Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike is in shop! - rattle in Primary or Tranmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike is in shop! - rattle in Primary or Tranmission

Dropped my bike off this morning. Stock 2010 EGC w/22000 miles. I've been hearing a faint "rattle" for some time now coming from the left side primary area while riding. Sounds as rythmic as a sewing machine - tick,tick,tick. However last night I figured out how to hear it better, and how to make it start and go away. Basically, whenever the bike is in gear with the clutch in or out, the bike makes the noise. When the clutch is in and in gear, you hear it alot better since the engine drops to idle while coasting. But, here's the kicker - while coasting if I put the bike in neutral - the noise goes completely away even with clutch in and clutch out! So, my noise doesn't sound like it's clutch/primary related - it seems to be completely dependent on whether the bike is in gear or not.

Who's got any ideas?

Old 08-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

bump up

Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM
foush56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a inner primary bearing!

Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

That's what one of my buddy's thought too, but only because he had heard that they have a history of failure. Where is this bearing exactly - behind the clutch pack?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:08 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes it's behind the clutch. The bearing is pressed into the inner primary case and the race is pressed on the main shaft coming out of the transmission. They are prone to go at about your mileage. Also, the main drive gear bearing in the transmission is a possibility.

Usually the problem is caused by the automatic primary chain tensioner. It has a tendency to ratchet too tight. It could be a good idea to replace the tensioner with either a Baker, or Hayden while they are in there.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Heavy D
Cruiser

Thanks for the info! I will ask about the chain tensioner. Sounds like if it is the main drive gear bearing that it could mean alot more work to get to that one. If it's the inner primary bearing, they probably won't have to go into the transmission???

Old 08-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts
Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Heavy D
Cruiser

If it is the inner primary bearing, or the main drive gear bearing, was anyone had issues with the shaft itself being damaged? In the post above, the chain tensioner is mentioned - is the SE tensioner better than the stock one? I'm not against an aftermarket one, but if the dealer had to order one I'm guessing it will take some time to arrive. I've already told them to install the SE Compensator and the SE clutch spring.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with the other posts that you're describing sounds like a classic inner primary bearing failure. If its not singing really loud I highly doubt you'll
have damage to anything else.
With these auto adjusters you really need to listen for the chain while revving in neutral once in awhile to make sure its not ratcheted up too tight.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

Bingo! Just got back from the shop, and it's the inner primary bearing. The only wear that I could see was on the teeth of the starter gear, so that must have been what was giving be the "tick,tick,tick" to the rhythm of a sewing machine. So, I'm waiting for my SE Compensator to arrive along with the SE clutch spring and I'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: Bike is in shop! - rattle in Primary or Tranmission