Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a used Road King - What years to be cautious of???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:22 AM
evil451
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
08's are a fantastic deal. ALL the same standard features and optiinal equipment available as 09 but the frame. Brembos, 6 gallon, ABS, electronic cruise, etc.
If you're like me I rode an 08 and an 09 and at the time it was a $2,000 difference in price because of all the frame hype. I put a $125 stabilizer on and she tracks better than the new frame bikes without stabilizers in my opinion.
That 2k bought a lot of gas!

Agreed,,, the 08's are bastard bikes but I love mine. All the new stuff from the 09 except the frame. ABS, cruise, etc..

I picked mine up for 11K out the door with 17k miles on it... prev owner had it nicely detailed and even upped it to the 103...

Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 AM
bikehunter
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a 2000 model road king carb model. Had cams changed to andrews and 95 ci along with gas flow heads and inlet manifold. As others have said, 99 to 2001 best cranks and better put together engines with very tight tolerances,as how much end float on a later machine .009" I'd expect. 2000 model .002", could easy have used geared cams. A must consideration if tuning. 102 torques at back wheel not the crank like the 103 ci claim.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Just a thought here.....8200+ posts and your question is which year Road King should I avoid?
A. This post is almost a year old

B. What is your point???

I only ever had a 2006 Road King prior to this. At the time I was considering something older. I am not an HD encyclopedia. I don't spend my time keeping track of every model year and issues with them.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:52 AM
bikehunter
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy fucc you addressing me? I thought there was a dog in here!!.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:47 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't be afraid of any particular TC year, 2002 and up. I always thought 2002 was a sweet spot, with forged crank/Timken left-side bearing, and first year of Delphi FI, etc. Think they had the 1" rear axle and updated swing-arm, too. The cam-chain tensioners (as stated, up through 2006) are the original spring-loaded style which seem to be problematic. But this can be addressed.

2009 seems like a good choice, too, since that gets you the updated frame. Judging by eBay BuyItNow prices, you can pick up a 2009 in the range of $12K.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
A. This post is almost a year old

B. What is your point???

I only ever had a 2006 Road King prior to this. At the time I was considering something older. I am not an HD encyclopedia. I don't spend my time keeping track of every model year and issues with them.

That newby got me good with his resurrection of your year old post. Don't know who was the dumber - him for replying to it, or me for not checking the original post date. DUH
That being said, I thought my point was clear as fresh mountain air.
Evidently not, so.....for the sake of conversation here goes: I would expect someone with a post count such as yours to be fairly well versed on several different model years of Road Kings and Electra Glides.
I own a '95 EGC, an '06 SG, and the wife's '07 Heritage and I read (and reply to) posts regarding to not only those bikes, but others all the way up to the new 2014's.
I simply thought you did too.
Was I wrong? Or do you only read and reply to posts concerning your '06 RK?
If that's the case an apology is in order and you have mine.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:47 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They all have issues doesn't matter what year it is, if the fixes for that year have not been done save some penny's for the rainy day and buy the bike you like the most don't worry about what may or may not break.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
That newby got me good with his resurrection of your year old post. Don't know who was the dumber - him for replying to it, or me for not checking the original post date. DUH
That being said, I thought my point was clear as fresh mountain air.
Evidently not, so.....for the sake of conversation here goes: I would expect someone with a post count such as yours to be fairly well versed on several different model years of Road Kings and Electra Glides.
I own a '95 EGC, an '06 SG, and the wife's '07 Heritage and I read (and reply to) posts regarding to not only those bikes, but others all the way up to the new 2014's.
I simply thought you did too.
Was I wrong? Or do you only read and reply to posts concerning your '06 RK?
If that's the case an apology is in order and you have mine.

I was actually out of riding from around 1998 to around 2005. When I was finally able to get back into it I got a 2006 in late 2005. So I really didn't bother with anything before. When I made this post I had just had to sell my 2013 RGU (the big D) and was looking to pay cash for an older model RK. That is why I was inquiring about the earlier years and any issues with them. Also because you hear or read about issues that don't affect you so you don't really keep them in mind for later.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Yeah that!

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
The following is why I shopped for an '07....

Cable operated throttle
96" motor (1st year upgraded cam chest)
6 spd tranny
5 gallon tank (much better looking)
Brembo brake refitable
IDS refitable
All reasons I believe the best pre-'09 touring year
Reasons I own one....Great year!!

Absolutely love my "new" 07 RK Police 103" bagger. Just got it with around 14K miles on it and only issues that needed immediate attention were the compensator changed to SE and primary chain adjuster to "Attitude Adjuster" by Baker. Also just replaced the rear tire as I've put 4K miles on it and rear wheel bearings were losing grease so replaced those too.