Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo Fubar

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Zumo Fubar

I bought a Zumo 665 while on the road. I was going across country and my Garmin was giving me problems, so I stopped at a Harley dealer in Ohio and bought a Zumo 665 and had the dealership install the unit.

Fast forward a little over a month and I have no audio from the Zumo. The ZM radio isn't working or the MP3's on the SD card.

I called the local HD dealer and they said the labor isn't under warranty. I paid about $1100 for the Zumo, the mount and labor to install and it lasts for a little more than a month.

I guess I should have known better than buy the thing on the road, but who woulda thunk it would be such a pain in the ***.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

yeah, that's why i've stuck with a phone for most of those functions.

dedicated electronic hardware is always outdated the day you buy it, and the more it is supposed to do the more to go wrong.

mostly a map reader though

mike

Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

You probably just need to update the software, I will take a dedicated GPS over a phone add on anytime.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a thread on this forum started by me that should help you with your issues. Search for it.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default Update

I've got a bit of an update on the Zumo. It started out only playing on the left channel and ended up with no audio at all. The Harley dealers said Harley would warranty the parts, but I would have to pay the labor for them to check it out.

I decided I was probably more qualified to check the problem out then the typical HD tech, so I tore into it this weekend.

I was convinced the problem was with the wiring harness of the mount, so I decided to try the car mount that came with the Zumo. I ran the XM antenna to the car mount, used the cigarette lighter for power and used an audio cable to the AUX in of the stereo. It all worked fine, so I tried the handle bar mount again.

Here I think fate stepped in. When I was routing original harness back, I saw that the female connector for the audio had gotten into some of the excess grease from the head bearings. I tried to wipe it out, but the hole was too small to shove anything in there to wipe it clean. I finally said screw it and just plugged it all up.

Everything worked fine!! The whole system works as designed and I believe the problem was the connection that went to the AUX input on the stereo. There isn't much to this harness, so a bad connection seems to be a likely suspect.

For now, all is good. If anyone has problems with audio from a Zumo, I suggest using dialectric grease on the audio connections under the fairing.

Last edited by rkoivisto; 08-25-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought a non Har;ey Zumo....and after about a year and a half, the audio started acting up...sometimes I could listen to music....sometimes not. I tried to troubleshoot it.....
and finally, for $170, I sent my unit back to Garmin and they replaced it.
I did not pay anywhere near 1100 bucks for mine though.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default Aint we just proud of you?

Originally Posted by themensh
I bought a non Har;ey Zumo....and after about a year and a half, the audio started acting up...sometimes I could listen to music....sometimes not. I tried to troubleshoot it.....
and finally, for $170, I sent my unit back to Garmin and they replaced it.
I did not pay anywhere near 1100 bucks for mine though.
Everyone has different priorities If you do the average 3 to 4 K a year, your perspective is different from someone that puts on 25 to 30K annually,

I just wanted to g et a GPS system that helped me get to where I needed to go. I'm really proud that you got your needs supplied cheaper, but your needs are not my needs.

I don't really give a **** what you paid for your GPS.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Not very many good reviews on the Zumo 665.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 PM
OkieRoadWarrior66
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
Everyone has different priorities If you do the average 3 to 4 K a year, your perspective is different from someone that puts on 25 to 30K annually,

I just wanted to g et a GPS system that helped me get to where I needed to go. I'm really proud that you got your needs supplied cheaper, but your needs are not my needs.

I don't really give a **** what you paid for your GPS.
Wow, a fellow poster relates a similar problem he had and you are going to say that??? Very classy.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:24 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default True

Your right, it wasn't very classy.

I don't know why I took the post so personally.

I apologize.