Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Infotainment gps - pathetic

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 AM
eqcons
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Hey-HERE'S AN IDEA! How about a map & the stars to guide you?
Yeah? Have you any idea how much a MoCo branded sextant would cost? :-)

Old 03-29-2014, 09:52 AM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eqcons
Yeah? Have you any idea how much a MoCo branded sextant would cost? :-)
Or how it's possible to ride AND have 9,500 posts.....

Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Fishnqueen214
Intermediate
Default Zumo 665 and New Infosystem

I would like to let people know that if you have the right installation instructions you can get the Garmin Zumo 665 and the Navi system on the '14 Limited to both work! Mine does! My husband and I both plan routes and use way more way points than 9. I'm not sure what Harley was thinking (or not).

Valley Forge Harley Davidson Mounted my Garmin with the instructions below, that a friend was able to locate and with the Auxillary cable it works just fine - including the Satellite radio on the Garmin. Everything on the Infotainment system is working fine and the Garmin is playing through my speakers.

I had both GPS systems giving me directions - so it can be done.

Here is the Harley part number for the cable that allows connecting a Zumo as an auxiliary audio input
device to a 2014 Infotainment system, 69200610. It is called an "Audio Jack Jumper" and lists for $38.67. One end plugs into the back of the Infotainment system and the other end has a 3.5 mm plug that will plug into the jack on the end of the Zumo harness. It will provide full interrupt capability of the radio on both the 4.3 and 6.5 inch Infotainment systems when navigation prompts are announced.

After the Audio Jack Jumper is installed, it needs to enabled using the Digital Tech. There will be an option available to do this.

It is not known if it will accept any audio input signal or not. It might operate the same way that the old Navigation Interface Module operates. Namely, the NIM will only work with a Road Tech branded Zumo 665 or a Road Tech branded Zumo 660 with firmware upgrades.

Last edited by Fishnqueen214; 05-21-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

If you have a Garmin and a new '14 Harley send me a message and I'll send you the instructions. Valley Forge Harley Davidson Mounted my Garmin with the instructions that a friend was able to locate and with a $25 Auxillary cable it works just fine - including the Satellite radio on the Garmin. Everything on the Infosystem is working fine and the Garmin is playing through my speakers.
how about posting the instructions here for all of us?

subscribed

Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Message sent fishnqueen

Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 PM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by oakmossy
how about posting the instructions here for all of us?
Turns out it's very simple but counter-intuitive - I had mine done this morning. For the record, I have a Garmin-badged zumo 665 mounted to my handlebars, not a Harley-badged (but Garmin) RoadTech zumo 665.

With the Audio Jack Jumper installed (P/N 69200610), your tech will hook up the Digital Tech to set some parameters. The zumo will be set up as an AUX input under the Media tab, and audio will play through the system when MEDIA/AUX is selected. If any other audio source is chosen (Tuner/ipod/whatever), the Garmin zumo's navigation announcements will not interrupt or be heard.

DT will also ask your tech to choose Internal gps or External gps. It seemed logical to choose External because he was mounting my external gps on the bars. Turns out that disables the internal gps and all you see if you select Navi is a compass rose.

If the tech chooses Internal gps, it leaves the internal gps operational and, if you choose your zumo on Media/Aux, you will hear navigational announcements from both gps's.

Remember, the 6.5 is treating your external gps as a simple audio source.

The DT will also give your tech a choice on Tone Interrupt - that is a feature ONLY available when using a Harley-badged RoadTech zumo. The tone interrupt signal is sent by the external gps at the beginning of every navigational announcement and WILL INTERRUPT any other audio source playing at the moment. Why Garmin built this feature into the units it badged for H-D and not for its own is a mystery....

Old 05-22-2014, 06:31 PM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great informative thread, thanks OP, I'm sure a lot of us didn't know this info.......... the bike has a built in gps why not know everything about it.......... keep the info coming.......

Old 05-23-2014, 06:09 AM
eqcons
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ks6c
Turns out it's very simple but counter-intuitive - I had mine done this morning. For the record, I have a Garmin-badged zumo 665 mounted to my handlebars, not a Harley-badged (but Garmin) RoadTech zumo 665.

With the Audio Jack Jumper installed (P/N 69200610), your tech will hook up the Digital Tech to set some parameters. The zumo will be set up as an AUX input under the Media tab, and audio will play through the system when MEDIA/AUX is selected. If any other audio source is chosen (Tuner/ipod/whatever), the Garmin zumo's navigation announcements will not interrupt or be heard.

DT will also ask your tech to choose Internal gps or External gps. It seemed logical to choose External because he was mounting my external gps on the bars. Turns out that disables the internal gps and all you see if you select Navi is a compass rose.

If the tech chooses Internal gps, it leaves the internal gps operational and, if you choose your zumo on Media/Aux, you will hear navigational announcements from both gps's.

Remember, the 6.5 is treating your external gps as a simple audio source.

The DT will also give your tech a choice on Tone Interrupt - that is a feature ONLY available when using a Harley-badged RoadTech zumo. The tone interrupt signal is sent by the external gps at the beginning of every navigational announcement and WILL INTERRUPT any other audio source playing at the moment. Why Garmin built this feature into the units it badged for H-D and not for its own is a mystery....

Thanks Dan, excellent post - all the info I wanted to know! (And not good news re the tone interrupt.)

Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 PM
ks6c
Tourer

Thank you, Jim. I'm on a 14,xxx mile trip from Denver to Key West, then Lubec, Maine followed by Homer, Alaska - running the 6.5 gps side by side with the garmin zumo 665.

I get more disappointed by the mile... Full report when I get home (or get bored some evening on the road).

Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 PM
blkrkg11
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

So I just spent an entire weekend driving from Atlanta GA to Lexington KY on my 2014 with the 6.5 and had no issues. I used the GPS to get me to 9 different distilleries between Lexinton and Louisville. It worked without issue and I'm pleased with how it performed.

Quick Reply: 2014 Infotainment gps - pathetic