Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10,000 mile service check

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 AM
hunter1jonathan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10,000 mile service check

I was wanting to know opinions on the 10,000 mile service check. I was thinking of doing the check with the dealer at 10k, 30k, 50k,etc in those intervals. I would do my own oil replacement in-between. Anybody else do it differently? The Big V-twin at my dealer is flat rate $395 for the service including oil.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM
fireman9170
Road Captain

not a terrible idea, in my opinion. Of course a lot will say buy a manual and do it yourself. Peace of mind is worth something though, I think.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:40 PM
GeorgiaGlide
Cruiser

I'm with you, do the bugs at the dealer and do the rest myself

Old 07-04-2013, 01:52 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I service my own, but let them go over it when I had them install the new rear tire which was on sale. They found a critical fastener a little loose. Not a bad idea to have a second opinion every now and then if you can trust them. My Dealer seems pretty straight up with most folks, but there are lots of horror stories about other dealers in the forum...

Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Most of the checks, other than fluid changes, have to do with cable lubing, clutch adjustment, lights, fasteners, brakes, etc. The two big ones that require most people to take the bike to a shop is brake fluid flush and change and fork oil flush and change. Most of the other stuff can be done if you have mechanical knowledge.

There is a place on Harley's website where you can enter your VIN and it will show what service is required at certain mileages. You just have to create a profile first. https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...bmLocale=en_US

Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman9170
not a terrible idea, in my opinion. Of course a lot will say buy a manual and do it yourself. Peace of mind is worth something though, I think.
Even if you have someone else do the major services, get the manual anyway. At some point, you're going to use it. It's chock full of good information about your motorsikle. DO NOT buy clymers or Haynes, get the OEM manual.

Happy motoring!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
Even if you have someone else do the major services, get the manual anyway. At some point, you're going to use it. It's chock full of good information about your motorsikle. DO NOT buy clymers or Haynes, get the OEM manual.

Happy motoring!

The very first 'accessory' you should buy for your bike, is the service manual, IMHO!
Hell, if nothing else, you can broaden your mechanical knowledge just by reading through the General Information chapter. Then, there is the Trouble Shooting chapter, which will turn you into a virtual wealth of knowledge on what to expect when something goes wrong.

All those questions you may be embarrassed to admit not knowing the answers to, are answered in the service manual! It may even sway your thinking that the dealership is a better choice, or give you an idea when they are blowing smoke up yer ***!

And, sometimes, the best 'peace of mind' you can get comes from knowing first hand every single detail of how the upgrade/repair/installation went...

Last edited by Def Mute; 07-05-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:35 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 10K is the same as a5K, bring it to the dealer for the 20K, that's the one where the forks ar disassembled.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:12 PM
hunter1jonathan
Novice

Good to know on the 20k that's when fork lube is changed. Can anyone give me a link or part number for the OEM Service Manuel? I need it for an FLHTCU 2013 "Ultra Classic". I can't find it anywhere including the HD part catalogue and online website.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:49 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter1jonathan
good to know on the 20k that's when fork lube is changed. Can anyone give me a link or part number for the oem service manuel? I need it for an flhtcu 2013 "ultra classic". I can't find it anywhere including the hd part catalogue and online website.
99483-13
2013 harley-davidson touring models

Quick Reply: 10,000 mile service check