Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBW Guru's: 'Seal Cap' question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 PM
TexFF
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TBW Guru's: 'Seal Cap' question

I'm replacing bars & grips on my '09 SG. In the manual it talks about a seal cap on the TBW device. I don't know what exactly it's supposed to look like but I believe mine is missing. On the end of my TBW device it has 2 copper slots where it appears something plugs into & has a + emblem near one of the slots. Is this where the cap seal is supposed to plug in? It seems I only see the seal cap mentioned when they are referring to heated grips. Is the seal cap only needed for heated grips or is it required w/out heated grips as well? I can't find a part # for just the seal cap.

***EDIT*** Part # for Seal Cap is 32306-08

Last edited by TexFF; 07-24-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

I don't know anything about the TBW system used by HD, but I do work with similar CAN networks used in industrial machinery.

The network needs a terminator of a specified resistance for the communication network to work. If this is what you are describing then it would be a crucial bit of kit. If you are familiar with the old coaxial computer networks you always had to put a resistor cap on the end of the network or the whole network went down - same principle.

Again, I am speculating as I don't know the network protocol and hardware infrastructure that is being used

Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Yes the part you describe is the connection on the throttle side for the heated grips.
If you can see the plug then you obviously must have it removed. If you do not have heated grips, don't worry about it. If you do have heated grips, you need to fish the wires back out and reconnect it or you heated grips will not work.

Good luck fishing those wires out though. When I had mine off to replace the bars, I did not know about the connection and when I removed the grip it unplugged its self.
It did not matter to me as I did not reinstall the heated grips but had I just been swapping grips only and keeping the heat, there was not enough slack in the harness to plug them back up. I would have had to pull enough slack in the wires to reconnect it if I wanted the heated grips to work.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 AM
TexFF
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
Yes the part you describe is the connection on the throttle side for the heated grips.
If you can see the plug then you obviously must have it removed. If you do not have heated grips, don't worry about it. If you do have heated grips, you need to fish the wires back out and reconnect it or you heated grips will not work.

Good luck fishing those wires out though. When I had mine off to replace the bars, I did not know about the connection and when I removed the grip it unplugged its self.
It did not matter to me as I did not reinstall the heated grips but had I just been swapping grips only and keeping the heat, there was not enough slack in the harness to plug them back up. I would have had to pull enough slack in the wires to reconnect it if I wanted the heated grips to work.
I'm trying to upload a pic but my photobucket account is messing up. I'm not installing heated grips(live in Texas!) but I'm not talking about the end that has wires on it. I'm talking about the end w/the teeth that interlock w/the grip. THAT end has 2 holes/slots for the 'seal cap' to plug into. That's the part I'm wondering if I have to have. Thanks.

***EDIT*** Part # for Seal Cap is 32306-08.

Last edited by TexFF; 07-24-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 AM
flhxmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are missing the black plastic piece that's goes on the end of the twist grip, It covers those two little holes. I pried mine off out a curiosity. I don't think its anything to worry about.

-Mike

Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by TexFF
I'm trying to upload a pic but my photobucket account is messing up. I'm not installing heated grips(live in Texas!) but I'm not talking about the end that has wires on it. I'm talking about the end w/the teeth that interlock w/the grip. THAT end has 2 holes/slots for the 'seal cap' to plug into. That's the part I'm wondering if I have to have. Thanks.

***EDIT*** Part # for Seal Cap is 32306-08.

Oops, disregard what I said. I have it mixed up.
Yes that connection is for the heated grips. If you have heated grips, look inside the grip and you will see 2 prongs on the inside of the end cap.
If you do not have heated grips, do not worry about it. The same TBW sensor is used on both heated and non heated bike I believe.

Mine looks just like that and I DID NOT put heated grips back on the bike. There are no issues with mine.

I was thinking you were referring to the wires connecting to the TBW sensor its self at first.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member

In other words, don't worry about it and install whatever grips you want. Don't worry about the cap or plugging those holes up.

The only thing that could happen is moisture getting in ther and causing a problem if you ever decide to go with heated grips again.

If it makes you feel any better, plug the holes with silicon that you can pull out if you ever want to use heated grips.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently replaced my TBW unit to get rid of the connector inside the bars. I do have heated grips and the new TBW unit came with a cap over the end. It seemed pretty flimsy and just clipped into the two notches on the side of the opening. The heated grip has a small plug that plugs into the two connectors shown in your picture. I doubt it will hurt anything to reinstall without the cap as the grip has a cap on the end. If your concerned fill the connector holes with di-electric grease. That should protect them from water and corrosion and will be easy to clean out if you ever want to connect heated grips.