Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these wires on Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Bigg Lou
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What are these wires on Street Glide?

OK, so I upgraded my Street Glide stock HD radio with a great Sony model using the Biketronics plug and play setup. The entire process took no more than 15 minutes. Took longer to remove the outer fairing. I was impatient cause I dislike my iPod hanging off my handlebars connected to the AUX with the external wire. The new Sony has the iPhone sitting inside the stereo, cool. Anyway instead of waiting for the new speakers and amp to arrive also and do this in one shot I installed the Sony right away.

So while in the fairing I had a good look at all the wiring (first time I have removed the fairing) and was looking at how to power the amp. I would like to use the existing wire connectors to keep a clean install but while in there I noticed three plugs and could not locate the ACC switch wires.

And yes I did order a service manual for my 2013 Street Glide but it was back ordered and won't arrive for another week or so. Here are the three plugs I came across two of them come out of the headlight harness with the other coming out from near the DC plug. Does anyone know what each of these wires are and which wire is hot and which is ground? Are the switched or always hot also?

Amp and speakers are due in Monday and would like to setup my new stereo system tomorrow. Thanks much for the help. Below are pics I took of these three wires.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

I beleive the two plugs in photos 1 &3 are for the spot lights like are on the ultra and ultra classic one for the left and one for the right, the SG uses the same interconnect harness but does not have the spots installed.

the ones coming off the headlight have been there for some time and i have no idea what they are for. When i installed daymakers on my road glide, the instruction required them to be used to light up the small HD emblems in the daymakers. Other than that i do not know what they are for but i can say they are a constant power source.

i am certain someone will know more

Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I believe the ones in the light harness are for marker lights on international models. I use them to power my GPS. An Amp will need at least a 10 gauge fused wire from the battery. I'm using 8 gauge for my JL XD400/4 amp. Ground it to the frame also.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Bigg Lou
Tourer

Thanks much fellas. That'll work. That's enough info for me to get my amp wired Monday.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 AM
tazman509
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your amp should come with a wiring harness to connect to the battery. It should be at least a 10 gauge, like Oldhippie mentioned and with an inline fuse. It is best IMO to lift the tank (preferably empty) and run the harness thru the channel under the tank. Make sure you get a good ground. Improper ground seems to be the biggest cause of issues after amp install.

Last edited by tazman509; 07-07-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

These posts would lead someone to believe that an amp supply line is some kind of standard size. Nothing could be further from reality.

First, you never stated what kind of amp you have much less how much current it may potentially pull, so there is no way anyone can recommend a wire size to you without that information.

You need to ensure that you feed the amp with a wire diameter capable of handling the current draw of the amp without getting hot, melting, or damaging something else in it's proximity.

Do your home work before you start your amp install, or you may be in store for a few unpleasant surprises.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Bigg Lou
Tourer

You are indeed correct. More info always helpful.

I have an Elf Audio E2125XN 2 Channel Bridgeable Amplifier en route connecting a Sony DSX-MS60 marine in-dash receiver to a pair of Polk db651 Marine speakers.

The reason I would rather connect to a power source in the fairing is I'm going to be experimenting with various amps to get the right sound, clarity and loudness that I am happy with. The Elf I have coming in seems a little to deep so I question if it will even fit on top of the Sony and still be able to button up the fairing. The Kicker as good as it is doesn't put out enough power for what I want but would fit perfectly as I used one in my last custom built fairing. The Arc seems to be the same as the Elf with a different brand name. So I would like to use the existing plugs made available by the MOCO if possible. If not I don't have a problem running appropriate wire with in-line fuse directly to the battery.

Just looking for the cleanest install and hoping to be able to use the existing plugs in the fairing if possible. I don't even have a problem splicing into the ACC switch an in-line fuse to accommodate the Amp power requirements and fuse protection. Just need guidance on what those plugs are as I have a trip to SoCal then to Fresno the end of the week and won't have the service manual in time to have that guidance, hence why I came to the always helpful and informative HDForums.com

Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of those wires are big enough for your amp supply or ground. You could use the one on your headlight bundle for your remote turn on, but that's it.

You need to run a separate conductor straight to the battery for your amp power. Don't forget the inline fuse. Cleanest install is to pull the tank and run it up the frames backbone.

Last edited by Pioneer74; 07-07-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 PM
hwork
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like pioneer said you definitely need to run a 8 gauge power wire (or at least 10) directly to the battery and a good ground of at least the same size. If you are going to be trying different amps that is by far the best way to go. My buddy has the elf amp and it fit perfectly on top of the stock HD headunit if indeed you got the amp that is the arc mini clone.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Cep10SG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Blue/Black connector is for the light on the front fender lip, the orange wire is where to connect the Aux lights (if you have them), that pic is a bit blurry to me. Your Aux lights will turn off when you hit the high beams, unless you connect them elsewhere to the light harness, or you can spend some $ and buy a harness from the dealer. The orange and black plug looks like an acc plug, i used it to plug my Garmin there. There's another plug on the other side that is black and white, you would connect your heated hand grips to that one. Don't take any short cuts and just pull the tank off, it's really easy to do. Run your Amp + wire to the battery because those smaller wires will not handle the amperage draw and you will fry your wires. I bought a manual so i would know "what was what" under the fairing. You can connect the ground on the right side of the neck on a bolt there. Just my .02 cents.

sorry, forgot to mention they are all switched wires.

Cep

Last edited by Cep10SG; 07-07-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: What are these wires on Street Glide?