Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'10 EG rough running when hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default '10 EG rough running when hot

Let me explain. I just bought this 10 EG Ultra Classic less than 2 weeks ago. I've noticed that most of the time if I pull over for gas, when I try to start it, it idles very rough for a few seconds. Well today I rode it about 2 miles to get get gas, temp is about 80, and filled it up. When I finished fueling, about 2 or 3 minutes, hit the starter and it started but really rough idle. I tried to give it some throttle and it did nothing but set the check engine light on. Shut it off and same thing only now the throttle does nothing. Off then start again and rough idle smooths out at about 1300 rpm, check engine lite on and no throttle.

Called the HD dealer and service guy said he'd send a truck for it. Well about a minute later I tried to restart. It idled perfectly and the throttle now works and no check engine light. I called the dealer back and told him never mind I was on my lunch hour and couldn't wait for the tow truck and since it was running fine I rode it home. Shut it off for about 10 min or more and it started right back up as normal.

Codes stored were P 1511 and P 2135.

3 Questions:
I understand that these codes are for the FL (fly by wire throttle) and sometimes is related to the wiring harness. I think I caused the error when I tried to give it throttle while it was running rough)
how to I clear the code to see if it re-appears?
Anyone else have a similar problem?

Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM
WestEndMotorsports
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P1511 EFI Power Management Mode P2135 TPS Correlation Error. The issue needs to addressed at the dealership before it leaves you stranded.

One simple test for this condition has been to remove the seat, start the bike and wiggle the harness near the ECM connector and watch for a check engine light. An effected bike will have a CE light come on intermittently and in some cases, the light may stay on after a code is set. Move and secure the harness while trying to relive the strain against the connector
Using some washes or spacers under one end of the ecu, changing the angle of the 2 mating connectors on the ecu.
In some extreme cases, strain relief slots may need to be cut in the seat pan to prevent pressure on the ECM.

Harley knows about this problem and has sent out a service bulletin #tt418-1

Last edited by WestEndMotorsports; 06-18-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 PM
neverhme
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while on a group ride last year, one in our party had a similar problem with his trike. we were forced to sit in traffic for 15 minutes,temps in the 90's, then went for fuel about a mile after.After fueling, trike would idle only, no throttle, he was able to get the reverse to work and limped away from the pumps. All the dealers were closed, so I pulled the side panel, pulled the 40 amp fuse hoping it would clear the codes and run. while waiting for it to cool,noticed his lowers were all closed off, he had washed the bike and forgot to open them. We cooled the bike about 20 minutes,put the fuse in, it started and ran fine the rest of the day.Seems the bikes will go to a fail safe area, Idle but do nothing.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by WestEndMotorsports
P1511 EFI Power Management Mode P2135 TPS Correlation Error. The issue needs to addressed at the dealership before it leaves you stranded.

One simple test for this condition has been to remove the seat, start the bike and wiggle the harness near the ECM connector and watch for a check engine light. An effected bike will have a CE light come on intermittently and in some cases, the light may stay on after a code is set. Move and secure the harness while trying to relive the strain against the connector
Using some washes or spacers under one end of the ecu, changing the angle of the 2 mating connectors on the ecu.
In some extreme cases, strain relief slots may need to be cut in the seat pan to prevent pressure on the ECM.

Harley knows about this problem and has sent out a service bulletin #tt418-1
isnt this directed more towards 08 models?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by neverhme
while on a group ride last year, one in our party had a similar problem with his trike. we were forced to sit in traffic for 15 minutes,temps in the 90's, then went for fuel about a mile after.After fueling, trike would idle only, no throttle, he was able to get the reverse to work and limped away from the pumps. All the dealers were closed, so I pulled the side panel, pulled the 40 amp fuse hoping it would clear the codes and run. while waiting for it to cool,noticed his lowers were all closed off, he had washed the bike and forgot to open them. We cooled the bike about 20 minutes,put the fuse in, it started and ran fine the rest of the day.Seems the bikes will go to a fail safe area, Idle but do nothing.
I didn't know about the lowers and mine are closed. I'll open them and see. I had only ridden the bike about 3 miles and didn't get stuck anywhere. Pretty much just rode to the gas station. The problem is that it is so intermitent it's hard to reproduce. But it has been hard to start and idled rough, like only on one cylinder, every time I've stopped and just fueled. If I go inside and get a drink no problem. So it's like 3 or 4 minutes no start. Wait 10 min and no problem. Almost acts like an old car that would vapor lock or boil the fuel out of the carb. Took a lot to get those old cars started when they were fully warmed up.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

Oh.. I did the test with the seat off and wiggled the wires watching for a CE light. None noted. While I was in there I took the battery cables off and cleaned them. Not that I think that would fix anything but it sure couldn't hurt. I don't think they've ever been cleaned and that is routine maintenance for me on all cars and bikes I own.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

Took the bike to the HD dealer where I bought it. They checked it over and found the loose FL conector or wire. Rode it home and it ran great. I'll have to wait until the next fill up to see if it repeats the rough idle issue.