Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 PM
azzy522
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise Control not working

I have 2003 Electra Glide Ultra 100th Anniversary model. FLHTCUI
I cannot get cruise control to work. I turn on cruise switch and try to set at speed by holding the cruise control button on right handle bar control. There is no lights on the speedo or tack that come on and will not hold speed.
What do I need to check and where is the cruise light, on the tach or speedo?
Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 PM
bonz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does a red light come on when you turn on the rocker switch? Also I think you don't hold the set switch you just bump it and the red light will turn green. I guess I would check to see if you have power to and from the rocker switch.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM
azzy522
Novice

light on rocker switch litghts up when switched on. I have no other lights that come on red on the tach or speedo (not sure which gage has the light on it). I have tried bumping the push button, holding it for a second, holding it for a few seconds, with no results.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 PM
M109Rrider
Advanced

Have you checked you brake light switches? Know a guy who damaged his front brake switch taking his controls apart. Brake light stuck on and didn't realize it until he found his cruise not working.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:21 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

first thing i would check is the cruise control fuse in your electrical / fuse bank.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:30 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
first thing i would check is the cruise control fuse in your electrical / fuse bank.
+1 on that. The rocker switch powers a relay, so you can turn it on and it will light up - and still have no cruise. The red light (cruise on but not engaged)/green light (cruise on and engaged) is on the tach, near the bottom.

You can check the brake light switches/operation but if they are malfunctioning the red/green light on the tach should still come on when you power up the cruise from the rocker switch.

Good luck - let us know how you resolve this.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

On/Off is on left side. Turn this switch On and the red light on the speedo lights. Set/Resume is on the right side. When you 'Set', the light on the speedo will turn green, indicating the Cruise is engaged. Mine won't set until I'm over about 35 MPH...

Alan

Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 PM
2-Piece
Cruiser

On my 07 RKC there is a switch built in to one of the throttle cables (by steering head) it had shorted out. I unplugged it and my cruise works again. But now it doesn't disengage if I let off the throttle. Bit of a safety issue if I fall off I guess...

Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

What gear are you in when trying to use the cruise? Mine won't work till I am atleast third. You probably all ready knew that but other than the brake switch, thats all I got

Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 PM
azzy522
Novice

Sorry for delay on reply, been away from computer.
Rocker switch lights up when turned on, no red cruise light comes on on the tach.
Checked the fuse, it is good
Checked all the brake lights, all working good.
When trying to engage the cruise control I was on the highway at 70mph in 5th gear.
I have ESP on this bike so I guess I will take it in to have looked at. Just thought I would ask incase it was something simple.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control not working