Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Issue on Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Issue on Road King

I got a new 2013 Road King and have been having a problem finding the right windshield. This is my 4th Road King (priors were '02, '03, '04) and I never had a problem finding a shield that worked well. On my previous RK's the stock height shield was just the right height allowing me to just see over the top like you should. With this new RK the top of the stock shield is right at my eye level and drives me crazy. However, with the fork mounted wind deflectors and the stock shield I get very little buffeting. I tried the short (16.5") Klockwerks Billboard Flare and it was too short. Buffeting around my head was bad. Didn't try the KW tall as it's only 5/8" shorter than the stock shield figuring it would be too high. I then ordered a 18" Long Ride Shield (actually 17.25" from cut out to the top of the shield). With my half helmet the buffeting is terrible. If I put my hand in front of my helmet the buffeting stops which would make me believe I need a taller shield. Thinking of trying a 18.5" Clearview with recurve or maybe the KW tall. Any one else dealing with this issue? Any help would be appreciated. Haven't had this problem in the past so wondering if it has to do with the newer frame and the way I sit on the bike.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a C&C solo seat and a 17'' Memphis Shades replacement shield. This set up works perfectly for me. The solo seat will sit you a little lower so you can get away with a lower windshield. I am 5'11''.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 PM
fz4k98
Intermediate

I have a 2011 and the windshield was too tall for me. After a lot of checking I figured since I was going to buy one anyway just try cutting the stock one. It worked great for me.

I do see a lot of wind coming up from the tank area right to the helmet area. It is an updraft and was there before and after I cut it down.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm just under 73" and use the 18" LRS. I find that it works pretty good but like you, I get a bit of buffeting hitting the top-most area of my helmet. I run those butt ugly fork deflectors, (work great), and a Kuryakyn ice cream scoop under the triple tree also. Like I said I think the LRS works pretty good but they have to re-design it and get it closer to the headlight, man, mine has a huge gap.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer

Not going to change the seat, especially to a solo seat. So that option is out.

I've thought about cutting down the stock shield to about 18.5" and see how that works.

I really don't like the LRS. Like Dene said, big gap between the cutout and the headlight, plus it is narrower than the stock shield.

I like the extra width of the Klockwerks, just wish they would make one between the short and tall.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM
JDJ66
Intermediate

Ever think of trimming down your stock windshield a inch or two? I just installed a +2 windshield on mine, cannot get over the look. Very strange.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lower fairings will stop your issue.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM
mhcruiser
Intermediate

I got the tall Klockwerks billboard which is a bit shorter than the stock. Huge difference and can sit up very straight and see well over it. That small difference is bigger than the numbers would indicate. Wind hits just at top of helmet now.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My stock 20in split my line of sight. Tried the 16in Klock Werks. Got wind in the eyes and ear buffeting. Loved the looks. Now have the wide 18in Cee Bailey. Buffeting is as bad as the KW and still getting too much wind in the eyes. May try the Clearview recurve next. I ride with a low/forward solo most of the time.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakotazeb
I got a new 2013 Road King and have been having a problem finding the right windshield. This is my 4th Road King (priors were '02, '03, '04) and I never had a problem finding a shield that worked well. On my previous RK's the stock height shield was just the right height allowing me to just see over the top like you should. With this new RK the top of the stock shield is right at my eye level and drives me crazy. However, with the fork mounted wind deflectors and the stock shield I get very little buffeting. I tried the short (16.5") Klockwerks Billboard Flare and it was too short. Buffeting around my head was bad. Didn't try the KW tall as it's only 5/8" shorter than the stock shield figuring it would be too high. I then ordered a 18" Long Ride Shield (actually 17.25" from cut out to the top of the shield). With my half helmet the buffeting is terrible. If I put my hand in front of my helmet the buffeting stops which would make me believe I need a taller shield. Thinking of trying a 18.5" Clearview with recurve or maybe the KW tall. Any one else dealing with this issue? Any help would be appreciated. Haven't had this problem in the past so wondering if it has to do with the newer frame and the way I sit on the bike.

I just brought my RK home and experience the same thing. I'm about 6'3" and the top of the windshield is right at eye level. If I artificially sit super straight, I can see over top of it, but then my head bounces around like a pin ball. I have a half helmet as well. I told my sales guy this isn't going to work, so I'll be curious to see what people recommend.

Quick Reply: Windshield Issue on Road King