Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane or Ethenol

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Octane or Ethenol

i try to always run the higher octane gas in my bike and w/o ethenol. the problem im running into lately around here is the stations have the following 3 option
1) 87 octane w/o ethenol
2) 89 octane w ethenol
3) 91 or 93 (depends on station) w/ ethenol.

i try to get it where 91 or 93 w/o is an option but cant always

what your guys opinion here? is it better to have lower octane to keep from having ethenol or run ethenol so i can have the higher octane?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM
edpnjax
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what the manufacturer suggests, they built it and warranty it. If you don't want to read it, 91 Octane (or better) and 10% or less Ethanol. Also remember, you are running an Air/Oil/Fuel cooled engine, all 3 of those figure into your engines cooling ability. The lower the Octane rating, the more likely it is to pre-detonate in high heat (aka, an air cooled engine) and that can cause engine damage.

Straight from the Owners Manual...

Gasoline Blends

Your motorcycle was designed to get the best performance and efficiency using unleaded gasoline. Most gasoline is blended with alcohol and/or ether to create oxygenated blends. The type and amount of alcohol or ether added to the fuel is important.

Do not use gasoline that contains methanol. Doing so can result in fuel system component failure, engine damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00148a)

Gasoline containing METHYL TERTIARY BUTYL ETHER (MTBE): Gasoline/MTBE blends are a mixture of gasoline and as much as 15% MTBE. Gasoline/MTBE blends can be used in your motorcycle.

ETHANOL fuel is a mixture of ethanol (Grain alcohol) and unleaded gasoline. While ethanol does have an impact on fuel mileage, fuels with an ethanol content of up to 10% may be used in your motorcycle without affecting vehicle performance. U.S. EPA regulations currently indicate that fuels with 15% ethanol (E15) are restricted from use in motorcycles at the time of this publication. Motorcycles delivered in some countries are calibrated to operate with higher ethanol concentrations to meet the fuel standards in those countries.

REFORMULATED OR OXYGENATED GASOLINES (RFG): Reformulated gasoline is a term used to describe gasoline blends that are specifically designed to burn cleaner than other types of gasoline, leaving fewer tailpipe emissions. They are also formulated to evaporate less when you are filling your tank. Reformulated gasolines use additives to oxygenate the gas. Your motorcycle will run normally using this type of gas and Harley-Davidson recommends you use it when possible, as an aid to cleaner air in our environment.

Do not use race gas. Use of these fuels will damage the fuel system.

Harley-Davidson recommends using SCREAMIN' EAGLE SUPER OCTANE BOOST to raise fuel octane. This is the only octane booster that has been extensively tested and approved for use with Harley-Davidson engines and components.

Some gasoline blends might adversely affect the starting, driveability or fuel efficiency of the motorcycle. If any of these problems are experienced, try a different brand of gasoline or gasoline with a higher octane blend.

Fuel

Always use a good quality unleaded gasoline. Octane ratings are usually found on the pump. Refer to Octane Ratings.

Avoid spills. Slowly remove filler cap. Do not fill above bottom of filler neck insert, leaving air space for fuel expansion. Secure filler cap after refueling. Gasoline is extremely flammable and highly explosive, which could result in death or serious injury. (00028a)

Use care when refueling. Pressurized air in fuel tank can force gasoline to escape through filler tube. Gasoline is extremely flammable and highly explosive, which could result in death or serious injury. (00029a)

Modern service station pumps dispense a high flow of gasoline into a motorcycle fuel tank making air entrapment and pressurization a possibility.

Octane Ratings

SPECIFICATION RATING

Pump Octane (R+M)/2

91 (95 RON)

Last edited by edpnjax; 08-16-2013 at 10:36 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by edpnjax:
eighteight (03-13-2020), smitty901 (03-13-2020), Tbonetone (05-12-2016)
Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

BAM...the answer!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:19 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edpnjax
...... 91 Octane (or better) and 10% or less Ethanol.

What He Said. /\ /\ /\

Last edited by FXDWG12; 08-16-2013 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (03-13-2020)
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Python357
Road Warrior
Received 1,584 Likes on 647 Posts

I agree with the above posts with one exception, the last couple tanks in the fall I would try to fill it with ethanol free gas due to the short shelf life of ethanol. Then if you cant get higher octane add an octane booster and seafoam to the last couple tanks before parking it (unless you have the luxury of riding year round like some of the folks down south)

Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM
edpnjax
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Python357
I agree with the above posts with one exception, the last couple tanks in the fall I would try to fill it with ethanol free gas due to the short shelf life of ethanol. Then if you cant get higher octane add an octane booster and seafoam to the last couple tanks before parking it (unless you have the luxury of riding year round like some of the folks down south)
Totally agree. I live in FL, so that's not a big problem for me, but if I'm not going to ride a bike for a period of time, I do use Seafoam for short term storage because of the fact that Ethanol is a problem when stored for long periods..

Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by edpnjax
Do what the manufacturer suggests, they built it and warranty it. If you don't want to read it, 91 Octane (or better) and 10% or less Ethanol. Also remember, you are running an Air/Oil/Fuel cooled engine, all 3 of those figure into your engines cooling ability. The lower the Octane rating, the more likely it is to pre-detonate in high heat (aka, an air cooled engine) and that can cause engine damage.

Gasoline Blends

Your motorcycle was designed to get the best performance and efficiency using unleaded gasoline. Most gasoline is blended with alcohol and/or ether to create oxygenated blends. The type and amount of alcohol or ether added to the fuel is important.

Do not use gasoline that contains methanol. Doing so can result in fuel system component failure, engine damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00148a)

Gasoline containing METHYL TERTIARY BUTYL ETHER (MTBE): Gasoline/MTBE blends are a mixture of gasoline and as much as 15% MTBE. Gasoline/MTBE blends can be used in your motorcycle.

ETHANOL fuel is a mixture of ethanol (Grain alcohol) and unleaded gasoline. While ethanol does have an impact on fuel mileage, fuels with an ethanol content of up to 10% may be used in your motorcycle without affecting vehicle performance. U.S. EPA regulations currently indicate that fuels with 15% ethanol (E15) are restricted from use in motorcycles at the time of this publication. Motorcycles delivered in some countries are calibrated to operate with higher ethanol concentrations to meet the fuel standards in those countries.

REFORMULATED OR OXYGENATED GASOLINES (RFG): Reformulated gasoline is a term used to describe gasoline blends that are specifically designed to burn cleaner than other types of gasoline, leaving fewer tailpipe emissions. They are also formulated to evaporate less when you are filling your tank. Reformulated gasolines use additives to oxygenate the gas. Your motorcycle will run normally using this type of gas and Harley-Davidson recommends you use it when possible, as an aid to cleaner air in our environment.

Do not use race gas. Use of these fuels will damage the fuel system.

Harley-Davidson recommends using SCREAMIN' EAGLE SUPER OCTANE BOOST to raise fuel octane. This is the only octane booster that has been extensively tested and approved for use with Harley-Davidson engines and components.

Some gasoline blends might adversely affect the starting, driveability or fuel efficiency of the motorcycle. If any of these problems are experienced, try a different brand of gasoline or gasoline with a higher octane blend.

Fuel

Always use a good quality unleaded gasoline. Octane ratings are usually found on the pump. Refer to Octane Ratings.

Avoid spills. Slowly remove filler cap. Do not fill above bottom of filler neck insert, leaving air space for fuel expansion. Secure filler cap after refueling. Gasoline is extremely flammable and highly explosive, which could result in death or serious injury. (00028a)

Use care when refueling. Pressurized air in fuel tank can force gasoline to escape through filler tube. Gasoline is extremely flammable and highly explosive, which could result in death or serious injury. (00029a)

Modern service station pumps dispense a high flow of gasoline into a motorcycle fuel tank making air entrapment and pressurization a possibility.

Octane Ratings

SPECIFICATION RATING

Pump Octane (R+M)/2

91 (95 RON)

Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Python357
I agree with the above posts with one exception, the last couple tanks in the fall I would try to fill it with ethanol free gas due to the short shelf life of ethanol.
As long as automotive fuel is stored properly in an enclosed container like an airtight fuel tank, it will maintain its usability indefinitely regardless of the ethanol content. Evaporation and exposure to air is what causes fuel to degrade. Not how long it is stored. Unlike carbureted engines, most EFI systems are sealed from exposure to air.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

To the OP: Go with the premium, octane trumps the other choices.
FWIW - I started adding Seafoam, 1 oz. to the gallon, to the King's fuel when the rides get cold and not as frequent. I also use it in all my small engines that may not get started often.
Couple of years ago, I bought a 4 stroke weed eater. The dealer told me ethanol fuel does cause problems in them over the winter, and the need to put Seafoam in it if it sits for very long.
Pressure washer gets it too.
Honda has a fuel advisory on ethanol I read once, search the web, it's out there...

Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM
waltz4
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Stabilizer

FWIW, I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel stabilizer for over 35 years. No problems with fuel or components. I keep a bottle in the right saddle bag of my '02 RK and pour in one ounce or so every fillup. Quick and easy, cost effective way to keep the fuel system clean. The stuff has been around since 1923 and has a credible history. Smells nice too !
I run the 100% gasoline as often as possible.

Quick Reply: Octane or Ethenol