Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Removing outer fairing on Ultra Classic.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good tips...here are a couple more...

When you are removing the fairing...I remove the windshield first...then put the center bolt back in a bit just to make sure the thing doesn't fall off when I am pulling the bolts from the inner fairing,

Definitely socks or tape towels over the passing lamps....put a towel over the front fender as well...keeps things that fall on it from dinging the paint.

When you are pulling the bolts from the lowers...I will slide a magnetic tray under the area of the bolt in case the bolt falls....the HD ones have some very strong magnets and usually catch the bolt. Either that or stuff a microfiber towel in under it so the bolt falls into that rather than into the abyss between the forks.

When I am putting it back on...I reverse the procedure....run the center windshield bolt part of the way in first just to hold the fairing in position. If you don't have a magnetic bit for the torx bolts, I will fit the bolt to the bit and take a piece of duct tape about 3/4" wide and wrap it around both the head of the bolt and the bit...which holds it well enough to get it started.

Would recommend you get all four of the inner fairing attaching bolts started halfway before tightening them down.

The following users liked this post:
mixxedupmedia (12-05-2019)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

After having my outer fairing off more times than I can count, and using most all of the tips suggested above, my best discovery was this: after installing the three windshield screws a bit, then installing the windshield because of the room provided by not screwing the three screws down, I could place my left hand under the headlight and lift until the fairing didn't further up--I'm not talking about gorilla pressure, and it's not very far. While holding the outer in place, I can then tighten the three windshield screws and, VOILA, the four screw locations on the inner fairing side line up perfectly every time.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
mixxedupmedia (12-05-2019)