Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 streetglide electrial problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM
ironfist_001
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 streetglide electrial problems

hi folks, I blew a cig lighter fuse on a trip(held it in too long I guess)replaced fuse, works fine now...so I thought id add some dielectric grease, to the other fuses, and I had the faring off so I pulled each connection, and did the same to them, buttoned everthing back up ,to my surpise, it wouldn't start, no fuel pump noise, and was getting a p1003 code. i cleared that code, now i turn ignition on, speedo mileage flickers and you will here ticking under the battery, no way to check for codes now! help!! I have looked for pinched wires, and puled the connections apart to dbl check them, all seem ok, could that relay code (P1003 System relay contacts open)be bleeding back power through the system

Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like you may have fried your "System Relay". Some have diodes in them which can fry if reverse polarity. Or you may have inadvertently shorted out something that screwed the contacts. You can check it by swapping the System Relay #22 with your Starter Relay #6 in the fusebox. Sometimes when you unplug the relay the contacts reset. When you plug #6 into #22 in fuse panel, turn on the ignition and you should hear the fuel pump start up. Make sure your "Run" switch on handle bar is turned on. As a matter of fact did you check that the switch is on when you started having your problem?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 AM
ironfist_001
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im happy to report back, that I pulled all the fuses, cleaned off any extra dielectric grease, disconnected battrey and ecm... reassemebled and bam everything is back to normal. I did switch the two fuses you talked about. not sure witch one is where now lol. I also didn't notice last night that my security system wouldn't arm either, but that works now . is it possible that too much grease shorted out some connection?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 AM
jtolbirt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about this dielectric grease,, if it was all it is cracked up to be i believe the factory would use it,, i have used it before on my race cars and had the same issues you experianced.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

As soon as I saw the original post, I was going to say too much grease. Don't ask how I would know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease

Last edited by valvestem; 08-07-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:59 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jtolbirt
about this dielectric grease,, if it was all it is cracked up to be i believe the factory would use it,, i have used it before on my race cars and had the same issues you experianced.
dielectric grease is exactly what it's cracked up to be WHEN used properly. AND the moco does in fact use it on any connectors that are prone to be in an area where water will penetrate and cause electrical issues. If you want to verify that, pull the tail light lens off and unplug any of those connectors in there. They all have a "dab" of white dielectric grease in them from the factory. Also when servicing certain areas of your bike by way of the HD Service Manual, it also tells you to put dieletric grease in the fittings as well as some HD electrical accessory installation instructions tell you the same thing.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 08-07-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:02 AM
tjenkins725
Intermediate

Don't make the mistake of putting it on the connection to the O2 sensor or injectors. You will have problems there. You can always do a simple test on the relay(s) if you believe it to be a problem. Take off the Fuse box cover. Put your finger on the relay and turn on the ignition and run switch or brake light. You will feel it click. I use a very small amount of the dielectric grease on all of my fuses and relays. Seems to work well for the purpose it was made for.