Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1,000 mile service

I dropped off my king at the dealer yesterday afternoon for the 1k service and, well one thing led to another. I had bought a brightass LED flashing brakelight and a jiffy stand extender, but never got around to installing them so the service guy said he would put them on. And the lock for the leather tour pack has never released the latch without a fight so that needed adjustment along with the toe shifter that was too low to use with anything taller than the edge of my boot. While I was at the parts counter I saw a nice little handlebar mount chrome clock, and I was also thinking how nice it would be to have another few inches of handlebar if only that didn't mean extending cables.

So the bike now has a clock, brightass tail light, heritage style handlebars, and ( at least until Monday) a demo Hammock Rider and Passenger Touring seat. Which seat there is a fair chance I will own by next week, provided my daughter finds it as comfortable for the passenger as I do For the rider. I hold each and every one of you partially responsible for constantly talking about how great your upgrades have been. By the way the bike rode very nice previously and is MUCH improved beyond the norm with the service and upgrades. The clutch in particular is much less clunky and smooth, and low speed balance is better. Very pleased

Unfortunately the service team was not able to install the jiffy stand extender because they said it would interfere with the longer floorboards I added at purchase. So if anyone has a solution or non Harley equivalent please feel free to make suggestions. The difficulty I have is catching the stand with my shoe to put it down when parking. Even another inch would be beneficial. But they did let me return the part for full credit.

The other thing the service department mentioned was that they needed to tighten the front end due to wobble. It was warranty work because my actual mikeage was 974 but had it been at 1,000 plus I would have been charged labor because the tightness is considered normal maintenance/wear. So if your approaching 1,000 miles on your new bike I reccommend you deliver it a few miles under. Just in case. I don't know if there are other items that could bite your wallet at 1,001.

Did I mention the bike rides great? Stupid Harley. I'm just going to tell my employer to direct deposit my check at the dealer. Still lots of cool stuff I'd like to add

Cost of the $1k service, including the purchase price of the new handlebars and the installation of the bars and tail light, after tax, was $468. Well worth it to me.

I'm keeping the demo seat until Monday for evaluation.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 AM
Harleydaddy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why you'd need a clock when theres a digital one on the dash where your odometer/speedometer is, but whatever, it's your bike Bill. Like you said, just keep giving your $ to the HD shop.

I never experienced any front end wobble that your talking about. These front rotors warp just looking at em tho. Had mine replaced under warranty. Lesson there was don't sit at a stop light with your front brake applied. Hot brake pads sitting on the rotors create rotor warping.

Last edited by Harleydaddy; 06-22-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 AM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I didn't really need the clock. But it is very difficult to read the LCD portion of the display when riding due to glare.

I hadn't noticed any wobble myself, I think that the dealer felt there was too much play in the front end. But no harm done since I was under the 1 k miles. I just find it somewhat curious that something like that would fall under normal maintenance not warranty. If the rack on my car was loose I would expect the dealer to fix it. Live and learn.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:00 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My RG had headshake when slowing down & no hands on the bars. Dealer fixed it at my 1K mile service, was actually over.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Yep...that's a "typical" trip to the dealer. Walk/ride in and walk/ride out w/lighter pocketbook. While riding w/my teen daughter earlier this week (she's finishing POP BTW) we stopped at a local IA HD dealer and actually browsed, used the potty & left w/o $pending any ca$h. It was hard, but can be done...

Old 06-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

I like the direct deposit comment. Funny.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:50 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Long as you are happy with you $$$ spent, thats all that matters. Stay safe and enjoy your king.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 AM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its your money and Harley needs it Now! Ride safe..

Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

for longer jiffy stand, try a three or four inch vice grip clamped at thecright angle.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:06 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you did very well. 1k service alone is usually around $300. And to add bars, with installation, plus other stuff for that price, yeah, you did good.

My dealership will usually add any accessory, I buy there, for free when the bike is in for service.