Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does computer have to be remapped after headpipe change or cat removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Punisher0822
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does computer have to be remapped after headpipe change or cat removal?

Come to find out today, previous owner hadn't remapped the computer or anything after stage one and slip ons. So I had the dealer remap the computer while we waited. Before they did, I asked if it would have to be remapped again if I changed head pipes or removed cats. The service guy said that I wouldn't so I'm asking you guys? Also how hard is it to remove the cats from the factory pipe? Would it make the bike sound any better?

Last edited by Punisher0822; 07-27-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 PM
ninetyzero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it would if you changed the headers. But it really depends on what kind of mapping your having done. It may not make a difference. Little more detail may be beneficial.
Your mufflers will alter your sound much more.
You may not have a catalyst if a stage 1 is on your bike already. Since stage 1 generally involves putting a hiflow header sans catalyst.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM
dulley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to map unless you are getting a ping or the plugs are bright white , before I got the power duels I went to harbor freight and bought the 18inch cement drill bits ,removed the mufflers then drill them out starting with the small bit and worked up to the larger one . then started it and blew the stuff out ,it took about 30 minutes , and since then I have done 4 bikes

Last edited by dulley; 07-27-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:42 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Guessing the bike has a high flow air cleaner for full stage 1?Ya may not need to change much just removing the CAT but a performance headpipe will change the tune. Guessing the bike has a high flow air cleaner for full stage 1? If ya just got the stage 1 download I'd sure look at a flash tuner to get it right.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 PM
AB Productions
Novice

yes you will always benefit from a tune...

Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Punisher0822
Come to find out today, previous owner hadn't remapped the computer or anything after stage one and slip ons. So I had the dealer remap the computer while we waited. Before they did, I asked if it would have to be remapped again if I changed head pipes or removed cats. The service guy said that I wouldn't so I'm asking you guys? Also how hard is it to remove the cats from the factory pipe? Would it make the bike sound any better?
The re-map question has been asked and answered literally thousands of times.

Same thing with the dealer re-map and de-cat topics...again, those topics have been answered a few thousands times too.

Chances are the dealer did nothing except separate you from some of your money with the re-map.

Education is a powerful tool...it's too bad some many never learn that lesson.

Sorry to bust your chops but in the not-too-distant future, you'll most likely be one of the masses that start to have problems and will turn to those that don't know the answers either only have more problems. There is some good info here but much of it is complete BS...learn to tell the difference and you'll be way ahead of the game.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, if you want it to run properly.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:56 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You didnt say what kind of bike you have. Is the stage 1 complete? If its complete, it might have a catless pipe already on it, if not and its an 09+ touring, you can go on fleabay, get a gutted pipe shipped to your door for round 100 bucks, switch it out, google fl-xied, nightrider.com, then ride it. The only thing the dealer did with the remap is raise your rev limiter, it is still running lean because they have to stay within EPA regulations and crap. If you are unsure about your air cleaner being changed or not, take the air cleaner cover off, if the filter is totally encased with just a small hole for it to breath out of, it still has the stock ac assembly on it, you need to change that. You can get a big sucker stage 1 for a little over 100 from fleabay to.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Punisher0822
Tourer

Sorry, it's a 2011 SG w/103. It does have a stage one breather and slip-ons. The last time I posted about it not being tuned or re-mapped with the stage one and slip-ons, everyone talked about how I at least needed to get it remapped but now it seems like you guys are saying that was just a waste of $200 bucks if I'm following you right?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM
vegashd
Banned

If you did a header or decat with a stage one you'll need a download at least

Quick Reply: Does computer have to be remapped after headpipe change or cat removal?