Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering Street Glide

I have a 2012 Street Glide. Thinking about lowering bike to get feet completely on ground. Thinking about a lower profile rear shock. Is it a good idea to just lower the rear and not the front. Will the bike be out of balance? Certainly don't want to do anything that will make the bike dangerous. If it will not hurt anything, can anybody steer me in the right direction on a good low profile rear shock.

Thanks

Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK just a few tips I am a short guy 28" inseam . I started with a RK my shocks were 13" yours are 12" .

First thing get some good engineer boots and have a cobbler make the soles thicker and heals taller .

Next consider having MeanCity Cycle mod your seat . They made my seat 2" lower and 2" narrower added memory foam for comfort ,. at a super thrifty price .I paid just under $150 including shipping both ways .
The seat is MOORE comfortable now ,I have put 15,000 miles on it since it was modified many 550+ mile days in comfort.

Heck this might just do it for you .

if you just go with the boots and seat mod your not changing your bikes geometry .

I bought some 12" street glide shocks on eBay but before I installed them I traded them for some 11" Bitch'n Bagger shocks . there stock air shocks cut down .

now running the shorter shocks on mine without lowering the forks didn't seem to impact the handling for me .

Heck I think it tracks better now ! could be my imagination.

Last edited by baust55; 07-14-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:39 PM
NC-WillieG
Advanced

Do you have a side picture with the 11" shocks? Really would like to see what that looks like. THX

Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'8". I lowered front 1" using Progressive drop in kit(it is NOT really a drop in kit!). I went from tip toes to almost flat footed. Seat is @ MCC getting lowered 1' & narrowed. I have no doubt I will then be flat footed & then some. I've noticed no difference in handling other than the front is firmer, which I wanted because it was too mushy for me. I also added 15wt. Bel-Ray fork oil.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry I don't have a side pic on hand . I really didn't notice if it looked much different .
"LIKE REALLY COOL "
Ha I think my Classic looked cool before and after .
But the bike sets nice and my feet touch the ground on both sides when I stop or back it up.

I should have taken before and after pics .

The bike rides really nice and sails around sweeping corners like its on rails.

If you have a heavy bike like an Ultra and if you and your passenger are "BIG" I don't think you want to go much lower than 12" or 11.5" with stock type air shocks .

I run 24lb solo and 28lb or 30lb two up or two up loaded in my 11" Bitchin Bagger shocks..

I think if your lowering because your short . go with the seat mod and tall boots first before you decide you need to go further and mess with the suspension.

I think if I had needed to be lower I would have next lowered the front one or two inches with Progressive mono tubes .

Right now I am happy and I spent less than $300 for shocks , seat mod , and boot mod .
THRIFTY !

""" YOUR RESULTS MY VERY """"

Last edited by baust55; 07-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM
fxdxharley
Cruiser

lowering the front and shorter rear shocks is your best bet. the seat being cut down may work but will make it less comfortable. as for the boots that is just a band aid, good idea but what if he dosent wear boots or like me different shoes all the time. then the boots are useless.
as long as it is lowered correctly it will ride and feel great. to much in the rear it will feel like a chopper and flop over in turns. to much in front and on in rear will make it ride like a dirt bike and unstable at higher speeds. equal amouts on both ends is the best way.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Major Thom
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealing with the same issue as I dropped my brand new SG today in the parking lot on a hill. Hate to lower the suspension more, but it is too heavy of a bike to be playing ballarina at every stop.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

I have heard they don't have much suspension travel to begin with, will there be any once you go and lower it even more?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
CaptainK
Cruiser

Along the same lines. I dropped the rear of my 12 SG 1" but have the capability of going 2". The directions on the package said not to go 2" on rear because of clearance issues.

Sorry OP if I am hijacking but I think it is along the same lines.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I put heavy duty 11.5 inch Progressive shocks on my Streetglide, still needed more. I added a lowering kit, use the 2 inch setting. Perfect, very flat footed now, and with the shock preload cranked up I don't bottom.

Quick Reply: Lowering Street Glide