Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn a Classic into a classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 526 Posts
Default RE: Turn a Classic into a classic

I've been going "ol skool" with the RK standard since I got her. I'll try to get pics of her tomorrow, its kinda hard right now. Theres 8" of ice snow in the yard and I cant get her out the back door right now.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:47 AM
Nails
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic job, Sol!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Business travel took me to Long Island, NY this week.Had some time to kill sostopped by Lighthouse H-D to look around & pick up a souvenir t-shirt. On display, they had some "20th Century Design" bikes that put my bike to shame as far as looking nostalgic.

These bikes at first glance looked to be late 50's Dou-Glides. I dida double-take becausethese are in factSoftail Deluxes that have all the retro goodies including pan-like rocker covers on the Twin-Cam engine.

You can check 'em out here: http://www.lighthousehd.com/custompage2.asp?pg=info

Billy Joel lends his name as the "designer" in 20th Century Designs so you can bet on big $$$ (I didn't embarrass myself by asking price). Still, these are some fantastic looking bikes.

BTW,flight cancellation has me stranded in NY tonight so that fresh shirt I bought is going to be needed.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

My mind is always wandering away from wokr and I'm always thinking of the next thing to order for my bike to give it an old style. You can see in my picture that I have (had) leather braided levers. I got tired of the flapping so I cut the fringe off and now have just the black leather on the levers. Recently I've been looking at the Iron Braids - braided levers in theKuryakyn web site. I was wondering what would you nostalgic nuts think about blue and white (no fringe) levers on my Road King? (Blue beingthe dominant color)

My firstthought is they wouldn't look'manly', but heck a lot of the old bikes had whiteseats, grips, etc.....

Think the blue and white levers would look okay? Blue and black? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Sol
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

My mind is always wandering away from wokr and I'm always thinking of the next thing to order for my bike to give it an old style. You can see in my picture that I have (had) leather braided levers. I got tired of the flapping so I cut the fringe off and now have just the black leather on the levers. Recently I've been looking at the Iron Braids - braided levers in theKuryakyn web site. I was wondering what would you nostalgic nuts think about blue and white (no fringe) levers on my Road King? (Blue beingthe dominant color)

My firstthought is they wouldn't look'manly', but heck a lot of the old bikes had whiteseats, grips, etc.....

Think the blue and white levers would look okay? Blue and black? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
I'd say thewhite grips are goingmake a big impact on the way your bike looks, you might start there and see how you like it.

Of course, the white grips and blue/white leverswill need chome controls. Chrome controls will need braided cables...

Gosh, Whiskers, it's easy to spend your money

Old 03-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Actually all I was thinking about were the levers. The picture is old, I've changed the bars to Chubby's and the cables are stainless now. One of these days I'll update the picture. By the way, if you are interested, I was at the Kuryakyn e-bay outlet store a few minutes ago and they are having a closeout on Iron Braided levers...noticed black and white and black and creme...some with and without the long fringe. Nothing in blue/white though.[:@]

Whiskers.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 AM
ringonking
Advanced

hey sol,are the rims on your bike the low profile rims?did you have to do anything to install them on the bike?i have been thiking about getting then my self.i have a 2000 road king classic.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I peeled the warning lables off my bike!!!!
thats classic

The following 2 users liked this post by electaRICK:
HarrysToy (04-07-2016), N1265 (08-07-2022)
Old 03-02-2007, 07:43 PM
RIRAM
Advanced

Here is my attempt 07 Road King Classic Still a work in progress

Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Sol
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ringonking

hey sol,are the rims on your bike the low profile rims?did you have to do anything to install them on the bike?i have been thiking about getting then my self.i have a 2000 road king classic.
Yes those are H-D's Profile laced rims. A bearing swap was all that was needed for the 3/4" rear axle that is on 2000 & 2001 touring bikes. Front axle is 1" on 2000 & up.

RIRAM: lookin' good, suede blue looks great on your RKC.

Whiskers: for me, I'll stickwith the chrome levers-Iwas surprized tonotice that they feel better than anything else I've tried.

Quick Reply: Turn a Classic into a classic