Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question bout Belray in primary

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question bout Belray in primary

A local indy had some Belray primary oil and some Red Line shockproof in on shelf and I read here that allot like the belray and maybee shouldn't have synthetic in primary, The red line in tranny is a gimme cuz it is gear oil :}

Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Belray products. I use their v twin primary chaincase lubricant without any issues. I also use their big twin transmission oil in some of my bikes, depending on which bike/transmission. Their tranny fluid is GL5 85W -140 which is comparable to some of the heavy Amsoil, Red Line, Mobil1, Spectro and related products. I suggest you read the Belray web site to ensure you know exactly which product you are getting from your indy; once you review the summaries and then the detailed PDS and MSDS sheets you will be substantially better informed.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 PM
oly18
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just started using Belray primary chaincase oil in my 2012 road king and I really like it,I have 2000 miles on it so far,Im sold on redline shockproof for my transmission,and they are both red,my mind says if its red its better.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

X 2 what Harleyeglideman said.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:50 PM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

The primary is oiling the chain, compensator and the clutch....the clutch is more susceptable to slipping with the synthetic and blend oils. probably more noticeable under harder riding or stop and go situations where you may be slipping the clutch a little anyway. Belray has made really good tranny oils for dirt bikes which also have a wet clutch and now many have the same oil in the tranny and motor (4 strokes). Amsoil make good oil as well as silkolene. however, i notice my dirt bike clutch slips when i use the silkolene synthetic...
harlay primarys are not ordinarily under those kinds of loads and conditions.
food for thought...

Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Barnett

Oils
As far as what oils to use, we generally suggest following the manufacturer's recommendations. Use good quality motorcycle oils and lubricants. The main purpose of oils in a "wet" clutch application (as far as the clutch pack itself is concerned) is to act as a coolant. Oils flowing through the clutch plates help to keep the plates cooler, resulting in smoother clutch action and longer life. Using too heavy viscosity can cause plates to stick when cold.

Synthetic oil, by its nature, has extra lubricity. This can be a real advantage for the engine, but a disadvantage for a wet clutch. Synthetic oils can cause a worn clutch to fail. All Barnett wet clutches are designed to be run with synthetic or petroleum based oils. * Remember, the single best insurance you can have for your clutch and bike is to keep clean, good quality oil in it!