Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud Tick, NOT lifters.....What else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default loud Tick, NOT lifters.....What else?

My 09 Ultra 96" motor, stock cams, began making a loud ticking noise, then would go away. After this happening a few times, sometimes after riding 5 minutes and lasting 20 miles, sometimes after riding 100 miles and lasting 3 miles, I finally decided to replace the lifters and pushrods. The very next day the noise was back after about 70 miles. It comes and goes and sounds just like a lifter tick, but LOUD. It's embarrassing when the bike next to you with their radio on can hear it. Anyway, it seems to be worse on deceleration, happens whether the clutch is in or not, follows the engine rpm's when reved up in neutral or the clutch pulled. The oil pressure gauge stays steady at 32 whether it makes the noise or not. I'm thinking it has to be something adjustable hydraulically to be able to come and go like it does. Anyone experience this noise? Should I be looking at primary tensioner? Cam tensioner? Do they make this type of noise when worn? I've tried to pinpoint where exactly it is coming from, even using the screwdriver to the ear method, but can not tell which side it is coming from. Any experience in this would be a big help. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked for an exhaust leak? Sometimes they will sound like a tick.

Last edited by my67pnycar; 07-28-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

I just went out and started the bike, quiet again of course, I took it for a ride and then put rags over the tailpipes to see if I could find an exhaust leak, but everything seems sealed.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 AM
gja
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

I had what sounds very similar to your noise. Went to the dealer looking for lifters. Service manager said lets check it out. He was ready to put a service ticket in and notice the exhaust bolt at the transmission mount was loose. Tightened it up and noise is now gone. YMMV

The following users liked this post:
hvacgaspiping (08-02-2019)
Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Take the top end apart to get to the lifters check the end play if its close to .020" then shimming them might stop what your'e hearing.
Its easy just take a feeler gauge kit and measure the gap between the rocker arm and the support plate if you decide to shim it up the min thickness is (check service manual).
J&P cycles has all the shims
Also check push rod rubbing against the tube when it gets hot.
Are the push rods you use adjustable?
What kind of oil are you using?

Copied from other posts^^^

Old 07-28-2013, 11:23 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm the pessimist, but wrist pin/rod small end?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is normal , just ask the dealer , really check exhaust clamps and heat shields , clamps are made to be used only one time , they can seem tight but still leak , I have one that needs to be replaced

Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Ya, I am with the guys who say it could be exhaust gasket or clamps. Check the easy stuff before you start tearing things down. And believe it or not a leaking exhaust header can sound just like a "ticking" noise. The faster the engine is turning the faster the leak sounds. It is rpm related.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Yup. My Dodge truck did the same thing. Was a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Sounded for all the world like a metalic ticking.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

To answer a few questions, When the noise started we believed it to be a lifter, I had the stock setup in there with close to 40,000 miles. When I replaced them, I cut the stock pushrods and installed the SE adjustable along with Competition Cams lifters. Exact noise came back the next day after 100 miles, just like it did before the lifters. So I'm convinced it's not the lifters or pushrods, since it did it with the old pushrods and tubes. If it were a wristpin or bearing, It should make the noise consistently, not come and go. It can rap for 10 miles, then quiet down instantly while maintaining speed and be gone for 5 minutes or the rest of the day. I was using Amsoil when the noise started, now I am using Mobile 1 V-Twin oil, just to try something different. I removed the primary cover to inspect the chain, adjuster, and compensator bolt. The compensator was replaced last year by the dealer. Everything looked fine and all the bolts are tight, as well as the chain.

I've checked every exhaust clamp for cracks, looseness, or appearances of a leak and the flange bolts at the head for tightness, but I'm not ruling out that it could be leaking somewhere. I have held rags over the tailpipes, but by doing this, I can't really get my head around to listen to the system by myself very well. And asking the wife to hold the rags.....well....you know where that's going. I was planning on removing the cam cover next, and since I need to remove the exhaust to do so, I will check that out and see if the gaskets look like that have leaked. I can check the pipe and make sure it hasn't cracked under the heat shield as well. If I can find a leak, then maybe time for new cams while I've got the exhaust system off?

I know an exhaust leak can sound like a tick, I just expected it would be louder accelerating if it where an exhaust leak. My noise goes away on acceleration and is loud on decal and no throttle.

Last edited by monkyman; 07-29-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply: loud Tick, NOT lifters.....What else?