Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Removing outer fairing on Ultra Classic.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:29 PM
04sportster04
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Mike M Headlight comes off on its own. I am even using a 2012 headlight bucket on my 1994 FLHTCU. I have five screws on my bucket.

Just like Mike said above. Ring then screws holding bucket. Shoot I even was able to change the relays to my brake and starter this way. :-)

Old 06-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Lone Dawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_M
First question: Are you just trying to disconnect the headlight, or do you want to remove your fairing?

Just a heads up: If you want to remove your headlight, it's easier to use a phillips screwdriver and just remove the headlight:
1 phillips screw for the trim ring
3 phillips screws to remove the headlight.

It's then very easy to unplug the headlight.
I want to remove the outer fairing but maybe it's not a bad idea to remove the headlight first anyway.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Lone Dawg
Is there enough room to tilt the fairing to disconnect the headlight without removing the running/signal light bar? The bike is a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Classic.
You don't need to remove the headlight to remove the fairing ... but remember that you must squeeze ( on the sides ) the plug before pulling to get it disconnected.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Lone Dawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
You don't need to remove the headlight to remove the fairing ... but remember that you must squeeze ( on the sides ) the plug before pulling to get it disconnected.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

i replaced the 4 fairing bolts with 1/4-20 1/2" phillips/flats screws. now i can remove and install in 5 minutes.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 AM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there a way to remove just the headlight lense to clean the inside surface?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Put socks on passing lights, unbolt outer fairing, wiggle it out some, just enough room to reach your hand inside and unplug the light. Comes right off. Cwick, nope, the bulb goes into the plastic housing, you cant remove the lens only. If its dirty/foggy, you can remove the plastic assembly, put a few drops of dawn diswashing detergent in there with a little water, swish it around, and let it air dry, or blow dry, should be good as new. You can also do the same with the passing lamps. DO NOT touch the glass on the bulbs, it will cause em to blow.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Roy D Route
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple more tips. If the torx head screw driver is magnetic that really helps with those lower screws. in addition to a towel over the fender for protection, wrap a towel around the fork legs below the fairing to keep the lower screws from falling into inaccessible places.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As said above, cover the passing lamps with socks or some type of rag. Make sure that you hold onto the innermost screws in the fairing near the forks when you remove them. They tend to fall off the driver and the disappear into the abyss between the forks. They aren't expensive to replace but they do make a little racket till they fall out. Oh, and don't be surprised if you see a few hickory nuts or some other kind of nut fall out when you take the fairing off. The parts manager told me that when I got some parts for under the fairing and I told him that my ride has always been garaged and there were no critters in the building. If the nuts had been rouund, I would have had enough to play pool.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Good to know.
I would like to remove this only once.

I'm installing the LRS Flip 9"
I need to check my speakers (only plays on one side)
And remove the StreetGlide mirrors and install those plugs
(I tried the mirrors-several rides - they pretty much suck)

Quick Reply: Question on Removing outer fairing on Ultra Classic.