Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Take on the 2014’s

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM
UltraZac
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts
Default My Take on the 2014’s

It’s been a long time coming for the MoCo to make some changes. I for one think the changes are a good thing. There are the traditionalists that will say “Liquid cooling on a Harley? No way!” With all the people complaining about heat issues the MoCo has finally addressed the issue albeit in a partial manner. Hopefully pinging won’t be such a problem if the engine runs cool enough. The traditionalists will just have to suck it up. It’s not “just another metric” as I have read from many people. It’s still a Harley. The new “Twin Cooled’ heads will remain to be proven in a few years. I have to laugh every time I read the names being coined for the new motor, “Showerhead, Toilethead, Steamin Eagle”.

The bat wing has been around for a few decades and it’s about time the issue of helmet buffeting is dealt with to a certain degree. When you see a bat wing coming at you on the road you will still recognize it. I can’t count how many times I have had to ask “what year is that?” Now, for 2014 anyway, you will know what year it is. The look of the new bat wing will eventually be accepted by those that resist change. All of the other changes such as the linked braking system will have to be proven. Give them a couple years to work all the bugs out. For those of you that buy a 2014, all the best to ya.

I for one will not be rushing out to trade my 2012 Limited for a 2014. I am extremely happy with the performance as it is now. I have far too much invested into my 2012. The 107 build, with 10,000 miles on it so far, absolutely purrs on the highway with so much passing power that I have to constantly tell myself to slow down.

Oh, one last thing, I’ll be damned if I’m going to answer the phone if I’m on my bike.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:07 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2014 touring bikes..... For the real wannabe bikers. No need to memorize roads or carry a map. No need to stop to take an important phone call. No traditional air cooled engine to last forever. All they missed was an airbag on the handlebars....

Oh, and an Arlen ness model....

Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 PM
RockyS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they could do an "auto-bubble" that encases the driver in a crash too. (Just kiddin) I looked at the 2014 this afternoon. That touchscreen model is really nice! I can't help it but want one. The cheesy plastic has got to be painted though. The one I saw had a painted inner fairing, looked real nice. For now I'll stick with my 2010 SG but maybe in 4-5 years I'll make the switch. My Cyclone Custom console gives me the same functionality until then. For a lot less money.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:38 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZac
The traditionalists will just have to suck it up.
Huh?? I can only speak for myself but I won't be "sucking it up". I will stay loyal to the brand as I have since '76 but will keep my two "old" bikes; one is realllllllllly old, it has a carburetor!!!!!!! and neither has any "infotainment" features but I will manage to get by. I just hope one of the faithful beta testers doesn't run into me while answering the phone or diddling with the GPS because he is lost.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 516 Posts

I'll never own a twin cooled twinky...no sir. No radiators on mine! If I wanted a radiator on a Harley I would buy a Vrod. My 12 runs great now that I gutted the cat, added a good air cleaner, slip ons and a race tuner. I see no need for plumbing and all of the mess that goes with it.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:08 PM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZac
It’s been a long time coming for the MoCo to make some changes. I for one think the changes are a good thing. There are the traditionalists that will say “Liquid cooling on a Harley? No way!” With all the people complaining about heat issues the MoCo has finally addressed the issue albeit in a partial manner. Hopefully pinging won’t be such a problem if the engine runs cool enough. The traditionalists will just have to suck it up. It’s not “just another metric” as I have read from many people. It’s still a Harley. The new “Twin Cooled’ heads will remain to be proven in a few years. I have to laugh every time I read the names being coined for the new motor, “Showerhead, Toilethead, Steamin Eagle”.

The bat wing has been around for a few decades and it’s about time the issue of helmet buffeting is dealt with to a certain degree. When you see a bat wing coming at you on the road you will still recognize it. I can’t count how many times I have had to ask “what year is that?” Now, for 2014 anyway, you will know what year it is. The look of the new bat wing will eventually be accepted by those that resist change. All of the other changes such as the linked braking system will have to be proven. Give them a couple years to work all the bugs out. For those of you that buy a 2014, all the best to ya.

I for one will not be rushing out to trade my 2012 Limited for a 2014. I am extremely happy with the performance as it is now. I have far too much invested into my 2012. The 107 build, with 10,000 miles on it so far, absolutely purrs on the highway with so much passing power that I have to constantly tell myself to slow down.

Oh, one last thing, I’ll be damned if I’m going to answer the phone if I’m on my bike.
I'm waiting for a 1800 V-rod engine in a bagger.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:48 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

I think the difference with the water cooled is... even the most traditionalist meat-headed Harley traditionalist knows this is the EPA forcing HD to do this... if back in 2000 they had made the TC88 water cooled (and yes the could have) just for the sake of making it water cooled it would have been a disaster for them but what I recall from a few years back was the air-cooled motor was only EPA certified till 2015, when the cats came on the bikes in 2011 I knew the jig was up. My prediction the RoadGlide comes out with a totally new modern (Overhead Cams 4 Valve per cylinder) radiator motor

Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM
reg26
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agedwards63
I think the difference with the water cooled is... even the most traditionalist meat-headed Harley traditionalist knows this is the EPA forcing HD to do this... if back in 2000 they had made the TC88 water cooled (and yes the could have) just for the sake of making it water cooled it would have been a disaster for them but what I recall from a few years back was the air-cooled motor was only EPA certified till 2015, when the cats came on the bikes in 2011 I knew the jig was up. My prediction the RoadGlide comes out with a totally new modern (Overhead Cams 4 Valve per cylinder) radiator motor
I hope your right!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 PM
TONEMANHD1
Stage III

Liquid cooled was nice on my Honda but not sure i want it on my HD but I'm a traditionalist -I guess I will have to try one to really have a true opinion

Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

All things being equal, water cooling should lead to significant increases in HP an d Torque. Emissions regulations may be forcing the issue but with or without the emissions regulations water cooling gives the engine design engineer all sorts of options and flexibility that air cooling doesn't.

Quick Reply: My Take on the 2014’s