Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short and want a touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 PM
mtstringer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short and want a touring bike

Hi all,

I was hoping that maybe I could find someone who has lowered a Street Glide or Electra Glide Ultra Classic to a seat height of about 25". I currently ride a Softail Deluxe with a reach seat and am able to sit flat footed. I love the bike but when I ride 2up with the Mrs she ends up with a sore back.

Today I tried a street glide that had a reach seat and lowered forks but it is still about an inch too tall. The dealer said the sell after market shocks that will possibly lower it another 1.5" but they said it could greatly effect the ride.

I was hoping that someone in the New England area may have really lower their bike and I could get some ideas. These New England roads are killer on someone with a bad back.

Thanks ahead of time.
Mt

Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 PM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Good luck with your effort. The touring frames are wide in the seat pan. You may want to look at the 08 frame & earlier models as they seem to be not as tall as the 09 & later bikes.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer

Just get it lowered for a few bills...

Last edited by Shovelhed; 08-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer

And welcome...

Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm 5'5" and ride a 2006 Road Glide. Get what you want and make it fit. Seats can be narrowed and lowered. Suspensions can be lowered without completely sacrificing ride quality. And the whole "flat footed stop" is over-rated. I can't when I'm solo, but I can with the wife on back. Get comfortable with the bike and you'll find you need a lot less foot.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Jennz
Cruiser

Im 5'1 with a 29 inch inseam and ride a '13 street glide. I had it lowered front and back 2 inches, and have the super reduced reach 2 up seat....i can pretty much flat foot...i would like to have a bit more give in my legs, but just accept that I'm vertically challenged and deal with it, LOL....I really wanted a super reduced reach solo seat like I had with my heritage, but they don't make the solo for the street glide. the seat is pretty comfy...go to the dealer, have them use the "simulator pads that make the bike appear 2 inches lower, and have them put the super reduce reach seat on. you won't believe the difference!!! The ride is great....I actually know a guy who works at the local harley that lowered his street glide after he saw mine...he isn't as short as me, but said he can't believe how much easier it is to control the bike....

Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 PM
FloridaHarleyRider
Cruiser

I'm a 29" inseam and lowered my 2013 RK with a $30 lowering kit off Ebay. Lowered my bike by about 1 1/2 " no problem and it corners better than my 2002 Fboy.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Kennypatterson
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a 29" - 30" inseam and have a 2012 Street Glide, lowered the rear 1" with blocks from ebay and had the super narrow mod done to the seat from Mean City Cycles. Fits perfectly.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Bagger Werx makes a seat drop kit that fits touring bikes from '08 through '13. I have never used it (my inseam is 32" and can flat foot on a '13 SG with stock seat and suspension). This kit allows you to use standard shocks on the bike hence you get standard ground clearance. There are also 4 very detailed YouTube videos that show you how to install it. The videos will give you an idea of what is involved.

Biker Werx: http://www.baggerwerx.com/product_in...roducts_id=320

YouTube videos:

Drop Kit Install Guide: 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide (Part One):

Drop Kit Install Guide: 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide (Part Two):

Drop Kit Install Guide: 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide (Part Three):

Drop Kit Install Guide: 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide (Part Four):

Hopefully this helps.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:38 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennypatterson
I'm a 29" - 30" inseam and have a 2012 Street Glide, lowered the rear 1" with blocks from ebay and had the super narrow mod done to the seat from Mean City Cycles. Fits perfectly.
how do you like the mods mean city cycle did for you? i am thinking about the super narrow mod for my 12 streetglide.

Quick Reply: Short and want a touring bike