Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Infotainment gps - pathetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
My phone screen is bigger than most GPS screens! And, the GPS doesn't increase what I'm already paying.
But you're still paying a monthly fee. I'm not.

How big is your screen? I don't see very many small GPS screens - especially for motorcycles.
Is your cell hooked up to the audio of the H-D speakers? If so then you really don't need a large screen. I very seldom look at the screen. I mainly listen to the verbal directions.
The one thing I like about your setup that I don't have on mine is weather radar.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:44 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER

But you're still paying a monthly fee. I'm not.
Oh, no doubt. If you don't already have cell phone service, then it doesn't make sense to get it just for the GPS capability. You're absolutely right about that.

How big is your screen? I don't see very many small GPS screens - especially for motorcycles.
5.5 inches!

Is your cell hooked up to the audio of the H-D speakers? If so then you really don't need a large screen. I very seldom look at the screen. I mainly listen to the verbal directions.
It can be! If the speakers have Bluetooth capabilities, or an aux input, you can do it. When I pair my phone to my truck's audio via Bluetooth, the directions come right through the speakers. I don't have speakers on my bike, though.

The one thing I like about your setup that I don't have on mine is weather radar.
That weather radar can really come in handy.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:10 PM
ULTRARIDER38
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile new part number available

Originally Posted by ks6c
Turns out it's very simple but counter-intuitive - I had mine done this morning. For the record, I have a Garmin-badged zumo 665 mounted to my handlebars, not a Harley-badged (but Garmin) RoadTech zumo 665.

With the Audio Jack Jumper installed (P/N 69200610), your tech will hook up the Digital Tech to set some parameters. The zumo will be set up as an AUX input under the Media tab, and audio will play through the system when MEDIA/AUX is selected. If any other audio source is chosen (Tuner/ipod/whatever), the Garmin zumo's navigation announcements will not interrupt or be heard.

DT will also ask your tech to choose Internal gps or External gps. It seemed logical to choose External because he was mounting my external gps on the bars. Turns out that disables the internal gps and all you see if you select Navi is a compass rose.

If the tech chooses Internal gps, it leaves the internal gps operational and, if you choose your zumo on Media/Aux, you will hear navigational announcements from both gps's.

Remember, the 6.5 is treating your external gps as a simple audio source.

The DT will also give your tech a choice on Tone Interrupt - that is a feature ONLY available when using a Harley-badged RoadTech zumo. The tone interrupt signal is sent by the external gps at the beginning of every navigational announcement and WILL INTERRUPT any other audio source playing at the moment. Why Garmin built this feature into the units it badged for H-D and not for its own is a mystery....

I'm chasing this solution myself. I have a 2014 limited. The HD website now lists part number 69200907 which looks very similar to the one shown. I have purchased the new part and have installed it. I'll be visiting my local HD shop for the settings update. Just a note. the instructions on the new part say to just plug the molex connector to the 'gray 12 way molex audio connector above the radio. by looking at my bike there is an additional unused connector on top of radio. So there should be no reason to remove the pins from one connector to be used in the existing used connector as I've read in other threads in this forum. I simply plugged the new part I've bought to the spare molex connector. Will see how smooth things go once I visit my HD dealer for them to change the bike settings with the digital tech tool.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:51 AM
ks6c
Tourer

Welcome to the forum, UltraRider - and thanks for adding to the information pool!

Old 09-10-2014, 06:59 AM
eqcons
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTRARIDER38
The HD website now lists part number 69200907 which looks very similar to the one shown.
That one has a male jack, rather than a female.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:30 PM
ULTRARIDER38
Stage III
Default another one done.

fyi - I'm here to report that my 6.5 infotainment now has auxiliary input 3.5 active. as others have reported this is possible now. in my earlier post I indicated that Harley now has part number 69200907 (in addition perhaps to 69200610). The part instructions indicate that it should just be a plug and play. I plugged it in, went to dealer expecting them to just turn the settings being discussed an be on my merry way. Well, not so simple. It is a plug an play part, there is a spare molex connector available, and the instructions say to just plug it there. took me 3 trips to the shop for them to get settings just right (while they had the bike there all along). but even when the settings were just right, you can barely hear the sound coming through. While at the shop, I thought things were not even working. Once I got home I realized that sound was coming through. took fairing off again, did the modifications suggested. took the 3 pins from the new part molex connector into the original used molex connector and there ya go..... sound clear as day. so not sure who is wrong and why HD's instructions say to do it one way, but for me at least that did not work. as a side note, if you are going to attempt this, do a youtube search on how to remove the pins on the molex connections, it's pretty easy really once you know how to do it once. YouTube did wonders for me in this area. another thing, the instructions have 3 options for the aux input, 1) Audio only, 2) tone detection only and 3) both audio AND Tone detection. when the tech pulled up that screen on the DT software, he only had two options. 1) interrupt tone detection only and 2) interrupt tone detect and add device to mode list. so there again, not sure why the discrepancy, outdated something somewhere. Anyway, all is good now and I'm glad things are working. My CB, Radio, and HD's gps all interrupt the music and instructions and music coming from my Garmin. I should also point out that I have a 'Nuvi' Garmin, a car garmin, it's not even a motorcycle garmin. But I had it on my old bike and worked great, and now I intend to use in this new bike. My use will be for long routes that require multiple waypoints (more than the 9 limit on HD's version). I agree for some things the HD model will do just fine, but for me, I like having options. You decide what you want to do with yours. Hope this helps somebody else. This thread did help me a lot. even though I still had to visit my shop several times, it was worth it. Eventually moco will get it right and we might not need this work around. Until then, I'm good with this setup. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I'm paying it forward.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:40 PM
ULTRARIDER38
Stage III
Default One more point

I will also say that I don't blame the techs at all for the trouble. they are learning as they go on some of this stuff. It does take a little willingness on everybody's part to put in the time to get this stuff figured out. Like I said, even with all the info I had and took to them, it still took them and me some work to get it just right. I don't particularly like that I have to depend on the shop to change some of these settings, but that's another topic....

Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 PM
bmugharley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ks6c
My '10 Ultra Limited is sitting right at 100k, so I went into my dealership Tuesday with the full intention of trading on a 2014 (love the charcoal grey pearl over black color scheme!), but I've put that on hold because the new built-in gps has some terribly serious limitations and can't be used for any serious trip planning - and Harley has designed out any capability of routing the audio of a 3rd party gps through the integrated Infotainment system.

The shop doesn't know for sure, but the gps does not seem to be a Garmin engine, as the firmware and map references are different and the literature says it is designed to work with the online Harley Ride Planner. Well, the Ride Planner does not allow the use of Custom POIs, does not allow for planned layover times, and does not have all (or even most) of the editing features of Basecamp, Mapsource or S&T, so if you're doing any serious planning you will be required to use something other than Ride Planner. The problem with using other planning software is that you will have a mis-match of map data between what you plan on your pc and what the built-gps uses, and that can cause serious routing changes when your gps re-calculates imported routes.

The greater issue, though, is that the literature says routes in the gps are limited to 9 Waypoints - but one needs to know that Harley uses the word "Waypoint" the way the rest of the gps world uses Via Point or Shaping Point. Harley's term for Waypoints is actually "Locations". Well, traveling on 2-lane roads in the back country, a guy can have 9 via points in the first 100 miles - how would you plan a 2-week trip with this kind of limit?

Also, our current radios have a 2.5mm AUX input jack to plug a zumo 665 audio into, so you can hear gps directions through the bike's audio. The new systems have eliminated this AUX input, so even if I wanted to mount my 665 on the handlebars, HD has eliminated any ability to hear it through the integrated audio system.

I took a memory stick with a couple of routing files on it to the dealer yesterday afternoon and a couple of sales guys, a tech and I played some more with the Infotainment gps and confirmed the following:

- The ONLY input to the integrated audio/intercom/com/gps is via USB, the 2.5mm AUX jack on all prior year audio systems is no longer available. But the USB input is designed to accept only digital data files, not analog audio files, so the audio output from a zumo can no longer be routed through the integrated audio system.

- The gps WILL accept a gpx file planned in Basecamp.

- The gps will not only NOT ACCEPT a route with more than 9 shaping points, it will actually display spurious data if you try.

I had a 160 mile route that I rode with friends a couple of weeks ago - it was planned in B/C between Castle Rock and Estes Park, CO and was shaped by dragging the resulting route to avoid interstates and find the twisties. 2 Waypoints and 13 Via/Shaping Points.

The gps imported the route quite easily from the memory stick, but when we changed the display to show the route on the map, it not only truncated the route after the 9th via point, it displayed a spurious "floating" route segment that was not connected to the first part, and that was never part of the original.

The available literature is kinda sketchy, and folks in the shop are still coming up to speed with the new technology, so I'm sure we have a lot more to learn about the Infotainment system - I'm actually hoping I'm wrong with the concerns I've listed. But as it looks now, Harley has screwed the pooch and delivered Touring bikes that won't tour....

Look on Harley's website. They have a new adaptor to add an input from a headphone jack. This might help

Old 09-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
iPhones and iPads have Built in GPS receivers.
The WiFi only iPads do not have a GPS receiver, only the Wifi + cellular versions have it.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:20 PM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by bmugharley
Look on Harley's website. They have a new adaptor to add an input from a headphone jack. This might help
Post #446 from 4months ago, and #459 from 2 months ago - part is installed and gps is still pathetic.

FWIW, the MoCo fixed nothing for 2015....

Quick Reply: 2014 Infotainment gps - pathetic