Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF fluid in primary

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ATF fluid in primary

I was having a Hell of a time finding neutral in my 05 bagger. VERY frustrating to say the least. Made sure the clutch adjustment was good. Still no good.
I did a search here on the forums and read a few threads about type F ATF. I am here to report that the results were like night and day immediately. Much cheaper than the Harley stuff and shifts better than new. (With almost 75k on the clock!) Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

trouble finding neutral is often a poorly adjusted primary chain ( yes, can also be clutch adjustment).

also the H-D tranny design allows Neutral from 1st, not from 2nd.

mike

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
also the H-D tranny design allows Neutral from 1st, not from 2nd.

mike
Not sure about the design but I have no trouble going to neutral from either first gear or second gear.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I am a huge fan of ATF in the primary. It makes a big difference in clutch operation. I have run both type F and Dextron/Mercon. In stock or near stock applications I prefer the smoother Dextron/Mercon III, and in higher performance motors, the Ford. I just think the D/M III lends itself to smoother clutch operation. At least to me, the slush that comes from the factory is great for novice riders who prefer soft clutches, but I prefer the more direct feel the ATF gives, and clutch function is greatly improved. I have found without the drag the thick MOCO slop has, finding neutral was much smoother and simpler. Not to mention, gear shifts are much quieter. Some people prefer the massive BANG from the the stock setup, I don't.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 PM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problem finding neutral from 1st or 2nd. Too much fluid in primary will make it difficult to find neutral.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wndchsr2
Not sure about the design but I have no trouble going to neutral from either first gear or second gear.
Same with me....even after the stealership adjusted my clutch via the primary and cable. Now its much better!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:57 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Always use it because i have 2 -3 cases of it in stock all the time.(type F ATF) It has always worked in all the bikes.. pans,shovels sportys and the EVO in the shed. If you have ever rebuilt a automatic auto/truck trans you will understand when you pull the clutches/primary on a HD. Hey and it s so cheap and easy it gets changed every time i do the engine oil. 3 bucks and 15 min to adjust clutch Neutral on the roll everytime.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:14 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the formula + in mine and works great , have read some place that ATF was not good for motorcycle clutches , I think it was something about the bonding of the disc not sure but I guess what ever works

Old 07-20-2013, 06:17 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

At most of my fuel stops, I shift from second to neutral, no problem.
Falls right in.
That's a new one on me...

Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 AM
SubZer0
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
I use the formula + in mine and works great , have read some place that ATF was not good for motorcycle clutches , I think it was something about the bonding of the disc not sure but I guess what ever works
I was wondering about this as well. That and how it effects any seals and gaskets. You would think if it was so great the Harley would put their label on some and sell it for $10.00 a quart.

Quick Reply: ATF fluid in primary