response!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the Mini Beast for three years, used it once to honk at a dog in the highway.
My motor is HOT every time I ride, so I took off the Mini Beast and put the stock horn back on to use the fans which I use every time I ride.

Correction, I used my Mini Beast one other time when my group was leaving a gas stop and my bike wouldn't start. I blasted away on the horn and not one of the 10 other riders even turned around and looked.

The two times I needed an Air Horn while riding against two chicks in their earlier 20s talking on a cell phone that drifted over into my lane I was too busy grabbing the brakes, clutch and whipping out of the way to think about honking a horn.

I'll take the fans.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you double up on the HD bracket if you used longer bolts? I can't remember what that bracket looks like or if you could"stack" them...

Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 PM
SlowRain
Road Master

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I had the Mini Beast for three years, used it once to honk at a dog in the highway.
My motor is HOT every time I ride, so I took off the Mini Beast and put the stock horn back on to use the fans which I use every time I ride.

Correction, I used my Mini Beast one other time when my group was leaving a gas stop and my bike wouldn't start. I blasted away on the horn and not one of the 10 other riders even turned around and looked.

The two times I needed an Air Horn while riding against two chicks in their earlier 20s talking on a cell phone that drifted over into my lane I was too busy grabbing the brakes, clutch and whipping out of the way to think about honking a horn.

I'll take the fans.
Agree...already have had the fans mounted for a couple of months and those aren't going anywhere...Air horn or no air horn.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Knightlimper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stacking brackets

Originally Posted by Florida Swamp Yankee
Could you double up on the HD bracket if you used longer bolts? I can't remember what that bracket looks like or if you could"stack" them...
Nope, the bracket bolts down into the top of the cylinders and then has the horn mount over to the side. No way to stack them.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I love air horns and have had them on two different bikes. I decided this time, on my 2010 Ltd, to go with two high-volume electric horns instead. So I went to the auto parts store and purchased two horns, one a high tone and one a low tone. They are made by Fiamm and are called Highway Blasters.

One of the horns mounted nicely behind the stock cow bell cover. The other I mounted on the wall aft of the rear cylinder between the rear cylinder and the battery compartment. A straight forward install. These horns pull some current so I use a relay energized by the stock horn wiring to connect the horns to the battery when I push the horn button.

Now the bike horn sounds pretty much exactly like a dual-tone car horn.

I've been running Jasons cooling device and this setup with no problem. I did lose the fugly cow bell cover and replaced it with an Airwing "custom" cover.

The whole thing vibrates a little dependant upon the engine rpm. Guess I'll take a look at the bracket just to be on the safe side.

I also removed those chrome bridge covers since this photo was taken because they were blocking the air channel through which Jason's fans are designed to blow.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason has a heavy duty mount for people with the Mini-Beast horns, you just may have to request it. It works with both the round and the elongated horn covers.

I had a Mini-Beast 5 with the FCS on the bike for about 10k miles before the Mini-Beast bracket broke. No stress cracks or any indication that the horn bridge is in danger of breaking at all, as it appears to be all one piece of fairly solid steel, and is thicker than the Mini-Beast bracket.

I'm looking for another Mini-Beast 5 since they discontinued them, and I don't like the round ones. I will have no worries about mounting it to the stock horn bridge again if I can find one either.

For a writeup, see: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fications.html

I did manage to pick up one of Pro-Pad's newer round replacements: They're much lighter than the Mini-Beast 5 ever thought of being.

Last edited by Mike_M; 06-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I do have an enhanced rubber mount that will support both Fans and MB, I don't have it published because honestly it is a can of worms waiting to be opened, but it will work very well for the application. Anyone interested feel free to contact me.

Quick Reply: Wards Fan System & Minibeast Air Horn Fitment