Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to add street glide rear facia and removing saddle bag guards

Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Want to add street glide rear facia and removing saddle bag guards

I'm looking to add the street glide style rear facia to my ultra to fill the gap between the saddlebags and rear fender. In doing so I'll be removing the saddle bag guards and getting the brackets that are used on the limited. I will also be adding the 4 point QD docking hardware so that I can remove my tour pack as I wish. So I'll need the ones that have the hole for the radio antenna. I don't use nor do I have a CB so I don't need the hole present for that one.

For those that have done this mod, anyone have any pointers or a complete parts list?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:56 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd suggest just buying a used SG rear fender your color. i got '10 SG fender on mine but if you want to retain taillight look for '09 SG fender it's plug & play. I got my rear fender for $150 which is cheap but I see them often In 300-400 range. You'll then need some SG fender struts and 4 point docking kit. The SG fascia has 2 plug holes left & right for antenna mounts on saddlebag brackets.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:29 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by acchd
I'd suggest just buying a used SG rear fender your color. i got '10 SG fender on mine but if you want to retain taillight look for '09 SG fender it's plug & play. I got my rear fender for $150 which is cheap but I see them often In 300-400 range. You'll then need some SG fender struts and 4 point docking kit. The SG fascia has 2 plug holes left & right for antenna mounts on saddlebag brackets.
Haven't decided if I want to retain the tail light...guess I better figure that out...

Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

I have been looking at rear fender and stretched bag options. At least in my searches, Bad Dad seems like a pretty good option. Very few hate filled responses about them.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well you don't have to keep the tail light if you don't want really. you can get custom dynamics plasma rods with the deal to make them turn signals as well and go with that. I used the 8 inch rods as a filler between my facia and bags and its worked fine. I didn't buy the turn signal deal though.

plus I might be wrong but.. your going to have to also invest in new saddle bag supports. if you remove the crash bars your gonna need all new supports for a sg. because on a sg the saddlebag supports bolt to the facia. im not looking at a manual right now but if an ultra don't have that fasia I don't think its gonna work correctly for the saddle bag supports. I could be worng. with that said I think the radio antenna may set differently on a sg then and ultra as well so you could just go with the internal fairing antenna.

just food for thought id look into some more of this stuff. just changing stuff isn't always that easy.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 PM
jaymiller5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went the CVO route instead.. by the time I swapped out the tail light, paint, facia and bag guards.. well why not do it right? Figure the facia is $200, light is $200 and I would have needed paint the facia, and that will depend on your color for price really as well as time without riding, if you cannot get a used one off here or ebay. It was going to be another $200 for that and it would not have looked right given the lower fender holes/bolts that the facia was not going to cover since it goes under the fender instead of over it. Oh and I did not swap out the bag guards I swapped out the front crash guard instead.

But that is just me.

Attached Thumbnails Want to add street glide rear facia and removing saddle bag guards-img_20130703_194237.jpg   Want to add street glide rear facia and removing saddle bag guards-img_20120731_190528.jpg  

Last edited by jaymiller5; 08-10-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by jaymiller5
I went the CVO route instead.. by the time I swapped out the tail light, paint, facia and bag guards.. well why not do it right? Figure the facia is $200, light is $200 and I would have needed paint that will depend on your color if you cannot get a used one off here or ebay was going to be another $200 and would not have looked right given the lower fender holes/bolts that the facia was not going to cover since it goes under the fender instead of over it. Oh and I did not swap out the bag guards I swapped out the front crash guard instead.

But that is just me.
That's pretty much exactly what I want to do. What did that entail? You just ordered the kit from the dealer?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MontyCop05
That's pretty much exactly what I want to do. What did that entail? You just ordered the kit from the dealer?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-fender-system

Old 08-10-2013, 09:54 PM
jaymiller5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MontyCop05

Yes, I bought the HD CVO fender Kit from the HD dealer and then Yaffe' license place bracket for a more custom look. I paid $350 for the strut covers, facia and fender to all get painted to match too because the painter was able to match and then just spray all parts at the same time instead of a one off. I actually put lid speakers on the bike as well but they are not in the picture because I have not taken a picture of that yet since I just put them on today.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Nice, but on Jaymillers I don't see the same license plate mount/light. You use a contoured plate mount?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to add street glide rear facia and removing saddle bag guards