Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V v. Fuel Pak

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Power Commander V v. Fuel Pak

Howdy! I'm debating the merits of the Power Commander V v. a Vance & Hines Tour Pak for a planned upgrade on a 96" 2010 Street Glide (exhaust and hi-flow filter only). I've had a Power Commander on other bikes in the past and have been happy with them.

Can anyone offer any input on the Fuel Pak?? Thanks!

-Carl

Old 07-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I almost lost my wife when her V&H Fuel pack installed by the folks at HD decided to go belly up in the middle of I-95 at rush hour. You won't catch me with one ever again!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had a FP on my bike for 50k miles and never had a problem. Don't know what
Chaz in TN issues where but would like to hear what happened.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
ckamin
Tourer

The Vance & Hines website made it look like programming the fuel pak with an appropriate fuel curve is easy... true?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Terrabella
Road Master

Originally Posted by ckamin
The Vance & Hines website made it look like programming the fuel pak with an appropriate fuel curve is easy... true?
Not a mind twister to program the FP. There are a lot of settings input based on your current settings. I found it easy to have someone read the settings to you while you input the figures. Again, I have never had a problem with the FP and V&H tech guys are very helpful if you give them a call. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM
ckamin
Tourer

Thanks for the input! Do you know if it works in conjunction with a dealer-installed Stage 1 download or if it overrides it?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Terrabella
Road Master

Originally Posted by ckamin
Thanks for the input! Do you know if it works in conjunction with a dealer-installed Stage 1 download or if it overrides it?
What I did was to install V&H monster ovals and V&H True headers and the VH FP. Additionally, installed a Mo Flo air cleaner. Never did the Stage One download. My bike runs fine and mileage ranges in the 38/40 mpg range. For my purpose, the FP has done what it is advertised to do. Obviously there are more sophisticated systems out there and the prices are reflective of that. For me, I just kept it simple and it has worked for me. As we all know, you can spend and spend on different systems. The FP is a simple system not intended to be a cure all but serves a limited fuel management system at a reasonable price.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I prefer about the PCV vs FP is that w/ the PCV you can individually adjust each fuel or timing cell for throttle position or RPM or mutliple combinations of each.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

The FP worked fine on my "10" SG with just a slip-on,Stock 2-1 header and SEstg1download,K&N filter. But I had no idea what my AFR was at or any other settings.They are very helpful at tech support but can't or won't tell you what each node's settings actually do. It didn't work so well when I upgaded to the S&S PTD's w/ V&H turndowns after many calls. So I went with the Power Vision.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Exactly, from what I understand there's no easy way to manipulate timing on the FP. Here's why that' s important: if down the road your bike starts to ping the only way I found is to retard the timing 1 degree at a time in the areas of the ping until it's completely gone. You can do it from any laptop at anytime instead of depending on someone else to do it........The PCV is the minimal tuner I would go with that will get the job done, but there are others that run much more depending on what you need them to do.

Quick Reply: Power Commander V v. Fuel Pak