Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio vs CD vs auxiliary plug

Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Radio vs CD vs auxiliary plug

Installed riders claw this evening (man, I like that thing)...so, I plug in iPhone and tune to Pandora and quickly noticed something....tuned to radio and turned up volume (not so great), tuned to CD and turned up volume (better), tuned back to iphone and the volume was so much louder and the speakers were so clear with no distortion. Has anyone else noticed this? I have Hog Tunes on my short list, but my iPhone sounded outstanding.

Man, and the navigation speaks over the music...awesome. I guess thats google maps thats on my iphone (not sure)

Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

CD should sound better than pandora but it is a Harley radio...

Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't stream audio on my iphone, so can't speak to Pandora, but CD definitely is more clear than any of the other functions. iPhone audio quality is very much dependent on the bitrate of the music I have noticed. Lower bitrate, have to crank volume higher and get more distortion. Music ripped at high quality from CD's onto iPhone or iPod is very nice.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Pandora through your iphone and Aux jack is sounding better than a CD..... then you got somthing wrong with your head unit.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,543 Likes on 726 Posts

Check your EQ settings your iPhone, they make a huge difference too. The EQ curves you select are basically there to compensate for the narrow bandwidth of the earbuds. Try playing one of your favorite tunes and running through the iPhones various EQ's that are available, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A) Thank you for your service

B) How about a picture of the Riders Claw? I've looked at them, and I've looked at everything else, but I just can't seem to really 'like' one of them yet.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hellbent
If Pandora through your iphone and Aux jack is sounding better than a CD..... then you got somthing wrong with your head unit.
I can't believe that three of us have this same "problem" within 3 houses of each other and 3 different models of HD with the same stock radio. I guess my car is jacked up too because in my MB, my internal hard drive and the connected ipod sound better any CD I "used" to play. I'm chalking it up to a "not so great stock Harley Davidson radio" ...I'll be fine. I don't own CDs...haven't in many years with the invent of satellite radio, Pandora, and downloading music from iTunes to iPhone/Ipod. "Problem" really isn't a problem at all...I love that my iPhone sounds better....its what I play in all situations.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:05 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Iphone/Ipod is definitely the way to go. I to my dismay and regret ponyed up the cash for the Sirius module. Between the poor sound quality and the constant yak yak yak of the "DJs" on music only stations I am very disappointed and Ive been an XM customer for over a decade.
The Iphone through the aux port using Itunes or Pandora is way better, the sound quality is superior and I get music, just music.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 AM
1hellbent
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
I can't believe that three of us have this same "problem" within 3 houses of each other and 3 different models of HD with the same stock radio. I guess my car is jacked up too because in my MB, my internal hard drive and the connected ipod sound better any CD I "used" to play. I'm chalking it up to a "not so great stock Harley Davidson radio" ...I'll be fine. I don't own CDs...haven't in many years with the invent of satellite radio, Pandora, and downloading music from iTunes to iPhone/Ipod. "Problem" really isn't a problem at all...I love that my iPhone sounds better....its what I play in all situations.
Wasn't talking about playing MP3's, whether it be from a CD, ipod or any other storage media..... they will always sound superior. I'm talking about streaming Pandora, which is what you originally stated. Digital media will always sound better than streaming audio such as Pandora.

If streaming pandora sounds better than a CD loaded with MP3's....somethings wrong.

Last edited by 1hellbent; 06-29-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 AM
06Cummins
Road Captain

Your iPhone is hooked up to the headset jack right? If so your pushing the extra volume into the radio in return your getting a louder radio that you can actually hear while riding. And stated before play with the EQ settings and you can tune it just right.
Just so you know my 04 which is a different radio is the same way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio vs CD vs auxiliary plug