Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Arai helmet...WOW!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first Arai helmet...WOW!

So after getting sick of headaches from my Scorpion helmet, which seems more suited for a more round head shape, I went on the search for something that better fit my more oval head.

I wanted an open face helmet that still offered reasonable protection without the full face fit. I tried a Nolan N43 and loved the featuers, but it fit just like my Scorpion. Also it was a very noisy helmet because of the various features that make it so nice. The removable chin guard is great, but it does make for a helmet that creaks when you put any pressure anywhere on it. I never did ride with that helmet as I wanted to send it back after I just wore it around the house for a bit for fit. But within 10 minutes of wearing that helmet my forehead was sore, red and I could feel the tension of an improper fit.

I went looking online for reviews and got some great tips from Andrew at Revzilla and was directed towards HJC, Shoei and Arai after narrowing things down.

I was able to go try on the HJC 33 as well as some of the full faced Shoei and Arai helmets in a store nearby and after much debate I ordered the Arai XC open face helmet.

It came down to the Arai XC or the Shoei J-Cruise, but I opted for the Arai because the fit seemed more snug without being too tight in the full face models I tried. I also liked that the Arai XC was also SNELL 2010 certified where the J-Cruise was not.

But I was a little sticker shocked at dropping nearly $500 on a helmet. I had never spend more than $150 on a helmet before.

But now that I've ridden with the Arai XC all I can say is WOW! There tagline is "There's a difference" for a reason...it's true! I couldn't believe how nice the helmet felt. Not only does it fit my head like a glove while feeling nice and cushioned, it feels so light on my head and the field of view is huge. It's not that I forgot the helmet was on, but it really felt like I was wearing much less than a helmet I had on before, even as if it was less of a helmet feeling wise than a half helmet.

The funny thing is the Arai XC has over an inch of extra cheek/chin coverage on the sides than the average full face helmet so it's actually more helmet than your normal open face. But it doesn't feel like it because of how well the helmet is made and how comfortable it is.

The other great thing is there is virtually no noise to this helmet while riding. I rode with the face shield off using sunglasses instead, which I prefer for summer riding. There was no wind noise through the helmet, as I've experienced in all other helmets. No whistling sound at certain speeds or angles. It was silent.

And my head never felt warm or sweaty. Those vents built in must really help. I do have a windshield so I know that restricts the vents some, but when I got home my head was dry and cozy.

No more read forehead when getting home and no headache.

I love this helmet and the $500 it cost is nothing next to the satisfaction of having a helmet that feels secure and safe without the aches and pains. I only wish I had bought such a quality helmet from day 1 and never bothered with the 2 or 3 helmets I went through before this in the last few years.

IF any of you has ever considered spending the money on an expensive helmet like an Arai or a Shoei, but you just couldn't bring yourself to justify the cost ... you really should give them a try.

I'd have a hard time going back at this point.

The only problem is now I'm going to want to replace my Fulmer full face with an Arai full face for winter and highway riding!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice skid lid.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a nice looking helmet. I have several including a Shoei. There probably won't be a lot of interest in your thread because I get the feeling that most people here do not wear helmets.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 63 Likes on 14 Posts

I raced with Arai's for a dozen years (I'm wearing one in my avatar). Wouldn't race with anything else.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a new Arai last spring, I really like it. They surly are more money but you get what you pay for. The helmet it replaced was a Bell.

Cheers,
Paul in Colorado

Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between my daughters helmet (Arai) and her neck brace (Leatt) I have over $800 spent.

I also have an Arai 3/4 for the road bike.

I was shopping for a helmet years ago and the salesman said, "whats your head worth"?!

The following users liked this post:
Rick48 (04-14-2018)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 PM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

An Arai RX7 (full-face) saved my but last September when I slid on my head over the Idaho/Montana boarder. I replaced it with another and wouldn't ride without it. The ventilation and weight make it very comfortable.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM
jamm5266
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What he said ^^^^^^

I have 2 Arai helmet, for on and offroad. Haven't found anything else that will fit my huge oval noggin'.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 PM
JerryS63
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a xxxl and they are one of the few that fit. I have a full face signet s and 3/4 classic R. Yes old helmets but still better than a lot of the new stuff in other brands. Wish Arai still made a 3 snap style 3/4. I like the old school look with the visor.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a couple of Arai full face helmets (current one is a Profile) but wear a 3/4 when riding two up for better communication with wifie. I just replaced my trusty open face Bell Mag 8 with face shield and visor with an Arai CT-Z with face shield and visor. The comfort, ventilation and relative quiet of the Arai are far superior compared to the Bell. There seems to be a channel for eyeglass temples so they don't press on the side of my head but it doesn't create noise. I don't get any lifting from the visor that I got sometimes in cross winds and behind semis with the Bell. I like the design of the Arai with the extended cheek protection but I can't wear the helmet and chew gum at the same time! The Arais are pricey but they are worth it for the protection, comfort, attention to detail and fit and finish.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first Arai helmet...WOW!