Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a used Road King - What years to be cautious of???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Jarhead2269
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

http://m.dreammachinesoftexas.com/#/vehicle/4206380

Less then $1k above your budget and I'm sure you could talk them down a little. Have seen others even cheaper but this was the first one i found. Don't limit yourself to a older bike. And if you happen to find a bike that's halfway across the country but a great deal, it offers a nice long ride to get to know your new bike.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Same here. I found
2001-2002 Best for building. Solid cranks, Timkin bearings, Delphi EFI
2004-2006 Put aside $1200 for SE Cam plate with hi cap oil pump and Hydraulic cam tensioers. Also found Stators are weaker due to the bolts on those years, Otherwise I found no issues. Carbed and EFI available.

2007 Has larger motor (more heat) upgraded tensioners and oil pump, better stator.
I read of compensator issues bit not really a deal breaker.

2009 is a great choice but personally out of my self imposed price limits. I won't finance any vehicle. Hate installment payments on anything. Took too long and much sacrifice to become completely debt free. Now we loan ourselves money and pay it back. Changes the value system a lot. Plus depreciation on older models is very low.

x2, Sold info!

Garemlin,

Sorry to hear, you had to sell your scoot. It looked really good! I'm sure everything will get better for you.

Have fun with your next scoot.

YB

Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

YB: Yeah it killed me to have to sell her. But some times you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anything I go to now is gonna be culture shock after being used to the 103, six speed and new frame. But I would rather be riding something than watching everyone else in the wind.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:41 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an '07 Roadking Custom that I bought new. Overall a wonderful bike and I do miss it. Things I didn't know then that would have been helpful: '07 was the first year they put the 6-speed on. It was noisy and HD's solution was to sell the Internal Dampening System that you bolted onto the rear wheel--which soaks up the vibrations and noises that otherwise get transmitted through the frame and into your ears....they mixed straight and helically-cut gears, so whenever you hit those, it sounded like rocks in a tin can. The IDS helped a lot, especially when you ran something heavy in the transmission like a Redline product. That IDS has become a stock item now, so that particular problem hasn't gone away so much as been "bandaged" on newer bikes. The other thing about the '07 and even newer ones was the rear cylinder exhaust pipe that runs diagonally under your right leg. That gets very hot. On later models HD curved that forward which helps with the heat a bit. Nothing that a pair of heat shields won't fix, but still.....just saying. These are just things I'm pointing out on the '07 FLHRS. My buddy rides an '09 and he's had his own share of little things that I think a lot of us on other models experience as well. Regardless of these little things, the Roadking consistently does one thing nobody can argue (much) about--it gives you more bike for the money than the other touring models. You get a lot of great features standard on the King that you'd pay extra for on other ones. Great bikes.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Looking at your local craigslist, plenty of options.

if it were me...I'd be looking for an Evo Roadking ( carbed) for about 6K.

or a 2009+

the early twin cams I wouldn't consider- more for the F'ed attempts at EFI

mike
I agree the EVO was a tough motor but as I recall it, stock it was gutless. That's the first thing I noticed about the 96", fully stock it had good power.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Beautiful bike and good price. I would just rather get something with low miles as I put 10-12k a year myself.
Even if this bike needs a little work in the future, that was the best year motor and the 5 speed is bulletproof........

Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead2269
http://m.dreammachinesoftexas.com/#/vehicle/4206380

Less then $1k above your budget and I'm sure you could talk them down a little. Have seen others even cheaper but this was the first one i found. Don't limit yourself to a older bike. And if you happen to find a bike that's halfway across the country but a great deal, it offers a nice long ride to get to know your new bike.
Now that's a good price. $1000 less is an easy offer. Wow. I would buy that tomorrow if it were here and I could give it a good look..Personally I would not buy a bike with more than 17K in any year. There are a ton of bikes out there with low mileage at $11K or less if one casts a wide net. Almost can pick your own color. Nothing destroys resale more than mileage. Especially on a Harley because there are so many low mile bikes out there in every year.

Originally Posted by TJRKC
I had an '07 Roadking Custom that I bought new. Overall a wonderful bike and I do miss it. Things I didn't know then that would have been helpful: '07 was the first year they put the 6-speed on. It was noisy and HD's solution was to sell the Internal Dampening System that you bolted onto the rear wheel--which soaks up the vibrations and noises that otherwise get transmitted through the frame and into your ears....they mixed straight and helically-cut gears, so whenever you hit those, it sounded like rocks in a tin can. The IDS helped a lot, especially when you ran something heavy in the transmission like a Redline product. That IDS has become a stock item now, so that particular problem hasn't gone away so much as been "bandaged" on newer bikes. The other thing about the '07 and even newer ones was the rear cylinder exhaust pipe that runs diagonally under your right leg. That gets very hot. On later models HD curved that forward which helps with the heat a bit. Nothing that a pair of heat shields won't fix, but still.....just saying. These are just things I'm pointing out on the '07 FLHRS. My buddy rides an '09 and he's had his own share of little things that I think a lot of us on other models experience as well. Regardless of these little things, the Roadking consistently does one thing nobody can argue (much) about--it gives you more bike for the money than the other touring models. You get a lot of great features standard on the King that you'd pay extra for on other ones. Great bikes.
WOW thanks for that. Did not know about the IDS issue. I think the 6 speed is probably ok for someone who is on the highway a lot. As a commuter I would probably do well to stick with the 88 and 5 speed unless I could jump to an 11. The 07/10 seems like "bridge bikes" HD did not run that drive train for as long as the 88s.
Its looking like the 2011 is the best move from the 06. So if I get an 01-06 I can ride it for four years put 12K on it and look for an 11. LOL

Last edited by TenMidgets; 07-24-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of you may know I just had to sell my 2013 Road Glide Ultra due to unfortunate life situation. I'm currently in the market for a used Road King. Looking at 2004-2010 in the 10-12k range. I found two really nice 2004 Road King Customs locally. Both one owner. One has 12k miles and asking price is 12.5k. Another has 5700 miles and the asking price is 10.5k. This one has 10" Wild Ones, Stage 1 d/l, big sucker, pipes, 15" shield, backrest and a few other do-dads. I am sure if I waited I could possibly find something newer with the 96 and six speed in that price range. But this one seems like a good deal. Are there any models within those years I should be cautious of???? I do remember there was a big deal with the IDS on one year and a few other years that had issues to watch out for. This will be my first used touring bike after buying all new since 2005. Wanna avoid getting burned.
I have an 04 RK Custom with only 3k miles for sale. It's got a SE 95" kit, cams, Rhinegart True Duals, etc. Its perfect and like new. If your interested I can PM pics. Thanks

Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The more I look the more I find. Have several I am gonna take a look at. They are in order top to bottom at my interest level.

2004 Harley Davidson Road King Custom FLHRSI

Harley Davidson 2002 Road King Classic/FLHRCI

2004 Harley Davidson Road King Custom

2005 Road King Custom

Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

The more I look the more I find. Have several I am gonna take a look at. They are in order top to bottom at my interest level.

2005 Road King Custom
I would buy that one tomorrow if it was here... Best price/mileage combo I have seen so far. I don't want someone's build over a Stage one with a tune as I will always worry if the crank can handle the additional ponies. (Unless it was on a 2001-2002) Then yummy! .

Fall is coming...Lots of bikes will be showing up.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 07-24-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a used Road King - What years to be cautious of???